windows 95 games on XP

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by CHEESEPIE, Jun 19, 2006.

1. CHEESEPIE

CHEESEPIE Regular member

so i was looking thru my old games and i saw this game Called Cold shadow and remembered how freakin awesome it was. i try to play it, it says it wont work. How can i play a game that is for 95 on my XP

2. pressed

pressed Regular member

windows xp has a program called compatability tool, what you do is look at the properties of the exe file for the game, and then you go to compatability, and check windows 95, and usually that will work. I got Star Wars: Tie fighter 95 cd running with that. Alternatively, if it can run in dos, then you can use a dos emulator. Furthermore, you can do a virtual PC of windows 95 if you have that program. OR! you could dual boot win 95 and xp, but ur system is prolly too advanced for that game to work right, so i would go with the compatability tool or using a dos emulator. If I can get leisure suit larry 1 running, you can get that game running!

3. pepsimaxx

pepsimaxx Regular member

if its a DOS game and you are trying to run it on XP and its going really fast, you might want to try DOSbox. its a DOS emulator. it will run the games right, if you dont get it. try the front end, D-Fend.

4. CHEESEPIE

CHEESEPIE Regular member

well i have no idea how to install it in dos and does unable to link to kernell.dll mean anything

5. pressed

pressed Regular member

yea, just run it in the dosbox emu, it ought to work.

6. depaladin

depaladin Member

Yeah - sometimes Ive tried to use the compatability thing on old games, and the thing still didnt work.

Is running in DOS the same as the command prompt? or is that something completely different

7. pressed

pressed Regular member

@depaladin: No, it is different, the command prompt in XP is for other things and while it resembles DOS, and uses the commands, it is still running in windows and will not act the same way as a true DOS setup would. You should use dosbox. It is a great emulator that you can run where it emulates an entire DOS PC. It has an emulated floppy disk, hard drive(s), cd-rom, and sound blaster 16, and 16 bit SVGA graphics with I think a 66 mhz cpu, should run just about anything from 96 and before with ease and will make it look great. You just have to remember that since it is all virtual, you have to use the commands to mount things to its "drives" it isn't going to recognize anything you have on your system until you mount a virtual one. So for example, its only going to see what you tell it, not what is actually all on your C drive. Its not too difficult to figure out the readme file tells it all.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006