1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

win7 iso cd

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by rtrg, Mar 31, 2020.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

first a little background, please bear with me. this will be a long post. 2 desktops a matched pairs of hp elite 8000 cmt. win7 pro in both. both use a cloned hdd. one was replaced with same model. I have done a fresh install of the OS several times to solve issues no other method solved. the original hdd was 160 gig, was replaced with 500 gig, hence the cloning of the 160 to the 500 twice using the same desktop.

the issue is I burned an iso cd for emergency because the recovery partition of both does not always work and the installation CDs take 3 hours to finish, not to mention the time to reinstall my 32 apps. with either solution I do NOT need to activate. downloading the ISO from MS requires my product key which I found by using a key finder app. the app found the same key for both desktops. the seller gave me the key for the replaced desktop. neither worked on the MS site. I downloaded the ISO from another site that does not require a key. burned the dvd with no issue. the DVD is detected and allows me to start the installation. so I know the DVD is bootable. issue is that if needed I do not know if I will need the key(s) I have for activation or if I can skip key entering and still activate or skip activation and end up with a usable installation for forever. I do not want phone activation because I do not want to get myself in trouble with MS. these are MY desktops only for my use. is the original product key for either/both desktops stored somewhere in the system? are the keys the same because the HDDs were cloned? since both keys will probably be rejected does that mean the DVD will be of no use? if yes I will erase it and stick with my installation CDs. and all the time it takes.

2. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I suggest that you post here-

https://www.sevenforums.com/

They have very experienced people there who can give you a definitive answer.

3. aldan

aldan Active member

so let me understand,youve burnt an iso of win7?this should be the same as the install dvd you already have.you have to make sure that this iso is both bootable and the correct version for your product key.now to the product keys.did you,in fact,get the keys off of your machines or from a vendor?again,key must match version.buying keys is risky because usually they are not legitimate keys and ms will refuse them.

4. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

the 2 desktops came with two different COAs. both HDDs were replaced with a 500gig drive. BOTH keys are rejected by the ISO cd. even the MS ISO download page rejects both keys. MAGICAL JELLY BEAN found the same product key for both desktops. I needed to download the ISO from a non ms site. image burned and read correctly. I found a third party site that provided a long list of product keys for my edition of the OS. I will try to use any/all from that list if I need to use the CD. the recovery console nor does my install CDs ask for keys or activation. the CDs install process is a long one. 3 hours. F11 does not always work. boot order screen does not always display. I thought the ISO CD would be a good shorter method. would any of these website keys work? why the key finder finds the same key on both desktops I do not know. it could be that I used the 160gig preinstalled win7 hdd to clone the 4 500gig HDDs. maybe the one key was cloned to the 4 drives. the cd set always works. so I guess that is my best choice.

5. aldan

aldan Active member

i would give that a try for sure.its either that or google daz loader.

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

CD keys will only work for the version of windows you are attempting to install. You cannot use a windows home serial key on a windows pro etc. It also will not work if the key is for say a copy of win 7 vs a win 7 sp1 etc,etc.
    Keys you find on the net will most likely not work as ms would've flagged them & banned

When up against activation i do what aldan mentions daz loader v2.2.2
    You should see these files.If there is only a .exe don't open it then delete & find a better source

checksums.md5 145 bytes
    Keys.ini 15.9 KB
    Read me.txt 32.0 KB 36.0 KB
    Windows Loader.exe 3.83 MB

aldan likes this.
  7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

scorp, the 1 i have has 5 files in it but works alright.

8. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I tried to use my keys provided by MAGICAL JELLY BEAN to download the ISO from MS official site. as expected both were rejected. yes I did ADD sp1 as some apps required it. perhaps that explains it. I downloaded the ISO from another site that did not require a key. the first dialog on the burned disc is "install now" as screenshots show. I burned this to use in an emergency. what I do not know if my keys will be rejected or if the disc will even ask for them. if the disc proceeds to the end with or with out keys I do not know if activation is next or needed. I downloaded keys from a third party site that are said to be legitimate from desktops no one have used. whether SP1 is part of these keys is unknown, probably not. if non of this works I will need to resort to my cd set when recovery console fails. that is a time consuming process. i was hoping the disc would be as fast as the recovery console. which as I said is not always available. I have even resorted to cloning HDDs from one desktop to another in order to restore the non functioning desktop. it always works. I bought 4 500gig HDDs to replace the original 160. I kept that as my "MASTER" to clone from to the first 500. from there I cloned all 3 remaining from the MASTER one by one. is the burned disc as fast as the cloning method or recovery method if I can get it to work? I know this might seem trivial questions for all you experienced members but I am self taught and found REAL computer learning classes to be far more "TECHNICAL" for me to understand. so my 30 year quest began. I hope you members understand my "stupid" questions.

9. ddp

forget downloading the iso from MS as it won't work as you need the OEM version that your computer came with. the original 160gig hd has a recovery partition in it to reload windows & other software. there should be a program that came with that "other software" to create recovery dvd disks(not cd disks as they hold 700mb each compared to a dvd's 4.7gb). look for that program as i've seen it on different computers made by different manufacturers.

just to let you know i am self taught as i went to the "school of hard knocks" & i've been playing around computers since the mid 80's & got my 1st ibm compatible xt turbo clone in 1991 that did not come with os that i downloaded from existing computers at work.

10. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Welcome back stranger

11. ddp

i've been around or this site would be fully loaded with spammers & spam posts.