windows security update pwnd me

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by pdw_oo7, Jun 26, 2004.

1. pdw_oo7

pdw_oo7 Member

ok so i was trying to get rid of all the spyware on my computer and i downloaded and installed the windows security update 1 (can't remember the exact name - but could find it out) and when i went to restart after installing it now windows will not boot up

it starts and then when it should come up with the xp logon screen it just restarts and begins to scan the drives, etc. again...

the most important thing would be just to be able to logon again and backup my files by burning them onto DVD's - i'm just not sure where to start with this type of problem - i have only a little experience with the pre-boot configurations (bios, restore, etc.)

any and all help is greatly appreciated cause im not taking this and paying 69.95 for a tech at a retail store to fix it in 5 minutes

Thanks this site is the best.

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Looks like you have definately been infected with malware (spyware) -- Best you hold that F8Key when you boot and get in Safe Mode.

You did say XP logon -- so go start -->Help and Support ---> Undo changes to your Computer with System Restore.
    From there you can select a restore point previous to you installing what you suspect is causing your problem booting.

For the spyware -~ :: i have answered this on another thread but will repeat here.

Go to ==>:
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

and get CWShredder ~~ while you are there also get
    HijackThis .

1) run CWShredder -- reboot and see if your malware has been taken care of.

2) if it is still there -- run HijackThis , save the log and post it on http://forums.spywareinfo.com/ , within minutes someone will reply with the proper sequence to cure your PC. -- It could be me or one of the benevolent people helping there, unfortunately without that log it is impossible to diagnose for you. ~~smiles !

Best of luck !

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper !

Take Care.[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2004
  3. pdw_oo7

pdw_oo7 Member

the thing is that it won't boot up in safe mode either - i hold f8 and choose that option then it restarts again as it has been doing

and i can't get to the XP logon screen - it restarts right before this SHOULD come up

As far as CWShredder - I ran that program right before i downloaded and installed the windows security update.
    The program ran fine, but at the end it had a section about how to prevent the problem from happening again, and the advice it gave was to download that Windows Security update and install it.

So when CWShredder was finished i dl'd the Security update, installed it, AND THEN restarted. That was the last time I was logged in to windows, and since then i have not been able to logon or boot windows in safe mode.

Again I was approaching a reformat anyways, but I really would like to be able to log on one more time and burn my files instead of taking out the HDD and using another computer, etc.

So I guess if I can just logon and be able to utilize the burners 1 more time that would be good enough... but how I don't know

Last edited: Jun 26, 2004
  4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

pdw ~~ i just finished reading your original post -- where you say "it starts and then when it should come up with the xp logon screen it just restarts and begins to scan the drives, etc. again... "

This to me looks so much like a hardware problem !

See Windows Xp on boot-up does a complete scan of your hardware and then if it encounters a system failure , automatically reboots without warning.The setting that controls this can be changed:
    Control Panel/System/Advanced/Settings (Startup & Recovery)/System Failure/Uncheck-Automatically Restart if you ever get back on to your Desktop. ~~smiles.
    I would suggest you pull and push on all the cards , plugs and the likes connected to your motherboard. Pay close attention to the 2 Host Adapters plugs that connect the 2 IDE Controllers on board your Hard Disks / CD Drives. Verify both ends.
    Once you have somewhat eliminated the possibility of loose parts causing the stopage ----->>:
    By all means , BEFORE doing a reformat ; you can use your Windows Xp CD and have it REPAiR your O/S.
    That feature is available as a choice on the Main Screen. I have seen a corrupted Kernel32.dll engender this problem on a few machines in our lab testing. Dont know your knowledge in Computer technology so am gonna trade my System Engineer smock for a layman one and label the procedure for you as follows:-

Use the Windows Recovery Console to extract a new copy of the Kernel32.dll file from the original Windows XP compact disc (CD). To do this, follow these steps:

1. Start the Recovery Console. If you do not have the Recovery Console installed, start it from the Windows XP compact disc (CD). To do this, follow these steps:

a. Insert the Windows XP CD and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.

b. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the repair or recover option by pressing R.

c. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the recovery console.

d. When prompted, type the Administrator password.

2. At the command prompt, type "cd system32" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.

3. Type "ren kernel32.dll kernel32.old" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.

4. Type "map" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.

5. Note the drive letter assigned to the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD. It is displayed in a format similar to the following: D: \Device\CdRom0

6. Type "expand <drive>\i386\kernel32.dl_" (without the quotation marks) (where <drive> is the drive letter of the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD), and then press ENTER. For example:

Expand d:\i386\kernel32.dl_ <ENTER>

Note the underscore character after the "L" in Kernel32.dl_

The following message appears: Kernel32.dll, 1 file(s) expanded.

7. Type "exit" (without the quotation marks). The computer restarts.

8. Remove the Windows XP CD and start the computer normally.

~~~ hoping i have made this as understandable as it can be !

Take Care.[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2004
  5. pdw_oo7

pdw_oo7 Member

k, i checked the connections to EVERYTHING and it still had the same problem, so i went onto the system recovery steps posted above BUT...

I can get to the command prompt fine and to the system32 folder, but when i try Step #3 typing in "ren kernel32.dll kernel32.old" it says "the file or directory specified could not be found"

What am I doing wrong?

And if this won't work is there any other way to salvage the files from the HDD?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2004
  6. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

maybe i should have accentuated this part in my post --- By all means , BEFORE doing a reformat ; you can use your Windows Xp CD and have it REPAiR your O/S. ---

Before you do the procedure to replace the Kernel32.dll --- Just ask your Windows Xp Cd to repair your O/S.

That step may do it for you.

7. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

I dont think its a hardware problem...

I had a comptuer like this at work a few weeks ago, after installing Windows Updates...

By any chance, your comptuer isnt a Packard Bell is it......

Regards
    CoZZa

8. xbennyboy

xbennyboy Guest

Or you can try that "Last known good configuration option" and try that. But I think you should just reinstall XP.

Sometimes an incompatible piece of memory does that too! I had a problem like this this week. i don't suppose you installed some new memory?

9. pdw_oo7

pdw_oo7 Member

ok i did system REPAIR and i was able to get back on and all the spyware/virus stuff is gone too

thanks for the help guys if i can ever return the favor i will

Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  10. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

pdw_oo7 ~~
    The System Repair on the Windows XP CD is an awesome tool -- Reformatting and re-doing a Clean install is a last resort situation when all avenues have been investigated. You took the right steps , you was patient, verified the hardware , and finally used the one step required !

Glad i could help -- happy surfing !

Take Care.[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2004