1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii Emulators and WAD files

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by core2kid, Sep 28, 2009.

1. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

First off I'm gonna start by saying that if you're just gonna comment and say "Google it" or "Do the research" please don't post. I have researched and not come up with a straight response which is why I've turned to AD forums.

I just successfully softmodded my Wii and was able to run my backed up discs fine. I can also run apps from the homebrew channel via SD card. I now want to know, if I was to go ahead and download the NES emulator here:
    http://fceugc.googlecode.com/files/FCE Ultra GX 3.0.9 - Wii.zip
    How do I take a file like that and install it to the Wii channel? I can either install it to the Wii memory or a 2GB SD card that I'll always keep inside.

Also is there any chance of damage to the Wii this way?

I'm hoping that if I get how to install 1 emulator I'll figure out how to do the rest.

2. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

install with wad manager, or run it straight from HBC (recommended)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  3. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

The file that I linked you to is not a WAD file. Also I have some WAD files that are ready to be installed. What IOS do I install them under? What is an IOS?

4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Be warned if you reply to this members thread you will need to spoon feed them and probably wipe there a$$ after. They will not Google and learn how to do this stuff on there own even though there is tons of information out there on how to do it (including links on how to do this stuff in the Ultimate Stickie Thread).

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  5. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

larrylje, you have no reason to be posting here.
    If anybody else would like to help me I would really appreciate it.

6. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I helped you but you refuse to do the work. There is a Homebrew Application Sticky in the Ultimate Sticky Thread that has links to homebrew apps and how to install and use them. You just refuse to do the work yourself.

All your doing is waisting space on this sight by starting threads that could be avoided if you spent time looking through the Ultimate Stickied Thread in the first place or even used Google at that.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  7. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

If You would have said that earlier that would have helped me out a lot. No Google search revealed that thread and I completely forgot about sticked threads here.

8. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

What IOS is this all supposed to be installed on? Is IOS249 for all the homebrew?

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

larry, knock it off.

10. arturoima

arturoima Member

In order to get the Emulators on the Wii Menu (As channels) You need to find a file with the .wad extension.

Here are some popular .wad emulators

http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=158427

You can find the NES SNES GBA emulators in the .wad format.

Once you download the .wads, get a Wad manager to install the wads which will become Channels.

Use WAD Manager v1.4 by Waninkoko
    http://www.mediafire.com/?scwhmzam1mn

Put the WAD manager folder in the apps folder of your SD Card (I asumme you know how to do that)

Put the .wad in a folder named 'wad' on the root of the SD card

Start the WAD Manager on the homebrew selecting IOS249 (for all wad installations) and the SD Slot as the source

wads will come up and install them one by one make sure you don't run out of memory on the wii. once installed returned to the Wii system memory and the Emulators will be as channels.

For info on how to store roms or play check out
    http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/List_of_homebrew_emulators

11. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Thanks for that, I'll go ahead and install them. Is there any chance of bricking the Wii? Also wanted to ask, is there a 100% functional N64 emulator for Wii? Most of the games are VC downloads but I've not seen a 100% functional N64 emulator. Maybe I'm missing something but is there one?
    To save me some time, could you tell me which emulators are NOT 100% functional? I'll only install the ones that are 100% functional.

12. arturoima

arturoima Member

1. Try not to download unconfirmed working wads. Some say a corrupted wad may brick your Wii. Download wads from this page:
    http://wehackwii.pbworks.com/VC-Wads

2. Today, they released a stable N64 Emulator; Wii64 Beta 1. Download it and put it in the apps folder of your SD Card, there's no wad yet so run it from Homebrew.
    http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii64

3. If you Download the emulators from the page i posted earlier, they will work pretty good, I haven't had any problems with them. There are the best emulators for Wii out there.
    FCE Ultra GX
    Snes9x GX
    Visual Boy Advance GX
    Wii64 (Still needs improvements but is ok to use it)