Windows Movie Maker in XP Pro

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by scrumhalf, Dec 16, 2006.

1. scrumhalf

scrumhalf Member

I am trying to use Movie Maker to edit out the adverts in films on my HD before burning to DVDs. I can load the film into a new project in Movie Maker. However,each time I try to edit,the software freezes and then Microsoft apologises and says it must shut the software down. I have added a new registry key as advised in FAQ, but it has made NO difference.
    I have previously used VideoReDo as a super fast MPEG Editor and TMPGEnc as the MPEG encoder with excellent results. These have now time expired; rather than pay $80+ I thought I would like to use the FREE Movie Maker in XP. Would appreciate help with this.
    Scrumhalf.

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

What's even better at getting rid of menus etc is DVDShrink. You can get that free off Google. Load up your dvd/vob files into it and then backup only the main movie (or whatever you want).

Edit: Here's a great guide on it!

Hope it helps :)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  3. scrumhalf

scrumhalf Member

Thanks for your help. DVDShrink looks great and I'm sure will be very useful. However I cannot open the .mpeg files on my hard disk with DVDShrink. Is there a conversion process I need to complete before opening? There is a tab for re-authoring, but this does not see my .mpeg files either! [The files are from copying a film using a standard TV card. I have several on my hard disk and wish to release the space by putting them on DVDs after editing.] Hope you can help further.
    Re Movie Maker in XP; is it a complete waste of time or can it be made to work?
    Scrumhalf.

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

You need to convert those files first. Search the site for info on that.

RE Movie Maker: I have only ever used it to make avis of pics etc, nothing dramactic, but I know people have made very impressive movies with it. Bear in mind this is a movie maker not editor, though.

5. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

AFAIK Windows Movie Maker doesn't have an MPEG encoder so you'll end up with AVI files, which will need encoded back to MPEG to author DVDs from them. I've been using VideoReDo for a couple of years now, and I think it's well worth the price, however there's a free editor that should do what you want called Cutterman. The interface isn't as friendly and you have to demux the video and audio first, but that's why you pay for a more user friendly editor. There's also an excellent quality free MPEG encoder called HC that you could use to replace TMPGEnc.