1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Write Error DVD 1011W2 with Verbatim DL Disc

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Zenon003, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Zenon003

Zenon003 Guest

Hello to you all

I have a problem that has just started when I try to burn a movie on a double layer +R Verbatim disc, the Write dvd 1011w2 error comes up with a box saying Bad media.
    To my total suprise this has just started to happen. I have two dvd double layer drives and I use clone dvd 2 with any dvd, I have been burning with the same make of disc for ages and all of a sudden both drives won't write to the verbatim without this error.
    I am hoping that it is not the media as I have about 25 of the Verbatim double layer 2.4 +R discs.
    I have updated everthing and have tried Philips DVD+R double layer which also used to work but now the error WRITE DVD 1011W2 keeps coming up. I checked the hardware and the drives work fine with any 4Gb discs. Any help would be apprieciated.

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Have you been able to burn Verbatim DLs with CloneDVD before or were you using a different burning program?

Have you tried using DVD Decrypter for burning?

If you're backing up a commercial DVD:
    1. In DVD Decrypter under the Mode menu, select ISO -> Read, and rip the ISO your hard drive.
    2. Under the Mode menu, select ISO -> Write, select the MDS file associated with the ripped ISO file, and burn.

If Decrypter burns, then it's a problem with CloneDVD.

I saw a thread on this at CDFreaks a while back and no one had a solution. It was happening to several people only with SL media.

3. Zenon003

Zenon003 Guest

Thank you for replying Laddyboy

I have been burning with Verbatim DL +R for a long time and using clone dvd 2 to backup my best dvds with no problem at all.
    I might try ritek or something else as this is doing my head in. I tried to burn with Sonic, Verbatim DL, and the same error keeps coming up. Write DVD 1011W2. It is really strange.
    There is no problem with any single layer 4.7Gb. It is only the Verbatim Advanced azo DL +R that I got from America. I even uninstalled clone dvd 2 and any dvd and replaced them, updating any dvd to the latest version. I have been using these Verbatim for ages and although they are 2.4x I have burned them at 4x in the past. This has only started to happen lately. I burned a dvd in ISO to my hard drive and tried to burn to the Verbatim +R DL but the same error came up after 50% of the disc was burned. Very strange indeed. I will try to look around to find a solution but I am not confident I will find one.

4. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Did you use DVD Decrypter to do the burn that failed at 50%?

We need to isolate the problem to try to diagnose it. I don't think trying Ritek DL will make any difference and will be a waste of money. I doubt anything is wrong with the Verbatim media. It burns from 2X to 6X for most burners.

I assume you've tried burning at 2.4X as well rather than 4X.

Do you have any Sonic products installed or Nero InCD?

What is the brand, model number, and firmware version of your burner?

Have you tried uninstalling your burner with Device Manager and then letting WinXP reinstall at startup? Also if you don't mind messing with the insides, you could do a cable pull uninstall, restart the computer a couple of times, and then reinstall the cable, and restart. One person completely reformatted their drive and reinstalled the OS and got everything to work again.

Do you by chance know the maker of your motherboard. Some people were having troubles with the Asus board and its IDE drivers. I think the Belarc Advisor program (free) may give this info.

5. Zenon003

Zenon003 Guest

Thanks for the reply.

What I done tonight was I checked any dvd settings and it said the Sony drive was disabled when it was'nt. So I disabled it in windows and again enabled it than I disabled it in any dvd than enabled it again. Than I set the drive at maximum and clone dvd at maximum speed, I don't ussually set to maximum with +Rs.
    Believe it or not I got hold of a Philips, CMC, dL +R disc and it worked, so I tried the Verbatim and at 66% the error came up again.
    I tried yesterday all the other things including uninstalling all drives and let windows reinstall at startup. I never tried dvd decrypter. When the burn failed at 50% and than this evening at 66% , with Verbatim, I was using any dvd and clone dvd2. It is strange now how the Philips DL DVD+R has worked, even though it is supposed to be rubbish. Even the sony site says only to use Verbatim when using double layer discs.
    I don't have Incd anymore but I do have Sonic record now deluxe edition. Do you think it be a conflict with Sonic? I never tried uninstalling Sonic. I did also disconnect the ide cables and it did'nt solve it yesterday. The strange thing about all this is for a long time I have been burning away and this all of a sudden has happened. My PC is maintained to the best condition. My burner model number is Sony DRX 710UL and it has the latest firmware BYX5. The other burner is Philips DVDR 1640 with the latest firmware P3.6. My motherboard is Epox ATX EP-4SDM.My burners are DVD Double Layer and Dual layer.

6. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Get rid of all the Sonic software including RecordNow. It can really be a trouble maker at times. Then try the DVD Decrypter method I gave you in an earlier post and see if you can get a decent burn. Unfortunately all these little programs leave bits about which can interfere with one another, so this may not solve your problem either, but let's see.

7. Zenon003

Zenon003 Guest

I done what you said with dvd decrypter and it burned the movie to my hard drive. Than when I tried to write the file to my dvd drive dvd decrypter won't recognise the file it burned to my hard drive. DVD decrypter is saying unsupported format.
    I did choose ISO but dvd decrypter is saying it is an unsupported format. Do you know why?

8. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Did you burn an iso file to the hard drive or a folder of video files?

9. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Look at the Verbatims under a magnifying light and see if you have any dye smears or spots

10. Zenon003

Zenon003 Guest

laddyboy you are the man!

I done it again and made sure I burned it as an ISO file to my hard drive and than with DVD Decrypter burned it to the Verbatim DL +R and in 24 minutes at 4x speed it worked with no errors in sight. It burned a 7.9Gb movie to the dvd +R, using my Philips dvd writer, dvdr 1640. I never would have tried DVD decrypter until you suggested it.

Thank you very much for your help and you are right there was nothing wrong with the Verbatim it must be either clone dvd 2 or any dvd.
    At least anyway the error "Write DVD 1011 W2" must be related to clone dvd or any dvd. Mnay thanks and happy new year to you both..........

11. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

The error is a Clone DVD error. That much is certain. As I stated earlier I've seen this error for a few years on various forums and I've never seen a solution except for the one guy who claimed he reformatted his system and then everything worked. There's some conflict between CloneDVD and a driver somewhere would be my guess.

12. Zenon003

Zenon003 Guest

Thanks I'll look into that.