1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writing on SHINY SILVERS

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by luckEpenE, Feb 8, 2006.

1. luckEpenE

luckEpenE Member

For those of you who have done this in the past, are you noticing any playback errors? Has the ink seeped thru as legend has it?

Im not talking about printables. Just straight up plain shiny silvers???

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@luckEpenE
    I have some a few years old that I wrote on w/ just a sharpie. No seeping thru yet or playback problems. (I've read some of those articles too). Just my experience - no scientific backing :)

3. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

NONE whatsoever, but, hey, you don't seem to believe anything else i say...so, do what you wish, i have plenty of shiny silvers with nothing more than Sharpie labelling on them...no playback errors :)

docTy~

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I burned 100 ty-g01 shiny thermals. I only used sharpies on them and they are all ok. They are about a year and a half old and still ok.

5. luckEpenE

luckEpenE Member

Thank you binkie and saugmon for your replies. 666- your supercilious remark was not needed.

Thanks again. A friend of mine gave me some blank discs, TYs cuz hes in love with those and Im so used to store bought that has the frosted area to write on. When I saw these my first thought was "great, now I have to start using labels on my discs." (which is what he does) Good to know I can still use my sharpie.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  6. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@luckEpenE

i don't have anything against you personally, as you are fairly new to AfterDawn in search of gaining some knowledge in the dvd burning field; if my reply seemed to harbor a bit of animosity towards you, for that i apologize.

if anyone here feels disdain towards another member here, it's definitely YOU towards ME. from some of the responses in other threads here in the dvd media forum, i sense your contempt towards others here that quite honestly HAVE been doing this much longer than you (myself included)...example:

for you to have had such good success with Memorex (the brand) in the past is not so uncommon, as they HAVE and still do use some good manufacturers in their media...MCC and Ritek are the first 2 that immediately come to mind; and Ricohjpn is decent as well~ if you did in fact get one of those 3 manufacturers in your older Memorex discs, then consider yourself lucky and fortunate~ :) if you do a quick search in the forums and threads that i do contribute to, i DO NOT belittle "memorex" as a company, i simply clarify that when they decide to use CMC MAG as their manufacturer on SOME of their media, that is a reason to worry for long-term reliability and playability~

i MYSELF have been a "victim" of the poor quality of CMC MAG, the fact that they happen to be under the Memorex label was mearly coincidental...i've had approx. 70 out of my 100 pack spindle of CMC MAG manufactured Memorex discs deteriorate within 6 months time after burning, they would not play on any standalones and even on the drive that burned them initiallly (which in this case was my older Nec 3520a with latest official NEC firmware at the time). i'm not sure what drive you are using currently, but MANY different drives do NOT like CMC MAG media, this has been proven by hundreds of members here on AfterDawn thru their nero logs and nero cd/dvd-speed scans on the majority of different burners out there~ don't you feel it's somewhat "common-sense" that when people are experiencing issues with their backups and they come to forums such as afterdawn, cd freaks, digital-digest and REPORT these issues in hopes of finding a solution; that gives credibility to SOME "media"
    manufacturers over others based on the simple fact that ALL THOSE HUNDREDS of errors/issues could NOT have ALL been "user induced/operator errors", but rather media quality issues...???

i can't speak for a lot of members that just put down Memorex in general, or those that simply say, "Memorex sucks" and have NOTHING to back that up with; where is the credibility in that? that is the EASY way out, to follow like sheep to the slaughter...we ALL are guilty of making "generalizations" sometimes, we are only human and we ALL make mistakes. that's why i actually TAKE THE TIME to clarify what i say and mean if asked to do so...i have no problem with EXPLAINING in detail as to what MY personal experiences with said media are along with the vast array of OTHER MEMBERS experiences that i am familiar with...when i DO make generalizations, it's usually on a broad topic that has been talked about for a LONG time/repeatedly here on AfterDawn, it's not so much of a general "consensus" opinion, but rather an arduous journey that MANY of us have had to endure.

