Why can't I write at 1X?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by TuneOut, Apr 13, 2003.

1. TuneOut

TuneOut Guest

I have a Sony 500ULX dvd burner, but no matter what program I use to burn with, I can't burn at 1X. Is there any particular reason why this is happening? I'm using Sony DVD-R discs(DMR47L1), but they don't say what speed they are. I'm assuming that writeable DVD's have the same rules as CDR's. If a CDR is 24X, then it can be recorded on up to that speed. So is this the same of DVDr's? If so, then why am I only given the choice of writing at either 2.5X or 4X? Thanks in advance._X_X_X_X_X_[small]______________________________________
    Sony DRX-500ULX External Burner
    PS2 39001 V7
    Magic 3.1[/small]

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Have you flashed you burner with any firmware?

3. TuneOut

TuneOut Guest

Not that I know of, it still has the same firmware (2.0c) that it came with. I saw something about updating it to 2.0e, but I don't want to mess anything up.

4. herbsman

If it's an official firmware you have absolutely no problem.

I've done both of my drives:
    Pioneer DVD-RW 104 f/w 1.31
    Lite-On DVD-Rom 165H f/w CH11

Pioneer f/w was to help me downgrade...it did the job nicely. It wasn't an official firmware,but no probs still !!

http://forum.firmware-flash.com/

The reason I asked about f/w anyway is because some ppl after flashing their Pioneer a05/105 are experiencing the same problem you'd descibed above.
    Nero even says it's burning @ X1 but due to quickness of speed of burn ppl know for a fact that it just burnt @ X2.

Just read plenty before or if f/w flashing your drive & go into confidently.People have created the flash firmware to help not hinder but it's always an individuals choice as to whether they walk a certain path.

lol

Anyway good luck w/ your non X1 burning capabilities.

5. xgasman

xgasman Member

At this time in dvdr development the writing speed of dvd disks is controlled by the drive and the disks, not the software as in cdrs. So if your drive is set to do 2x,2.4x,4x etc. and the disk you use is 4x and you have no hardware problems you'll burn at 4x. Maybe in the future the software may be able to control the burning speed.

6. TuneOut

TuneOut Guest

The reason why I asked is because I've heard that a lot of the problems people have with not backing up is that they are writing to fast. I also heard that bad media can work just as good as the more expensive kind if you just slow your burn speed.

7. herbsman

I agree with that wholeheartedly (through experience...some coasters thru experimentation)