1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xvid to DVD-R = Loss in Quality?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by mikej3131, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

Wow good info. Since im an amature, alot of things i didnt fully understand.

ok wwhat is a pioneer 810-hs. is it like a comcast digital cable box? or is it a dvd burner? how does it have tivo on it? isnt tivo a cable service or no? what is scaled black tivo service? Sorry but i never heard of this tivo stuff.

how can tivo and comcast come together. is tivo just a cable box manufacturer like motorola?

Also i am paying $10 a month for the comcast box. will i ever be able to own the box and stop paying monthly?

2. 72morgan

72morgan Regular member

ok wwhat is a pioneer 810-hs

:http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4139_22912926,00.html

is it like a comcast digital cable box?

No. A comcast digital cable box descrambles and converts the Digital signal so it can play on an Analog TV set. This is a VCR on roids, it copies programs to disc/hard drive and can burn them to dvd disc. It can also play movies.

or is it a dvd burner?

Yes

how does it have tivo on it?

Pioneer has paid upfront for a limited or BASIC version to be included. So you do not have to pay the $13.00 per month or $300 once for a lifetime subscription.

isnt tivo a cable service or no?

No

what is scaled black tivo service?

It`s scaled back or TIVO Basic. Basic does not give you Season Pass or a lot of other goodies

is tivo just a cable box manufacturer like motorola?

They produce a box like Motorola. No I take that back. Tivo makes a box that comes with the TIVO software. Motorola makes a cheap imitation or knock off of Tivo . TIVO is starting to become a generic term. To be able to TIVO something is not the same when it`s done with a Motorola DVR [ Digital Video recorder].

Also i am paying $10 a month for the comcast box. will i ever be able to own the box and stop paying monthly?

No. It`s a rental fee for the box and the cable channels you recieve. Cancel the service and return the box.

Some TV basic info and background.

There are currently 3 TV signals or formats.

Analog. Digital Cable. and HD or Hi-Def.

Analog is the original since the invention of TV since the 1940`s and 50`s. In apprx 3 years this signal will be gone. The US Congress
    [​IMG]
    has passed a law. So in effect any TV that does not need a cable box, because it is "cable ready" or uses an antenna will no longer work. You will now need a cable box to convert down the digital signal to analog.

So in 3 years time the only signal that will be available will be Digtal cable and HD from the Cable companies. And HD will be the only over the air signal. You will have to buy a HD antenna to pick up the HD signal.

My Pioneer 810 is an analog unit. That is why I have the comcast box, too. It can record the Digital Cable and HD signal from Comcast that the Pioneer can not.

That is also why I want the NEW TIVO series 3. It has 6 tuners installed , it can record at one time any 2 channels. 2 Analog or 2 Digital or 2 Hd or any other combination.

3. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

i meant a comcast dvr box with hd. thats what i have. so that pioneer is basically the same as my box but its also a dvd player and dvd recorder?

Also you said comcast descrambles and converts to anolog. are all my shows that i recorded on my comcast motorolla dvr anolog, and not digital because it descrambled it. I have an anolog tv.

i looked at that pioneer site and it said
    "It’s fast and easy, and the content remains in a digital state throughout, so the quality level is very high."
    Than you said
    I am confused?
    Is the pioneer only anaolog but the comcast dvr is digital but if you have a anaolog tv the comcast dvr convers to anaolog

Y is that?

You meant any *analog tv right?

im assuming you can use this with the comcast cable company right? and whats a tuner

versions as in the version of the tivo software?

Whats this season pass?

