1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why is seeding torrents important?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by caffeine_, Oct 7, 2006.

1. caffeine_

caffeine_ Guest

i know that everyone tells you that "YOU MUST SEED THOSE TORRENTS!!!"....but is it really important? I mean besides keeping the torrent alive, will it really effect your download speed later? Is it true that you can get banned from certain tracker for freeloading? How do people know if you are (its not like certain people sit and watch the IP addresses that imeadiatly hit 100% then quit) do they?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum

3. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Yes it is important to seed 1 to 1. The more seeders there are on a torrent the faster the torrent is. You are not downloading the torrent from the actual site you get it from. You are downloading it off another user that has it on their computer.

Let’s say someone uploads a torrent to a site and that person seeds at 100kbps. At first every single leecher is trying to get the file from the uploader which if there are 10 leechers then each leecher is approximately getting the file at 10kbps.

Let’s say the 10 people finish downloading the torrent from the uploader. Each also is seeding at a speed of 100kbps.

That means the total speed of the torrent after the 10 get done downloading the file is 1100kbps. Because 10 are seeding at 100kbps and the original uploader is seeding at 100kbps. So if there are 11 more leechers getting the file now each of those leechers are approximately getting the file at 100kbps instead of 10kbps because there is a 1 to 1 ratio per seeder & leecher.

If everyone just downloaded the file from the uploader and stopped seeding without seeding the torrent 1:1 then the uploader will always be stuck seeding. Which the speed of the torrent will hardly go up because the leechers will always outnumber the seeder.

Yes on most private trackers you can be banned for not seeding back 1:1. They know if you do because your torrent client reports to their server and tells them how much you have downloaded of the file and how much you have seeded back to others of the file. They can do this because the tracker you get the torrent from is keeping track of this. So if you stop seeding a torrent that you have not seeded back 1:1 then their system will auto warn you. If you get enough warnings then you more then likely will be banned.

So it is important to seed back at least what you take. So if you download a file that is 1GB then seed back 1GB. That is why it is called FILE SHARING. People are considerate enough to share their stuff you can repay them back by seeding back what you take so others can enjoy it as well.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  4. caffeine_

caffeine_ Guest

Thank you larrylje for explaining that well for me.

I just wasnt sure if one person like me uploading the file really helped in the grand scheme of things....but boy was i wrong, it seems that the torrents need all the uploaders that they can get.