1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Windows software for mi box s drive.

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by Mickoz74, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

Hi all
    Basically I’m trying to find a program that can read the hard drive in the back of my mi box s in windows, so I can copy files to and from my pc and plug it straight back into my mi box s. I’ve searched the net anything I have found I’ve not been successful in setting up, also apparently the mi box s formats the drive to Linux.
    any help greatly appreciated.

2. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Don't know much about it but can you pair your mi box with your PC?

If so, does Windows/File Explorer see it?

3. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

Transferring 126gb 32 hours, I’d rather do it wired, also after a few hours it stops transferring can’t see it when connected to windows via usb, it either says corrupt format or nothing at all. Can’t find what file system the mi box s formatted the hard drive in. Connected same size drive to router and going to try it wirelessly over night 10 hours, drive in router ntfs.

4. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

From what I can find, the mi box s has only 5.1 GB of storage capability. You can go to Device, Storage and Reset to check it. Not sure how you're getting 126 GB unless you have added additional storage.

You might be better off transferring the files using a USB flash drive.

You might be able to connect via USB by going to the pc network setting and add it as a device. I have an android phone and, when I connect it by USB, WE sees it and I can access its files.

5. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

Ok, I’ve an external HDD connected via usb, it was not recognised (currently formatted NTFS) until the mi box formatted it, I used an app x-plore in the end and at 4.1mb/sec painfully transferred all my movies from the drive attached to my mi box s to another drive attached to my bt router, as i wanted a backup. When I tried to transfer from my mi box s to the pc direct after about five hours it would have problems, so then i connected the drive attached to the router direct to the pc. I still cannot take the drive out of mi box and attach it direct to the pc as it’s sadly not recognised and can’t find what file system the drive has or a program I can put on windows to read it direct. The transfer took over 20 hours as I went to bed when I got up it was asking me a question before it could continue one of the movies had an error.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  6. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Are you saying it didn't copy any files to your PC? Sounds like you might want to do the copy operation in batches.

7. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

it did copy items over but at sometime it froze. ive altered settings on the pc to allow the device to wireless connect to do small batches like you say. does anyone know the file system it uses its not fat fat32 or ntfs (drive is use is a 250gb), i was hoping i could swap the drive between mi box s and pc directly