xbox softmodded (mech expolit) dvdr+dl read?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by puppetj, Jan 29, 2008.

1. puppetj

puppetj Member

i have a xbox, no 360 and i was wondering i know it can read dvdr-dl's
    but can it read dvdr+dl's?? its softmodded with the mech/game action reply trick..

2. varnull

varnull Guest

Not usually.. the drive firmware doesn't support that disk type (because it didn't exist when the firmware was written) You may find some disks that will read, but believe,, you are doing your laser no favours.
    Stick to 8x dvd-r and forget about the expensive d/l disks.. you will never need them.

3. puppetj

puppetj Member

well i did need them twice, but it was dvdr-dl it was a different burner that getting fixed now, but the odd thing is it burned dvdr-dl even the drive specs says it only can do dvdr+dl why i dunno

4. varnull

varnull Guest

But that isn't what you asked..

In the xbox games the 2 layers are used for completely different purposes.. The inner layer contains the game files in a reverse helix.. outside to inside, while the outer layer has a heap of video files and things like "put this disk in your xbox"

Every game can be fitted on a single layer disk, and trying to use a d/l disk.. of whatever format is doomed to fail 99% of the time as the drive can't switch layers in the middle of a game.

If you NEED a d/l disk for a game xiso you are doing it all wrong..

5. puppetj

puppetj Member

xiso as u mean the ripper, i dunno i use qwick it always worked, so you saying the dual layer one that i made even know they load and play it it fail in the game later on?