1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii Compatible USB HDD's

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by tegan1110, Aug 18, 2009.

1. tegan1110

tegan1110 Member

Does anyone know of a comprehensive list of external USB Hard Drives and their compatibility with the Nintendo Wii?

If one such list exists, then please direct me to it(I already googled and came up with VERY little useful information).

Im thinking of buying one of these WD 1TB 3.5" HDD but dont want to waste my dough if it wont work with my Wii.

I look forward to hearing back from you all!

Tegan1110

EDIT: Click the WD 1TB 3.5" HDD link, i appologise, it doesnt seem to stand out, it seems to just blend in with the other text!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

3. tegan1110

tegan1110 Member

Hi,

Thanks for that, don't know why my search didnt turn up with the goods, my search phrases are normally very accurate!

Seems the drive i posted is on there as "Working" so i will try and invest in one over the next week or two.

Thanks again!

Tegan1110

4. ste105

ste105 Member

I tried a Western Digital 500GB passport drive last night (WD500MES)....no power supply needed :)

Got it on dabs.ie for 110 euro

5. tegan1110

tegan1110 Member

Well i just bought a Iomega Select 500Gb Desktop Drive from Comet for £44.99, and im MOST impressed. (LINK - Dont know how long that link will last, i suppose it depends on how often COMET update their website!)

Worked first time (Once partitioned and formatted FAT32(2Gb)/WBFS(Remainder)) - Now comes the mammoth task of installing my many many original games. I love the HDD, its AWESOME (and IMO a bargain too!)

TY to everyone for their advice!

Tegan1110

6. Riffbear

Riffbear Guest

Ive got the WD 250 Passbook and it does not work for me :(

I keep getting "Loading your slow usb device" It counts down from 30 then when it hits 1 it goes back to the home page. very frustrated.

7. Riffbear

Riffbear Guest

Ive also tried all other available usb loaders and none work. Errors

8. tegan1110

tegan1110 Member

Have you tried the HDD connected to the OTHER usb port on your wii? Mine will only work on the RHS one (as you face the USB Ports)

Hope it helps!

9. Riffbear

Riffbear Guest

Have tried both ports. Doesn't work :(

10. cradledan

cradledan Member

Riffbear, try plugging in the drive at different times too. Like, before you turn on the wii, after you've turned on the wii, before you load your usb loader, after you've loaded it, and so on. If still no luck, then i'm afraid your usb drive seems not to be compatible.

Also, maybe try reformating the drive to wbfs again (the whole drive, not a partition) and leaving it blank, and see if the wii picks it up then. Good luck. :)

11. servane

servane Member

Hi guys!
    I can confirm that the iomega HDD works perfectly, and it is now cheaper at comet BTW. The only thing is: don't forget to set this HDD as being a primary drive, and not logical. I used the free EASUS partition master to do so. leave it unformatted. WBFS doesn't like it at first, but I then rebooted my machine and WBFS could then format it correctly.
    Thanks Tegan for the heads up!

Servane

12. servane

servane Member

Here is the link to EASEUS partition master

13. tegan1110

tegan1110 Member

Typical huh! Still, its now even better value, especially as we can confirm on more than one account that it works great with the wii!

BTW, I used WindowsXP's partitioning tool to partition my drive, worked first time, and WBFS didn't bitch about it at all! 2GB FAT32, and remainder partitioned but unformatted ready for WBFS - worked first time with absolutely no problems at all!

All I can say to everyone is get these Iomega drives whilst you can, at under £40 for 500GB you really can't go wrong!

PS: Your link for "EASEUS partition master" just re-directs to THIS forum thread, i think you meant to link HERE: http://www.partition-tool.com/ (Although why download extra software when the "built-in" components of Windows work great?!?)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  14. wheelo

wheelo Regular member

can anyone reccomend a portable 500G that is compatible? it has to be a portable as i dont have any power points left near the wii and the television.
    I am in Dublin. as reasonable a price as possible.
    thanks
    Wheelo

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009