1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTF is this a verbatim disc?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by itachi64, Aug 15, 2006.

1. itachi64

itachi64 Guest

Hey guys check this out i got ripped off from buying verbatim at a store they are selling fake verbatim dont belive me take a look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. halfhere

halfhere Regular member

where did you buy them so I can avoid that place, also they might be fake or just a bad batch, are all your scans like that?

3. itachi64

itachi64 Guest

buy.com and retail stores such as best buy, circuit city, etc.
    supermediastore.com is the best place to get discs this is how one turned out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2006
  4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i've not heard of the USA having faked Verbatims, but as to quality scans, i hold very little regard for them; they're only a small part of the picture ie there may be a problem in your burning setup.
    i've pretty much copy/pasted the quote from below from here -
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/296925/2280121
    see also here in the same thread -
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/296925/2281548

5. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

i've said it MANY times before, PIONEER drives are HORRIBLE scanning drives, the difference on them is NIGHT AND DAY...they are great burning drives, but scanning is NOT accurate on them~ :)

btw, you DO NOT have "fake Verbatims"...all the "made in taiwan" Verbatims here in the United States are GENUINE and made with the MCC coding~ :)

also, another factor is that you are COMPARING Verbatim dvd-r format to that of Taiyo Yuden, every single one of my drives obtains better scores using TY in the dvd-r format, the Verbatim dvd-r are just "not as good" IN MY OWN OPINION and past experiences...if using dvd-r format, i would STICK ONLY with Taiyo Yuden or Hitachi made Maxells (made in japan) in the 8x flavor rated speed, even some of the Ritek dvd-r format discs are "hit or miss" lately~ :)

docTY

6. creaky

nice catch there Doc with the Pioneer (plus good to see you drop in, hope all is well with you), i wasn't prepared to squint to try to make out any details from the pics, it's too early :)

7. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

:) cheers creaky

the image is quite small and i can't make out the details myself, however, i did notice the Pioneer drive doing the scanning portion~

as to comparing Verbatim MCC dvd-r to that of Taiyo Yuden, there really is NO comparison, TY wins hands down for me, i've used MCC01RG20/MCC02RG20/MCC03RG20 (4x/8x/16x respectively under the Verbatim brand in the dvd-r format) and NONE of them compare to the Taiyo Yuden counterparts (TYG01/TYG02/TYG03) :)

i'm doing well, thanks for asking, just been extremely busy with work the past few weeks; it's good to see ya around a bit more frequently now too, i did notice your comment in my TY thread about being probably the ONLY one who has more experience than you in Verb/TYs, i take that as a very big compliment, thank you~ LOL :)

docTY

8. creaky

doc, found the post you mentioned here -
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/296925/2258437

there must be other regulars that have burnt more than me, what i should really have said in that post is that i've used shedloads of Indian/Singapore Verbs as well as tons of Taiwanese Verbs, and yup, i do chomp thru 'Verb TY' like they're cookies.
    I'm still not back up to my usual 'presence' round here, but am getting there; been busy building myself a few more Linux PC's but still burning up a storm on 'Verb TY' too.

As to the original poster, i myself have not used normal Verbatim for ages, and the only ones i've been using recently are Taiwanese MCC003 (8x +R) that i picked up cheaply. If i were you i'd do a few CRC scans as i'd suggested in my previous reply, ie verify if the actual data on those discs is any good, the quality scans look very nice and everything but as doc and myself have said, don't hold too much faith in them (especially as you're scanning on a Pioneer)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  9. BurningAs

BurningAs Regular member

"buy.com and retail stores such as best buy, circuit city, etc.
    supermediastore.com is the best place to get discs this is how one turned out.
    "

bs man, i just boughta 50 pack verb+R from bestbuy last week's deal and they are perfect, 3/4 way through without a coaster yet.

you sound like your advertising for supermediastore saying every other major retailer sells fakes
    peace

10. itachi64

itachi64 Guest

hey guys which one is better in your opinion 4x taiyo yuden or 8x taiyo yuden

11. spOrin

spOrin Guest

i think 4x r TYG01 and the 8x r TYG02 i am using the TYG02 witch r the 8x and i am having no problems with them i heard they both work just fine as far as ur verbatims go im sorry to here about that i hate when that happens just like the cd-r's i picked up a few days ago i though that cd-rs were cd-rs no differnce in brand they perfected them i was wrong dead wrong Imation still makes Ima-Tation media yuck o well stick with what u know and ull be fine

12. chayne04

chayne04 Regular member

i have used nothing but Verbs -R's for the last year. i have had only one coaster in that time. until i get more than one a year, i will stick with the Verbs. i have even gone back and checked the movies i burned this time last year and they still look just as good today as they did yesterday. to each their own.