Xbox 360 Backups - Unplayable Disc / Open Tray message?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by quantass, Aug 8, 2008.

1. quantass

quantass Member

My Xbox 360 Premium has been modded with the Maximus 79 Passkey. It has worked for one backup but fails for the last 2 (Unplayable Disc error / Open Tray error message). I ran all backups thru Xdvdmulleter (Beta 10.2) - View ISO Details and everything checks out. My PC is using a Pioneer DVR-116D DVDRW drive (firmware v1.03), Verbatim DVD+R DL (2.4x AZO) discs, ImgBurn v2.4.1 @ 2.4x (the .DVD file is loaded and each disc is also Verified after burn - i dont manually set the Layerbreak since it "seems" selecting the .DVD file does this automatically). And since this is a Pioneer 116 drive i'm relying on what i've read that these drives auto set the bitsetting to DVD-ROM. No other WinXP process is running.

UPDATE: For all unworking backups the xbox 360 can be heard grinding before returning the message.

DVD Identifier info on the Verbatim DVD+R DL disc:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R-DL:MKM-001-000]
    Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R DL] - [DVD-ROM]
    Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Kagaku Media]
    Manufacturer ID : [MKM]
    Media Type ID : [001]
    Product Revision : [Not Specified]
    Blank Disc Capacity : [4,173,824 Sectors = 8.55 GB (7.96 GiB)]
    Recording Speeds : [2.4x]
    [ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Why would the backup fail? I dont think it would make a difference but the Maximus 79 Passkey is still installed/connected to the Hitachi 79FK drive within the console for future firmware upgrades.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  2. cwalke1

cwalke1 Member

having the exact same problem only on a hitachi 46d. my flash was successful and my burn completes with book type -dvd. when i try to play my back ups, it sounds like the drive is trying hard to read them (verbatim +r dl). my originals play fine.

quantass you might want to try to set the break yourself and see if that helps. other than that, it sounds like we're having the exact same problem.

3. quantass

quantass Member

cwalke, ok i think my problem is resolved. at least for now. First i set my xbox flat horizontal and turned it off for a few hours. Then i inserted the same games and all was fine. Nothing else.

If (and when) the problem occurs again I intend on opening the drive and cleaning the lens with rubbing alcohol. I think that should perm solve the problem but if it doesnt then i will pursue it more seriously like getting a new lens.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it works out for you. I'll PM you with my email just in case.

4. Ecks90

Ecks90 Member

I have been having the same problem with my Backups, I also had my 360 upright I am going to try laying it horizontal.

5. cwalke1

cwalke1 Member

problem solved for me.....i burned the games at 8x and they all play now.

it takes a couple time ejecting the disc to get it to read sometimes but it works.

6. Ecks90

Ecks90 Member

Burning at 8x actually worked for me, Thanks for that info. I still don't get how a 2.4x disc can burn at 8x but it works so I could care less. Anyway to fix the ejection problem?

7. Ecks90

Ecks90 Member

My backup from last night will no longer play, I really don't understand if anyone could shed some light that would be helpful.

8. cwalke1

cwalke1 Member

it will still work. sounds like you have the same issue as me. sometimes it takes 20 times of opening the disc tray and closing it to get the 360 to read my back up. if it worked before and you didn't reflash the 360 it will work again.

just open and close the disc tray until it reads