1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winmx problems - uploads/downloads

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by bestie123, Nov 22, 2004.

1. lessthan6

lessthan6 Member

I've found that when I try to use Winmx through a charter cable connection I have similar problems to everyone else. It's also the same with Limewire and Shareaza. However, if I start Winmx on a dial-up connection, I get tons of results and I can download any song I want at top speed (atleast top speed for dial-up).

I called charter and talked to a supervisor as well as someone who was in charge of their security. They both denied that charter did any sort of port blocking or packet shaping.

After that I decided to give cable one more try and downloaded Ares, with their service I was finally able to download again. The problem is they don't have as good of a selection as Winmx.

I have to assume that if charter is telling the truth then there has to be something causing problems for Winmx on a broadband connection which doesn't affect Ares.

2. Snowmist

Snowmist Member

Charter does block p2p but if you click on my post where WinMX Channels is highlighted... you can get to V44 help rooms that will have people help you through unblocking your ports, router configuration or any WinMX problem you have.

3. lessthan6

lessthan6 Member

I actually spent a few days trying some of those things before I called charter, but they didn't work for me. Also, if it's a case of blocking, why would Ares work? I was leaning more towards packet/traffic shaping software. That could be why certain p2p's are affected, while others aren't.

I've read there's no way to circumvent this. If the ISP is that committed, you just have to live with it or cancel. Hopefully, someone can figure out a solution like the encryption bittorrent uses.

Charter sure was adamant though about not blocking or shaping. They claimed they only took action if they were notified by the RIAA, and even then they would only send an email. The supervisor said "Why would we expect customers to pay for a product they couldn't use?"

I've yet to come up with an answer.

4. Snowmist

Snowmist Member

Alright, try to use WinMX ports TCP=60060 and UDP=60069 to bypass the Charter blocking for WinMX (remember to route these ports through your router if you have one) or come by Vladd44 Help Channel_C31ECEC91A23 listed in the WinMX Channels link above on JadeSnow's 1st post on this thread. On yr WinMX, hit WinMX Peer Networks, then copy and paste the room name Vladd44 Help Channel_C31ECEC91A23 on the black space right of Filter, then hit Join. There are people there to help you to get connected to WinMX and sort through any WinMX problems you have.

Ares is much smaller than WinMX (which is the 2nd most popular p2p after Kazaa). That is why most isps won't bother to block the smaller p2p networks like Ares. Btw, now that Limewire is having filter blocking of many songs (read here : http://register.limewire.com/filter/trunk/index.php)it would be a good idea to try out WinMX :)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  5. lessthan6

lessthan6 Member

Correct me if I'm wrong because I've gathered much of my info from forums, but a blocked port means you can't send or receive anything on that port? An ISP would have to block all the dynamic ports that are unassigned in order to be successful at stopping p2p in this way, otherwise they'd be chasing users from port to port. Ares defaults with ports in the 21xxx range, so even though they're smaller, wouldn't they be affected just as Winmx is by the blocking method?

However packet shaping as I understand it is much more sophisticated and allows the ISP to not block, but identify and suppress specific p2p servers to the point that the up/downloads turn green, trickle along at about 0.40k, and then time out, which is what happens when I connect to Winmx. I get lots of results and I know the files are real because I can turn off my cable modem and download it thru dial-up with no problems. I've also tried almost every port on the IANA list that isn't assigned and I'm not behind a router.

Is the packet/traffic shaping software an issue that the "Vladd44 Help Channel" addresses, because I honestly think that is the cause of the problems a lot of users are having, and they probably don't realize it?

(soapbox)
    I know that ISP's usually have a clause in their contract that states they can pretty much do anything they want, but maybe that shouldn't be the norm'. There has to be some gaurantee of service. Whether they're blocking, capping, or shaping. From a legal standpoint, file sharing isn't illegal, only sharing copywritten files is perceived as a violation. And there aren't any regulations that make ISP's responsible for that activity. I don't agree with but I can understand being capped, but I can't understand how they benefit from blocking or shaping.

6. Snowmist

Snowmist Member

Why don't you try to come over to V44 Help room listed in the WinMX Channels? We can help you to connect on the spot. We have lots of experience and have helped many WinMX users thru WinMX problems such as router configuration, blocked ports and isp blocking as well. Isps can throttle or block thru ports or packets. Will be complicated to explain here. Come on down to Vladd44 Help Channel_C31ECEC91A23 and we will help you out. We have already got tens of thousands of users to reconnect successfully to WinMX.