wireless router issue with wow and torrents

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by Jurgennop, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Jurgennop

Jurgennop Regular member

Hi,

i have the linksys wrt54g router,and everytime i play world of warcraft and am in a big city,my router seems to choke on the people that are connected and disconnects, can't do anything else but reboot it then...
    This also happens with torrents when i use lot of connections,

what can i do about this???

What routers are recommended for this?

2. xXx

xXx Regular member

3. Jurgennop

Jurgennop Regular member

thx,but what other routers are recommended?? What's the best router out now?

4. RebelUK

RebelUK Member

Jurgen

Did you try updating the router firmware ? I called linksys with a similar issue, router dropping connection or not being able to connect, they talked me thru downloading the latest, or most approprite firmware for the unit I had. Believe it or not they told me to install the latest firmware from the US for version 6 despite mine being version 2 it works fine now.

give linksys a call they are good.

Reb

5. Jurgennop

Jurgennop Regular member

yeah, idownload latest for version 7,and haven't had issues yet,but haven't played,probably will buy another one,but which one,eh?

6. RebelUK

RebelUK Member

here's another tip, get the latest graphics card drivers for your card, I use Omega drivers myself for a Radeon X* series. Turn OFF Vertical Sync in the game Video options reduce the terrain mapping sliders etc to try and increase your latency. It sounds more like a Game issue than a router issue, I used to get 'choking' or stutter in cities, not now I tweaked the ingame video options. Also try to get a broadband Speed Optimizer to check your settings, look online you'll find plenty to choose from, windows itself can throttle your throughput before even connection with it's default MTU and RWin settings.

Reb

7. Jurgennop

Jurgennop Regular member

everything is up to date

don't think it's game related as it happens with torrents too,and you have to reboot the router to connect again!

8. varnull

varnull Guest

Could be isp playing games.. throttling your connection. Mine tried it on with me until they discovered the error of their ways after a complaint to weights and measures. ;)

9. RebelUK

RebelUK Member

well again I'd say call linksys, the guy i spoke too told me the latest uk downloadsn had a glitch, and told me the US sites 6.2 version wasthe most stable and use that despitge the fact i had a version 2 model, also in the linksys setup pages, type in 192.168.1.1 into your browser, select the clone mac address tab, clone the mac address and then save the settings, now when it drops out it will automatically retry to connect.