winAVI won't burn DVD but OK with VCD

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by AL_0412, May 9, 2006.

1. AL_0412

AL_0412 Guest

Hi I'm having trouble with winAVI- it won't burn DVD's but it'll burn VCD's

I started using winAVI a month ago, and everything was fine. I converted some movies from *.rmvb to DVD format, creating the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders.

I then open the DVD burning wizard, and added the DVD movie (by selecting the VIDEO_TS folder and clicking "OK"), then clicking on "starting to burn". The whole process is fine.

Until I ran out of DVD's... I bought some new ones (DVD-R, 1-16x) and repeated the above process. The little box on the right changed from red to green once the disk is loaded, but when I click on "starting to burn", nothing happened! The status bar stayed at 0% and the remaining time didn't changed from 0:00:00 at all.

I thought there were something wrong with the disks, incompatibility with my 8x DVD burner- so I exchanged the pack for DVD+R, 1-8x

But still it won't burn. I thought I was adding movies wrongly, so instead of selecting the VIDEO_TS folder, I just selected the dvd_0 folder, and clicked on "starting to burn". This time, the disk is burnt with only the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders, but the folders are empty.

There are nothing wrong with this pack of disks as I tried them- burnt data with Sonic RecordNow and they're fine.

But with burning VCD's, winAVI is working fine. I converted the same *.rmvb files to VCD format instead and winAVI burnt them as VCD's ok.

What's going on???

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

I have Winavi but have never used its burning engine for burning to dvd. Maybe you could burn with e.g. Nero and see if it works?

3. AL_0412

AL_0412 Guest

Sorry but which kind of Nero? There's a million variations of its software out there :eek:)

4. June_0606

June_0606 Regular member

Do you have the debug.log about the burn?

5. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Ah, you are quite right. For burning video_ts folders, I usually use Nero Recode. I have Recode 2.

6. AL_0412

AL_0412 Guest

I have a debug log, but it's from burning VCD's, not my failed attempted at burning a DVD (i've given up on them for a while)... as mentioned before, winAVI pretty much just sat there after i put a blank DVD in, with the progress bar not moving at all...

i emailed winAVI and they suggested that i upgrade to v7.5 (i have 7.1 at the moment)... problem is, i don't really want to fork out to them again unless it's definitely going to work...

7. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Winavi 7.5 is getting much better, more flexible, many more settings.