x3 will not flash

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by kinosoo, Aug 17, 2005.

1. kinosoo

kinosoo Member

iv made a bios disk on dvd put in the dummy file (when i made it i put in 100 but it ended up as 102,400kb is this the problem?) iv put on the x3_3029 bios and used nero as it should in the tutorials i put it in my x-box and go to flsh va cd and nothing happens? help please!!!

2. Ichijoe

Ichijoe Regular member

Ok some things to note right off the bat. 1 I do not own a Xx anything I do have a preference for X2 Image Files though. I also own a X-Bit Modchip. That has a direct USB1.1 connection to the Flash Chip.

But, you'll need a CD/RW Disc granted these are seemingly harder to find then ever with all the DVD±R/RW Media pushing it off Store Shelves If you have a DVD±RW Disc you should be able to use that aswell (if you like),. You can not however expect to use a standerd CD-R. As your likely 99.9% of the time going to fail to get the XBOX's™ DVD-ROM Drive to read it. This is a Hardware limitation on the part of your DVD-ROM Drive and there is no Modchip (to my knowledge), that's going to change this.

Ok you'll probably also need something called Quix! inorder to make what is calles an XISO (XBOX™ ISO Image) the difference between an XISO and a normal ISO is that an XISO will be foramted to the X(BOX™)FS File System. Which is by deafult nonreadable on Windows PC (So much for encription!).

In Quix! the 'Create ISO' option and then point it to a directory that has your BIOS Image and +100MB Dummy File. Then the 'Create ISO' Button.

Now you should have a properly formated XISO that when burned will be in it's native XFS File Format, which the XBOX™ will then hopefully read.

Just make sure that your external switches are set correctly so as to be able to commit a Flash in the first place. A simple enough of a mistake to make really.

Then you should be able to flash.

BTW. Do you even have the option to flash via http? or FTP? I thought the whole point of the X3 (and other 4G Modchips), was that you could FTP into the XBOX™ without the need of a Dashboard (i.e. Evox, Avalauch), and use LCD Screens.

3. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

I'll add my 2 cents quick...

Make sure to follow the X3 FlashBIOS Compliant DVD tutorial exactly as it says:

http://www.teamxecuter.com/flashbios/dvd.htm

Also, are you using the Team Xecuter dummy file creator?

http://www.teamxecuter.com/flashbios/dummy.htm

Make sure that you burn it to a QUALITY DVD-R such as Taiyo Yuden, Ritek G03/G04, Verbatim etc. at the lowest possible speed to assure the highest burn quality. Your DVD drive in your Xbox will be able to read DVD-R's better than any other type of media (most of the time).

Report back and let us know if you get it working...

4. llongtheD

llongtheD Guest

I also do not have an X3 chip, but with the x2 chips you HAVE to rename your bios file to "bios.bin", no quotes, or cromwell will not recognize the disc.
    You HAVE to burn in iso mode with Nero, and you HAVE to finalize the disc. You do not need qwix to recompile your file like you do with a game. Breaking any one of these rules, and not using good media like pimpdawg stated will make it a nightmare to flash your chip.
    You don't have to use Nero, but thats what you said you were using. Any program that can burn iso images will work.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2005
  5. Ichijoe

Ichijoe Regular member

Ok I wasn't sure wether or not the Disc in question had to be in the XISO Format or not. From the sound of it I soppose this is not that big of an issue. But, I have to admit to myself that eventhough I do not have an X3 (allthough I do want one for the on-board FTP and LCD features), I am glad to have the X-bit Modchip which just uses a simple if albeit a slow USB1.1 Transfer speed to Flash the Chip. So it's partly because of this that I never had to learn this fine art of makeing a Bootable BIOS CD \ DVD, in the first place...

6. kinosoo

kinosoo Member

7. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Yup, Memorex is no where near "quality" media.