Xbox Emulation to create Image files on PC

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by ManGoogle, May 24, 2005.

1. ManGoogle

ManGoogle Member

This is all theoretical here:

Would there be some way to emulate the Xbox operating system on a PC so that the user would have access to the software needed to decode the filesystem? I realize that any kind of emulation that involves ROMs and the like tends to be touchy, but in much the same way that there are emulators out there for the other consoles, are there any available for the xbox?

Somehow this would be far preferable to modding the box, FTPing the files to FlashFXP and then creating an image. Burnt once trying to buy mod hardware ($300).

2. punqewe

punqewe Active member

I was always told that to emulate a system you would have to do it on a syatem that is about 10-15 times the power of the system you are trying to emulate. So an xbox is 733MHz,and going by what rumor...you would need a machine that runs at about 7-10 GHz. It would be cheaper to pay 300 bucks for the xbox.

But don't take my word for it.

3. ManGoogle

ManGoogle Member

I'm not talking about using the emulator to play the game, I'm talking about using the emulator to extract the ISO from an Xbox DVD that you insert directly into the PC. I.E. run the emulator, put Xbox disc into PC DVD drive, extract ISO, burn with Qwik and Nero.

Apparently this doesn't exist or someone probably would have mentioned it already :p

Last edited: May 25, 2005
  4. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

An emulator wouldn't be able to allow the game to be ripped. Even so, if a game was placed in a dvd-rom drive, it wouldn't read. The basics of an xbox game being read lies in the motherboard/bios. The end result would be your computer being another xbox.

5. ManGoogle

ManGoogle Member

The drive in an Xbox isn't any different than the drive you have in a normal PC, it's just the hardware it's attached to that matters. It's a good bet that the capability isn't out there or Afterdawn would know about it, but, you can already trick the disk to thinking it's in an Xbox - now it's just a matter of modifying the software to allow the user to rip an image of the disk.

The ability obviously doesn't exist, but it sure would make things easier.

6. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Wrong. The Xbox DVD ROM drives, like PC DVD ROM drives have firmware specially designed for Xbox. You CAN put PC DVD ROM drives in your xbox, but it will only read backups, not originals.

7. ManGoogle

ManGoogle Member

So does current Xbox emulation rely on having an ISO file already on your hard drive?

And if the firmware is a problem, how is it that users can already create backups which work on modded boxes?

8. indierock

indierock Member

There are programs you can run on a modded xbox, that will extract an xbox game iso onto the hard drive of your xbox, you can then ftp this file over to your computer. then from here you can use a image burning program (nero, alcohol, etc.) to create a back up of the game. this copy can only played on a modded xbox, and the iso that is stored on your computer can be ran on your computer, but it will give you the same error message putting in a nonburned xbox disc does.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2005