Xbox Modding

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by G-A-M, Jun 11, 2005.

1. G-A-M

G-A-M Member

I'm trying to mod my xbox and dont really no what to do,
    i dont have much money (bout $70) but can get more if i need it,
    i'm trying to find a cheap way to mod my xbox (preferrably no soldering)
    and have a few questions on how to do it,
    do i need a mod chip and a bigger hard drive or can i just get one or the other?
    and also what is a soft mod?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2005
  2. punqewe

punqewe Active member

cheapest ways of modding your box are the typical softmod and the onboard tsop flash.

3. indierock

indierock Member

soft mod is basically a non modchip mod, instead it requires a $10 chip you can get at radioshack or similar store, in order to do a soft mod you do need to know how to solder, and you need to have an xbox manufactured may 2003 or earlier (check the bottom of your xbox for manu. date) your best bet is to keep searching online, cause even though i did a softmod i know there are cheap non-soldering kits that can be found for about $45, also you do have an extra hard drive for it, cause there is really no point in modding if your not going to get an extra hard drive and stick it in, thatll cost you about $150 for that as well

4. G-A-M

G-A-M Member

are there mod chips i can put in that dont need a hard drive but will still play burnt games?

5. G-A-M

G-A-M Member

bump

6. punqewe

punqewe Active member

you can run backed up games on the moddd box without a larger hard drive...if you burn the backup to disk.

7. G-A-M

G-A-M Member

http://www.gamedevilonline.com/adctr/ here is a mod chip i am considering getting (not sure where i'll buy it)
    http://www.gamedevilonline.com/adctr/ here is another one,
    i need to know if they're good mod chips, which one is better, whether or not i need a new dash board, wehter i can play online with them, and how
    to install them and if there is a better chip, also a recommended site to buy off of.

sorry both sites just take you to the same spot but just clik xbox modchips on the side (left) and they are the only ones there

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  8. G-A-M

G-A-M Member

Bump!

9. G-A-M

G-A-M Member

Bump!

10. tgienger

tgienger Member

Just so you know, you can softmod ANY xbox. I know because I have done it. another way is to flash your bios which requires 2-4 small points to be soldered together. Softmodding can be a slight bit glitchy but still works great and is also the only way to do it with version 6 xbox's. Any mod will allow you to play burnt games. IMO softmodding and bios flashing is the way to go if you dont use xbox live, chips if you do.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2005
  11. G-A-M

G-A-M Member

I have an early xbox version, so i think most stuff will work with it,
    also I wont solder anything it's to risky and I want a mod chip no hard drive and PREFFERALY xbox live but I can part with it. I have found chips I think might work and am looking for other peoples opinions and a guide on how to install the one I pick and if you know of a better mod chip I would like to know about it, Thx for your help so far.

12. AxFactor

AxFactor Regular member

Best chip is the Xecuter 3, it has all the things u need and then some. You can get an lcd screen to show u temp and other crap. I personally have the Xecuter 2.6 lite. It's a pain in the butt to install but well worth it. FYI never get the "solderless" chips, mine was supposedly solderless but I had to solder in the end. the screw wouldn't tighten. I also recommend a quick 2 tone spray job. Very cheap and it'll get ur friends to notice fast!! If your really ambitious...and have a dremel with a cutting peice and nerves of steel. You can grind out a DVD window. Just cut above the DVD tray and the take out the DVD drive, take off the top cover of the DVD drive and cut another hole in the metal. finally put a plexy glass window over the hole in the plastic Xbox case.(1st hole u made) very stylish. A great site for guides is www.xbox-scene.com I highly recommend the Jewel mod.

13. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

The X3 w/ the solderless adapter is a good decision to go with if you do not want to solder. However that will run you around $80 for that stuff. You should check out this site, for more info. on what chip to buy and how to do stuff, and they even install chips for cheap! http://webpages.charter.net/modchipzone/

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2005
  14. G-A-M

G-A-M Member

ok, i think i got all the information i need but bfor i buy or install anything i need to know for sure so,
    tell me if this is all i need to do,
    buy the - Xecuter 3
    and the - Xapt3r Solderless Adapter
    i assume they come with instructions does any body know,
    then i install them and i can play burnt games?
    or do i need more like a dashbord and i almost forgot can i still play online?

15. AxFactor

AxFactor Regular member

you can play online, the Xecuter chips, I beleive 2.6 and above come with a switch to turn it on or off. If it's off, it's undetectable. I can't remember if my chip came with instructions, but the solderless adapter is very easy to install, the hole to screw it into is huge and right under the DVD Drive, u can't miss it, there nothing even in this hole so it's already freed up. I'm sure there's a guide at http://www.xbox-scene.com there's many how to guides. gool luck man.

16. G-A-M

G-A-M Member

k thx i'll order one soon, but do i need a dashboard?

17. tgienger

tgienger Member

A dashboard isnt needed to play backed up games, however if you want to gain access to your hard drive then you need one. With one you will be able to FTP to your xbox with your computer allowing you to add emulators, put games onto the hard drive, programs... there many different dashboards you can get, suggest going to xbox-scene.com and reading up to decide which one you want.

18. xdgen84

xdgen84 Member

Here's a really simple process if you want to software mod your xbox, no chips or anything, you can use xbox live, watch DVD videos without the playback kit, import music and divx movies, etc.

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=81712

It works, I did it, took me no longer than a half hour. Hope it helps.

19. amalby

amalby Member

This guy is 1000% right. I modded my xbox and my sisters boyfriends and both work exclent. This is by Softmoding it. I can still play on line, and do any thing you could do before you modded it. Also you can play emulators(which are all ways fun!!).

Andrew

20. G-A-M

G-A-M Member

k thx for all the information i think i'll go with the xecuter 3, but am still thinking.