1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xvid to DVD-R = Loss in Quality?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by mikej3131, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

HEllo,

I have a bunch of movies that are DVDrips that got recoded into Divx format. Now my question is, is it worth it to buy dvd-r's and burn these Divx movies back onto a DVD. Wil there be a gain in quality?

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

converting your files to DVD format and burn to disc won't increase your quality! What kind of quality are you Divx files? if they are good.... then use ConvertXtoDVD by VSO and enjoy!

3. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

i dont know what you mean when you say what type of quality are they?
    Should i look for resolution of the xvid file, file size, what else?

And why did you say if they are good quality xvid files then i should convert them to dvd? y shouldnt i convert if they are not good quality?

4. 72morgan

72morgan Regular member

All Xvid or Divx copies are not created equal. When I have converted a 1.3 Gb Xvid to 4.5 Gb DVD, the quality will never be better than what the original Divx movie when played in that format. Hopefully it stays the same or somewhat slightly lower in quality. If the original Xvid /Divx sucks in quality then converting to DVD will NOT make it better , only worse.There is a computer term GIGO. Garbage In Garbage Out. Just because you convert a crappy Divx movie to DVD , does not mean you get DVD Quality !!! Going from 1.3 gb Divx to 4.5 gb DVD is like blowing up a 35 mm picture , maybe it looks good as a 4x6 print, OK as a 5x7 , but it starts getting grainy as a 8x10.

Because its a waste of time to do and you wont be able to enjoy watching the copy, if the picture is too dark or washed out or the sound sucks.....

5. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

hmm i think i understand now.

Ok all my xvid's are from 700MB to 1.5MB. Would it be better to get a divx/dvd player? Do they make them. and if they do, do they make them with upconverters and progressive scan?

Another question. When i get my 50 inch lcd hdtv, are my xvid movies gonna look like crap on it, either by watching them on a dvd or a xvid player? I heard something about tv's that scale images. Would scaling be the same as blowing up a 35mm picture?

6. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

72Morgan gave you what I was trying to tell you...... and remember his advise about pictures...... if it looks good as a 6x4 print and you blow it up to an 8x10 it gets grainy...... well the same goes for a larger TV! That's why the better quality the files are that's the best you can hope for when converting to DVD format! Keep that in mind when you want to burn a Divx movie!

7. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

hmm i see ihoe.

What about the xvid player? would quality be better on a big screen tv if i converted them to dvd and playd on a dvd player or bought a xvid player and played them on the xvid player on my big screen?

And what is the hype over these divx and xvid movies. every forum i go in on xvid's, people are saying hwo they are the format of the future and how everybody likes them so much. if they look grainy on big screens, whats the hype over them?

8. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

don't know what you're talking about ...... the next generation of media will be HD-DVD or Blu-Ray! the others are just files and have been here for ages! And I never seen an Xvid Player or DivXplayer stand alone! never seen them in stores! sorry!

9. 72morgan

72morgan Regular member

Can not answer that , Do not have one , and have not watched a movie on one either...

As far as:

I believe DirecTV is going with a version , MPEG4 , I think.[.AVI is mpeg1, DVD is mpeg2]. Time will tell if they are correct. Beta was better than VHS. RDRAM , Rambus Ram was supposed to be the be all and end all of PC Ram. Right now its Hype, take your movies to BestBuy and try them out on a Big Screen. Come back and let us know..

10. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

xvid is mpeg4

11. 72morgan

72morgan Regular member

One more thing. DirecTV is going with XVID/DIVX or Mpeg4 for the compression. A DVD is 5GB`s, a Hi-Def Movie on Blu-Ray is 25 Gb`s.

DirecTV is not about to launch 5 times as many [MORE] satellites to handle the bandwidth when they switch to ALL HD service. So in order to get 25 pounds of sh*t into a 5 pound bag, they need a NEW format and HYPE. New Algorythms to compress with and " better Quality ". So what do you have and end up with is their version of DIVX or mpeg4.

They [XVID] may very well be the future if the companies do not want to launch new satellites or rip up and replace all the cable around the country....

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  12. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

does that mean my HD-Tivo already has mpg4 in it!!?

13. 72morgan

72morgan Regular member

IHoe

You have TIVO with HD !!!! How ? Where ? I want it ...NOW !!!!

Tell me how, I`ve been anxiously waiting for a SERIES 3 Tivo???

Give it up or Die!!! lol ;]

14. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

then i gues my xvid files wotn look bad at all on my big screen since directtv is going to use xvid?????

15. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

come on ..... directv had this for ages now! it's the HR10-250....... It records in HD up to 30hrs ....... up to 250 hour at regular format! pick your poison! LOL I love it!

16. 72morgan

72morgan Regular member

IHoe

DirecTV is dropping / phasing out TIVO for their own Proprietory system that uses XVID. I do not know what will happen to the old TIVO units when the conversion is complete.. Or how they will support them.

mikej3131

Maybe....It depends on the quality of the original Divx!

IHoe , I too love Tivo and Hi-Def. Unfortunately I have to use a sucko Motorola Comcast box to record and watch Hi-Def on my 62 inch DLP

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  17. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

all I can say is that I also have a Sony Ultimate TV that is just like Tivo... if Directv is phasing out Tivo..... it means it will still be covered for service but they won't be selling the receivers anymore! instead it will sell new stuff and service the old cause my old Ultimate TV receiver still works and still they charge for service!

18. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

hey 72morgan, why is comcast sucko lol?

I have comcast hd

19. 72morgan

72morgan Regular member

Got home from working 12 hrs , fell asleep in front of the Tv. Woke up and got online....

mikej3131 I have a Pioneer 810-HS, that has a dvd burner built in, that I bought before I went Hi-Def. It is sorta like a VCR on steroids with a 200 hr tape inside of it. I bought it specifically because it had Tivo Basic on it. I do not pay the $13.00 per month to use it.

Even with the scaled back Tivo service , Tivo is far superior to the Comcast box. How ???

1] Mechanically/Electonically the Pioneer/Tivo has worked flawlessly. I am on my 4th Comcast box and it still does not work properly.

2] When I turn on the Comcast Box, sometimes it does not come on until I go into the DVR to play a show, Cancel the DVR and go back to watching regular TV. Sometimes this does not even work so back it goes again. That is partly why I am up to 4 boxes in the 18 months I have had Hi-def.

3] The Tivo TV Guide has NEVER listed or recorded the wrong program. The Comcast Guide will say for example that I recorded Stargate, but some other program will be there. Or the Comcast TV Guide will correctly show that The Andy Griffith show is playing, but the episode that the guide lists is NOT the one that was recorded.

4] The Comcast Guide will only let you see whats on NOW and going forward. I can not check and see what was on a half hour ago.I do not buy or use the Freebie newspaper Tv Guides. I work midnites and when sometimes I come home and I think I might have forgotten to 'tape" something from the day before. Comcast won`t let me check. Tivo lets me go back 3 days to check it out.

5] The Comcast Tv guide description or Blurb is all you get, a short 2 or 3 sentence description of the show. With Tivo you get the same 2 or 3 sentence that has never been wrong. And then if you hit the INFO button. This is what you get:

Title / Of show
    Episode Title
    Description Of show / 2 or 3 sentence blurb
    Rating / PG etc
    Actors
    Directors
    Writer
    Category / Sci-Fi
    Color Mode / B&W , Color
    Episode #
    Original Air Date
    Disk Usage / Episode is using 3% of disc
    Similar Programs / If you liked this show , here are similar shows you might like

6] Tivo will let you adjust the quality of the recording like on a VCR. SP, EP, ELP , Record in 2 , 4 or 6 hr lowest quality. This increases the capacity of the hard drive and the amount of shows you can "tape". Comcast does not allow this.

The reason you have a DVR or Tivo is because you enjoy watching TV. Tivo makes it enjoyable, Comcast sucks!! And Comcast knows it. Comcast has made a deal to rent Tivo boxes or to incorporate their software. I already told my local Comcast office I want the first one that is available.

So I repeat myself : Even with the scaled back Tivo service , Tivo is far superior to the Comcast box. I want a new Sries 3 Tivo or I will settle for the Tivo/Comcast hybrid that is due out sometime this year.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  20. 72morgan

72morgan Regular member

mikej3131 One more item or reason why Comcast SUCKS !!

I have never used or wanted a cable box, I always bought cable ready TV`s. So when I went out and bought my new 62 inch Misubishi DLP, I made sure it had a Cablecard slot so I would not have to rent a cable box from Comcast. In effect I bought a Digital/HD Cable Ready TV. So guess what happened??? The Cablecard from Comcast does not work with my TV, as soon as I or the Comcast Techs put it in, my TV locks up. So in order to watch HD on my Hi-Def set I have to rent a cable box from Comcast because their Cable card does NOT work, Am I surprised? No! Not only does it suck, it costs me extra money and it sucks. I would got to DirecTV , but they are dumping Tivo. So I wait [impatiently]for the Series 3 Tivo.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.