Wireless Router on College Campus...

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by DchiPrez, Dec 17, 2009.

1. DchiPrez

DchiPrez Member

Hey guys, this is my first post, so be kind :)

I am currently living in an on-campus house, supplied with on-campus wired and wireless internet. The problem is that the wireless internet only stretches throughout about a third of the house. Last year a buddy of mine had a wireless router hooked up in his room on the side of the house that didn't get wireless coverage, so it was no big deal. This year, however, he does not live here and can't remember how he set it up for it to work. Can anyone help me set up a new wireless router on a college network? I am pretty unfamiliar with networking in general. The people in IT said they won't help me because a router assigns IP addresses on the other end or somesuch nonsense. All I know is that we had a wireless router hooked up last year and it didn't bother anyone. Any help is much appreciated, thanks and have a good day.

2. scum101

scum101 Guest

really there are only a couple of things you need to know..

first off I guess you will be plugging the router in to the college wired network? Find out of they are running DHCP or static.. plugging any computer into a port will find that out very easily.. and give you the range they are running in.

Then you need to find out which subnet they are running wireless.. either ask somebody who is using wireless on campus, or do a hunt for networks.. you don't want your wireless thing to run on the same subnet (usually.. you can, but it's not recommended) or you can run into ip conflicts..

and that's about it.. once you have those 2 little bits of info the router will set up just like it would at home.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2009
  3. DchiPrez

DchiPrez Member

Yes, I will be plugging into the college network. How do I find out this information though? Ipconfig? I'm almost positive they are using DHCP... so there's one down.

And I guess my next question would be, how do I put this info into the router?

Like I said, I'm kind of a noob at networking, I was always used to the old plug it in this port and start surfing the web type thing. Thanks again for your help already, it has been tremendously helpful.