Windows Games and DX10

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by 0Nobody0, Sep 8, 2007.

1. 0Nobody0

0Nobody0 Guest

I was wondering if DX10 is only to be released to an x64 or Vista OS?

I am currently using XP Pro x32........

2. 0Nobody0

0Nobody0 Guest

Well i found my own answer.....and posting it for you all.

This is from WIKI.

[edit] DirectX 10
    For the list of games that (will) support DirectX 10, see List of games with DirectX 10 support.
    Windows Vista ships with DirectX 10 and is the only version of Windows for which it is offered, and it has a large number of changes: DirectInput will be deprecated in favor of XInput, from the Xbox team. Likewise, DirectSound will also be deprecated in favor of XACT. DirectX 10 has also dropped support for hardware accelerated audio, opting instead to render sound in software on the CPU.

In order to achieve backwards compatibility with previous versions of Direct3D, DirectX 10 contains three versions of Direct3D:[1]

Direct3D 9: emulates Direct3D 9 behavior as it was on Windows XP. Details and advantages of Vista's Windows Display Driver Model are hidden from the application if WDDM drivers are installed. This is the only API available if there are only XP graphic drivers (XPDM) installed, after an upgrade to Vista for example.
    Direct3D 9Ex (known internally during Windows Vista development as 9.0L or 9.L, the L referring to Longhorn, the codename for Windows Vista): allows full access to the new capabilities of WDDM (if WDDM drivers are installed) while maintaining compatibility for existing Direct3D applications. The Windows Aero user interface relies on D3D 9Ex.
    Direct3D 10: Designed around the new driver model in Windows Vista and featuring a number of improvements to rendering capabilities and flexibility, including Shader Model 4.