Windows crash! Help!

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by na86, Sep 17, 2006.

1. na86

na86 Member

hi, im running a brand new system (self-build). If i play around in windows, everything runs great. but as soon as i start playing a game (currently AOE 3), either the game shuts down and i end up back on the desktop, or the computer restarts, and iwhen i load windows back up, it says that it recovered from a seriour error. Please help casue i only built the comp for games, but at the moment i cant play any.

AMD X2 4600+
    1 Gig RAM
    120GB Hard Drive
    Windows XP Home
    DFI LanParty UT DR-SLI Expert

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

No graphics card ?
    Also, google your Mobo's name, and have a look, i found a lot of questions about this mobo...
    And i do take it all your drivers/firmware/etc. are up to date ?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2006
  3. na86

na86 Member

yeah sry, forgot to put the graphics card in. its a nVidia 7900GT 512MB. as far as i know, all my drivers/firmware is up to date. i went to all the respective websites and downloaded the most recent updates. also, once the computer restarts, and i get the 'recovered from a serious error' msg, i sent it into microsoft, and they replied that it was one of my drivers that is causing windows to crash. I can only assume it has to be my graphics card, or something like that cause it only happenes when i play games.

4. tycobb

tycobb Regular member

it may be directx.It's wierd but sometimes you have to reinstall it.

click start>run>and type dxdiag.exe

from here you can do some tests and also check in the bottom boxes for any problems found.You could also try some free bench marking software such as 3dmark06 which will do some tests and believe me friend it will tell you if it's the gfx card because you'll know.Here's a link

http://www.futuremark.com/products/

Besides with a rig as good as you have you'll want some benchmarking software sooner or later anyways :)

5. na86

na86 Member

thanks for all the help mate. it been killing me trying to figure out what the problem is. hopefully this will solve it. fingers crossed.

6. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

Did you over clock your CPU? Sometimes when I overclock my cpu too much the same thing happens to me. The game seems to crash or the computer reboots. It's odd, but when I move the bus speed back the problem goes away forever. It happend with my old CPU and my new one i just got. I guess I had to find a medium.

7. coolbrz

coolbrz Member

I think i'm having the same problem..when I am installing a game, righ in the middle of installing, my computer just reboots!! WTF!