1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do installed programs create a shortcut to public\desktop instead of user\desktop?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Bloodleh, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Bloodleh

Bloodleh Newbie

Hi,

I just reinstalled Windows 7 and I have only one user account. Whenever I install a new program which creates a shortcut on the desktop, it places the shortcut in C:\Users\Public\Desktop (also called Public Desktop) instead of C:\Users\MYUSER\Desktop.

It never happened before the reinstalling so it must be some very super-secret hidden setting somewhere. I am the only user on the computer anyway, so it doesn't make any sense to add anything to public-folder. Also I am kind of a perfectionist and small things like these really piss me off :p

Any idea how to make stuff ONLY appear on C:\Users\MYUSER\Desktop when an install is performed and the setup creates a shortcut to the desktop? Also, if possible, any info about disabling everything to do with public folders is appreciated.

Thank you!

2. LDee

LDee Regular member

The only thing that determines whether an icon is placed in all users or a specific users desktop is the intention of the coders who made the software, and sometimes user options during the install.

Are you saying that program x used to always write icons to your user desktop, but now on your reinstalled system using exactly the same installer and install options, now will only create the icon in the public desktop?