1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox 360/ps3 Grahics Dilema

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by velascoj2, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. velascoj2

velascoj2 Member

Well there is a lot of talk about the difference in specs between the 360 and the ps3. Both systems have had a great jump over the previous generation consoles based on sheer power. at this point both system can run games based on the Doom 3 engine at real time (Gears of war ps3 demo). That making them equal as far making games based on that game engine. That engine should be surpassed soon due to the superior capabilities of the new consoles over the engine of Doom 3 which was created for pc cards specs. Pc had the edge over console for a while now and rightly so but like always consoles new generation always surpass them when released due to the lifespan they have to endure. Pc will catch up and surpass them some time after the systems have been released but that just the never ending evolution of technology. Now Technically speaking, games shown on the demo of Sony like Killzone are very shocking due to the clarity of textures, polygon count, amount of characters camera work particle effects to mention some. “Gears or War” environments look good and into certain degree almost the same as Killzone, however the environments although well design doesn’t exude the exciting art direction put on Killzone. Most of the environments are very dark while Killzone are lighter the afternoon that giving them the ability of using more interesting color scheme, depth of field to the overall environment allowing them to put more detail on the scenery also adding constant camera work with the energetic side characters adding an overall dynamic feel that Gears of War lacked. However put the level of graphics already developed of Gears of wars and make the same sequence on that graphic engine and the overall look and feel of the game will be close and comparable to killzone. Rather than claustrophobic feel that Doom and Gears of war has shown.
    Technically speaking the ps3 has a minor superiority over the 360. Its seems that a lot of people don’t seem to understand that the 360 its not just 3 cores on the processor but that each core has 2 cores that giving them roughly 6 cores performance, yet to be seen. However it also depends on how those cores work together that goes for both processors. The cell has 8 spe’s which people tend to consider them like cores. The 360 has 1meg of L2 cache and the cell 512k adding 256k to each spe’s that giving them roughly 2.5 megs of overall cache to the processor (to my knowledge). At the end the difference in power based on specs alone its not that drastic. And the rest well its has been stated. Ps3 has more shaders (100 billion vs. 48) , dot point (51 million both cpu and gpu vs. 33.6 both cpu and gpu), teraflops applications (2 vs. 1) the Ps3 polygon count has not yet been revealed to my knowledge but xbox pushing 500 million and ps3 ?. Which it will rise an interesting question due to the amount of characters and vehicles shown in the demo of Killzone technically the ps3 should boast more that 500 million polygons if want to be able to keep that level of graphical prowess adding lighting , text mapping at 1080p and at 60fps its indeed an huge undertaking. Ps3 also has not disclosed the amount of vertex graphical pipelines either since that is new technology ATI has developed with 48 shared pipelines in total. There are some assumptions that Sony can’t beat those stats and that is why they where omitted on the press released, but time will tell.

To my conclusion everything leads me to believe that both machines are monsters and will satisfy the consumer that buys it. All been shown will be first generation software and as new maverick studios start developing there new graphic engines based on that technology we all going to see far prettier looking graphics yet seen at this point. And still since so far the Doom 3 engines is the most advanced engine released until Killzone if they manage to convert the movie cgi graphics into a real game engine. Both system will be boasting very similar graphical achievements.

Excuse my grammar

My two cents

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.