wireless n question

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by duboy1, Jan 21, 2008.

1. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

Ok. I bought a wireless n router. Do i get the speed and distance of the wireless n with a wireless g card? or do i need a wireless n card? The reason i ask is because after installing the new router, i took my laptop far away(like over to another house where i tested it before) and still got the same signal i did with my basic wireless g router. So i thought maybe i needed a wireless n card to get the benefits of speed... and what im more concerned about-the distance. If anyone can help, id appreciate it. Thanks!

2. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

anyone? Thanks!

3. ulagy

ulagy Member

I know that you do not get 802.11n speed with a 802.11g card. Even though you have a n router, the maximum transfer rate of a g card is 54 Mbit/s. As for the distance, i really dont know. Here is a link with some 802.11 information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n
    Hope this helps.

4. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

ok thanks. Im just mainly concerned with the distance so if anyone knows, id appreciate any answers. Thanks!

5. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I personally never tested distance as that can very but it will cover your household and maybe a few others, lol