And ust to clear things up. Tivo is just a dvr box you can use with diferent cable companies, tivo is not a cable company right?

so if i stop paying monthly i will have to return the box? so is there anyway to get my 70 gigs of video i have on it now. like transfer it to something?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  4. 72morgan

72morgan Regular member

I meant a comcast dvr box with hd. thats what i have. so that pioneer is basically the same as my box but its also a dvd player and dvd recorder? [bold]Not the same!! It handles the signal after the Comcast box[/bold]

Also you said comcast descrambles and converts[bold]YES[/bold] to anolog[bold]I do not know[/bold]. are all my shows that i recorded on my comcast motorolla dvr anolog[bold]I do not know[/bold], and not digital because it descrambled it. I have an anolog tv.

i looked at that pioneer site and it said
    "It’s fast and easy, and the content remains in a digital state throughout, so the quality level is very high."
    Than you said
    Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "My Pioneer 810 is an analog unit. That is why I have the comcast box, too. It can record the Digital Cable and HD signal from Comcast that the Pioneer can not. "
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am confused?
    Is the pioneer only anaolog but the comcast dvr is digital but if you have a anaolog tv the comcast dvr convers to anaolog [bold]I am not sure of the technical aspects, bottom line the Pioneer will NOT record Digtal or HD Cable channels[/bold].

Quote:
    To be able to TIVO something is not the same when it`s done with a Motorola DVR [ Digital Video recorder].

Y is that? [bold]Coca-Cola ,Pesi-Cola, RC Cola,Go to a restaurant and ask for a Coke, a lot of people would GAG lol if they got a Pepsi.Soda is soda, a cola is a cola. Whats the difference???[/bold].

Quote:
    has passed a law. So in effect any TV that does not need a cable box, because it is "cable ready" or uses an antenna will no longer work. You will now need a cable box to convert down the digital signal to analog.

You meant any *analog tv right? [bold]YES[/bold].

Quote:
    That is also why I want the NEW TIVO series 3. It has 6 tuners installed , it can record at one time any 2 channels. 2 Analog or 2 Digital or 2 Hd or any other combination.

im assuming you can use this with the comcast cable company right? [bold]YES[/bold]. and whats a tuner [bold]Its what changes the channel, its a converter in it`s own right[/bold].

Quote:
    Pioneer has paid upfront for a limited or BASIC version to be included. So you do not have to pay the $13.00 per month or $300 once for a lifetime subscription.

versions as in the version of the tivo software? [bold]YES[/bold].

Quote:
    It`s scaled back or TIVO Basic. Basic does not give you Season Pass or a lot of other goodies

Whats this season pass? [bold]A season pass will record every episode of the show you pick , no matter when its on[/bold].

And ust to clear things up. Tivo is just a dvr box you can use with diferent cable companies, tivo is not a cable company right? [bold]Correct[/bold].

Quote:
    No. It`s a rental fee for the box and the cable channels you recieve. Cancel the service and return the box.

so if i stop paying monthly i will have to return the box? so is there anyway to get my 70 gigs of video i have on it now. like transfer it to something? [bold]I do not know[/bold].

5. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

oh cool i just found a forum that shows directions on how to transfer video from the motorola dvr to a pc.

About that tivo. Will i have to pay monthly and rent it if im using comcast cable. or can i go buy and own one of those tivos?

6. 72morgan

72morgan Regular member

7. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

so if i get thsi tivo with my comcast cable. will all the menus be differentand the way i choose my shows and look up info on shows?

8. 72morgan

72morgan Regular member

will all the menus be differentand the way i choose my shows and look up info on shows? [bold]YES[/bold]

I would [bold]NOT[/bold] buy or , recommend buying it [bold]NOW!!![/bold]

It can record [bold]ONLY[/bold] standard cable , IT will[bold]NOT[/bold] record DIGITAL Cable or Hi-Def.

[bold]WAIT[/bold] for the Series 3 TIVO, It will be out in the next couple of months. [bold]WAIT!!![/bold]

9. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

hmm yeah ill def wait then

10. 72morgan

72morgan Regular member

[bold]This is worth waiting for !!!!![/bold]
    [​IMG]

11. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

it will be able to play back mpeg-4? dfoes that mean i can put my divx files on a hard drive and connect it to that thing and play those fileS?

12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.