Xbox having trouble with burnt games

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by ger08, Aug 22, 2005.

1. ger08

ger08 Member

alright well im having trouble playing new games that i burnt on my xbox (ex unreal, doom 3, darkwatch). I can start the game but soon after i get a dirty disk error. Or like with darkwatch the game will play fine for awhile then ill get dirty disk. However older games like fatal frame 2 i have got to work fine, and for some reason the pal version of star wars ep 3 works fine. Im using craxtion to patch xbe's then burn with dvd decrypter (nero says cant burn like over 2 gb or somethin). I got my box softmodded in august of last year and i believe its xecuter 2...sorry if this has already been asked but i searched...thanks for any help!

---------------------------------------------------------------------alright well i tried burning the burnt version of darkwatch onto my xbox with dvd2xbox and about 84 percent (it was burning update.xbe) a box popped up saying patching xbe's then it came up to the burn complete screen and said 2 files failed to burn (and 1 with mediacheck?) but the game does work fine....

Last edited: Aug 22, 2005
  2. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

1) Your copy of Nero is definitely flawed, or it may be that your hard drive is FAT32 and has trouble handling .iso files over 2 GB.

2) If you got your xbox softmodded, then how is it xecuter 2? Xecuter is a modchip.

3) DVD2XBOX doesn't burn discs. It transfer the data from the disc to the xbox in it's own folder. Please be more clear on what you mean.

3. ger08

ger08 Member

oh yea sorry thats what i was referring to ill try to be more clear. Okay well at the startup of my xbox at the screen where it says xbox at the bottom xecuter 2 pops up...though i know my box is softmodded....

Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  4. papifred

papifred Member

I'm having a similar prob. I extract the xbox dvd game thru ftp then with XboxISo I create the game iso, then I burn it with dvddecrypter or nero. Xbox says unknown dvd, My drive is Samsung. Please advise. I use Memorex 8x DVD+R. Should I use DVD-R?. THanks.

5. papifred

papifred Member

I forgot to say mine is softmoded using UnleashX. Thanks.

6. jamieshan

jamieshan Member

I would recommend trying -R. It could be the media you are using. My Xbox will not read +R.

7. Ichijoe

Ichijoe Regular member

I'd try useing something like Quix! first. I'm not sure how your riping your Discs but there's one small difference between the DVD-ROM version and HDD version of the XFS (XBOX™ File System),. The DVD-ROM version supports long Filenames. IIRC the HDD ver., will only support up to 32+3. Just one more sneakey way that Microsoft will try to prevent casual copying. So your DDE's could be from broken links to Game Files.

As far as burning DVD±R\RW's (DL 8.5Gb) are concerned. you'll need a DVD±R\RW (DL 8.5Gb} compatible Burner. And an Operateing system that can support Files greater then 2Gb. (i.e. Win2k, WinXP (Home or Pro) or Windows 2003 Server),. Win9x or WinME are not going to cut it. If your still trying to run either Win9x or WinMe (@best FAT32), you can hang the idea of burning any DVD± prety much up. As FAT32 only supports Files that are less then 2Gb...

You might find a replacement +200Gb HDD for your XBOX™ to be a better workaround as you could then use the latest version od 'DVD2XBOX' to Rip your Games to the HDD and if need be convert long Filenames for use in the XFS Format...

8. papifred

papifred Member

Thanks for the Advise. I'm using actually Windows XP SP2 with NTFS partitions. I have an LG DVD+-R 8x burner. I wonder if there is an intermediate step like pathing the game before burn to dvd-r. Would Quix be an alternative to XboxISO?. Thanks.

9. punqewe

punqewe Active member

Xecuter2 is also a bios

10. ger08

ger08 Member

well there u go on that question.....ok well i use dvd-r's only and my os is windowx xp service pack 2

11. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

@ger08
    Like others have said in here, change your media. Philips and Verbatim are good brands. Most importantly, burn your backups slow. A good speed is 4x. Sometimes burning at higher speeds cause errors which could lead to the "dirty disc" messages.

12. cbruce

cbruce Member

(im not really an xbox modding newbie, just a newbie o this site)
    Who knows a website where i can just download xbox games, someone showed me this website where he was downloading halo2 and stuff but i forgot! :(

Also, when you burn an xbox game to a disc, is it the original size or is it smaller?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2005
  13. ger08

ger08 Member

ok sorry to sound like a noob but what do u mean when u say to change my media? oh and i write at 1x so its really slow

14. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

np, media is the type of discs you are using; DvD-R, DvD+R, DvD-RW, etc...switch it up. Find one that works for you. Oh yeah and 1x is plenty slow. LOL.

15. cbruce

cbruce Member

No one answered my question! :(
    PLease answer if you can!

16. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

It would be the same size. If you have seen people download games and it was smaller that's because it was compressed. Once they extract it for burning or for transfering to their xbox, it will be the normal size.

17. cbruce

cbruce Member

ok thanks, well im getting ready to burn all these games, i bought 200 dvd-r's for 20 bucks so im ready!
    next im gonna buy a 250GB harddrive.
    Everyone who wants to sell softmodded xbox's use yahoo business solutions, they dont care what you sell and microsoft dont say nothing to you either!

18. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

You're welcome, just make sure you get that info out to other users as the need for it comes around

19. ger08

ger08 Member

ok ill try that...but i was wondering like right after i burn the game to a dvd-r it works fine in my box but on like the 3rd time playing the game thats when i get the dirty disk error and it stops working..is that still a media problem?

20. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

It's hard to say, that's kind of odd but it can't hurt to try the same backup on different media and see how it does.