Which one: A04, A05 or wait for A06?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by SciFi, Jun 13, 2003.

1. SciFi

SciFi Guest

Hi, I currently have an A04 which I can sell. I just don't know if I should...confused. I can use the money to buy an A05 but I see some people have problems with this drive. The A06 I thought was going to be 8x but I've read that it really going to be a 4x, so is it really worth to upgrade and pay the difference (I think the only advantage to write dvd+r disk and faster cd burns, which I don't care about)? I used to use a lot of princos but now I using a house brand that uses maxwell media id and seems to work fine (they're certified to work 2x). Will the A05 ever be able to burn 2x disks at 4x? Or should i just hang on to my A04? Any advice appreciated.

Oohh, what's a computer junkie to do? ???

2. djillini

djillini Regular member

I was in the same situation...& I ended up going with the a04...Lets just say I am very pleased & have no problems what so ever!

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Buy the A05 since it has just dropped dramtically in price since the introduction of the A06. Only go with the A06 if you intend on using both +/- R as thats what you are paying for because they are virtually identical.

4. SciFi

SciFi Guest

I tend to agree with Oriphus.
    Thanks

5. SciFi

SciFi Guest

2 questions though: the problems that some people are having are strictly due to firmware issues (where they're able to write 2x but now only 1x or something like that)? Is there any talk of a 4x4all being a possibility?

6. djillini

djillini Regular member

A05 is probably a good choice, but I still love my A04...A co-worker of mine bought the A05 and has been unhappy for the most part because it tends not to like alot of the cheaper media. But if money isn't an issue you might as well go for the A06 and buy the higher priced media.

7. SciFi

SciFi Guest

Thanks djillini, that's what I've been trying to clear up. The A04 will take the cheaper media and A05 wont. And I do tend to use the cheaper ones. I have a spool of 100 & I wouldn't want to have a problem with them with the A05. I was hoping to reap the benefits of the A05 (with the option of 4x) but still use what I use now (Princos and lately those generic house brand with the Maxwell ID. Note: I didn't use to have pixelling problems with princos before but occasionally now I do so I switched to a generic house brand, although they look like the same color dye of the princos but silver on top, because they were recommended by my trusted vendor who assured me I would have any problems and I haven't. In fact I'm quite happy so far). So then, I guess, I should stay with my A04? Oh well.