whether you believe that i am one of those "brainwashers," as you would call it, or not, you show very little respect to SOME MEMBERS here that DO in fact HAVE MORE EXPERIENCE in the dvd burning game than you. what is your reasoning as to discredit ONE person's response over that of the next? as i mentioned earlier in this response, i have nothing against you and i respect your "opinionated" replies; but when you start "singling out" people, especially those that have contributed HEAVILY to this site over the years, you are bound to get yourself into a few nasty "flame wars"...

everyone has the right to their own opinion and everyone's opinion SHOULD be counted "equally"; while not often the case here, it SHOULD be that way in my opinion..but along the line, you will inevitably see that many members eventually choose to "take sides" and start a war here...it's not a "popularity contest" or anything, but you will notice that we all will have "issues" with one another sooner or later, however trivial that may sound, it's bound to happen.

i sincerely hope that we (meaning you and i) don't have a grudge going between one another. that's not my intention, but if you would show me a little respect for the FACT i've been doing this for YEARS now, i will gladly offer the same respect to you and give you SOUND advice/tips to the best of my knowledge from EXPERIENCE while you are here on AfterDawn~ :)

good day to you luckEpenE

docTY~

7. luckEpenE

luckEpenE Member

The thing you need to realize is my reply wasnt to you specfically (unless of course you go around preaching it like its the gospel). My reply was a GENERAL statement, a mere observation/suggestions, whereas you deliberately continue to post (negatively) TO ME.

8. holleyron

holleyron Member

Whaaaazaaap LuckEpenE,

I use Great AZO brand ($20.00 for a hundred) and I have not had any problems with playback using a SHARPER on the silver! If you have Taiyo's, I wouldn't worry about it.

Ron

9. bunnyrip

bunnyrip Regular member

I Always use a Sharpie, Never had a problem with playback errors. Not even One. I trust Sharpies for labeling 100%.

10. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Labeling /writing on disc !

The quick & economical version - Sharpie markers!
    The more expensive Route Epson printers - More commercial looking , but more expensive & requires inkjet printable media ! , Paper labels Cheaper & will cause problems don.t go there, Thermal printers Only print one color & the printers themselves are nearly as expensive as an epson ! also limited to text & some crude graphics! Media wise most of the Shiney's as you call them are mostly Thermal printable & made to work with theese printers ! but you can Sharpie them as well ! For me it's sharpie All the way ! it may not look as cool & smurfy as a inkjet printed disc but for the minute or so it's exposed to the world before going into the player I can deal with that ! not knocking inkjet printed disc or anyone who does them it's a great idea but I'm cheap so use what you want & like and happy burning my friends!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  11. arniebear

arniebear Active member

DVD's have a polymer top and it is thus okay to print on them with no problems.

12. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

nicely put doc

13. luckEpenE

luckEpenE Member

Thanks for all the HELPFUL replies.

New Question:

Has anyone [bold]EXPERIENCED[/bold]adhesive labels screwing up your DVDs and/or players? As I mentioned before I usually just write on my discs with a sharpie, but Id like to give adhesives a try. Make the discs "prettier" if you will. I am definitely not going to buy a new printer just for my backups, so the printables are out of the equation. (the same friend who gave me these shinys has one of those, so I do know how neat they are - - -but like i said im not going to go out and get a new printer)

So those of you who have used adhesive labels please let me know. Thanks.

14. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

well..

they throw off you disc off balanace. over time they start coming off.. give you playback issues.

i wouldnt recommend them.. but then again.. that's just me

15. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i've been using sharpies for a long time with zero problems, apart from when i purchased new pens and mistakenly wrote on a few discs before burning them so when they spun up the ink ran with the spinning

Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  16. 9mmruger1

9mmruger1 Regular member

I'm a sharpie man myself. Never any issues.

17. kissparo1

kissparo1 Member

Been using sharpie's on my dvd's now for over a yr , never had a problem with " bleed-thru " .. use to install labels on my dvd's till
    i learn't from people more knowledgeable than me on this site thay it was not a good idea.. Still print out labels , but now affix to a paper
    cut-out and slide into dvd binder , still get the " look" but not the imbalance .. just my 2cents worth :)