WoW MaNGOS Server 2.3.0 Concerns

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by Vicious88, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Vicious88

Vicious88 Regular member

I've look through Google and Afterdawn, and still can't find any suitable information, so I'm finally coming out and asking the questions I would like answered.

I've been running a Private WoW server by the name of Magrathia for some time now. Its a 2.0.10 server/client set-up with the project silvermoon database, which I have since expanded a lot (fixed a ton of quests and re-populated many area of the outlands). I did all this work while I was without internet (a span of a little more than one month). Now that I've regained internet I hear that there is a MaNGOS 2.3 out and I don't know what to think of it. So I'm wondering things like this:

Should I upgrade my server and client from 2.0.10 to 2.3?
    Are there any security issues?
    Does 2.3 include fixes for things like flying mounts and NPC gossip dialog?
    How glitchy is it?
    Is it going to be worth the TON of trouble it will cost me in both time and tediousness to upgrade?

If you can find the answers to any of these questions, I would appreciate it highly. I would also appriciate hearing experiences and opinions from other server hosts and players.

Thank you in advance!

2. Vicious88

Vicious88 Regular member

Since no one was able to answer my questions, I took the risk and upgraded. I have to be honest there where some initial safety hazards, but once I was clever enough to over come those, I was more than satisfied with the 2.3.0 server and client!

For those who are intrested in what this server and client offer:
    ~Working NPC poses (sitting, wood-cutting ect) !!!
    ~All Working Skills !!!!!
    ~All Working Quests !!!!!
    ~All Working Mounts !!!!
    ~Fully populated Outlands !!!!!
    ~Fast response times (no /lay or /sleep lag) !!!
    ~Fully working Mail Client !!!!
    ~Automated Holiday Handlers !!!!!
    ~Working NPC Call-Outs !!!
    ~A rather nice Gossip database !! (still not fully functional though)

Downsides:
    ~Some ships (two that I can think of), don't work any more. However, other ships which were not present in 2.0.10 servers, such as the one linking Auberdine to the Exodar, work just fine.
    ~Some people have had scaling problems with their pets on my server, which means that they would, for instance, tame a wolf, only to have the wolf then shrink to the size of a dog!
    ~The "Locator" option of the minimap fails to locate the vender/banker/trainer/etc you ask it to indicate.
    ~Guards offer to show you where everything is, but when you choose an option, it does nothing.

So all that considered, I still have to say this is one of the absolute BEST private servers I've ever seen, and it is my pleasure to run one!

I give it a 9.6 out 10 - but the only way anything would beat it is if someone stole an actual Blizzard server, lol.