1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You Don't Mess with the Zohan

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by omegaman7, Oct 7, 2008.

1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Intel Quad, Q6600 though there's a few more Intel Quads out since i bought mine..

2. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

With a movie like Zohan, (roughly 60-65% compression) how long does it take your mighty machine to Encode with RB?

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

So have you seen ZOHAN? Hmmm. I have Amd 5200, 2x 500gb WD, + 1 TB WD, 4 Optodrives, Asus 8600GT. MSI K9N6SGM-V. I've ripped 10 dvds in under 30 minutes before. LOVE MULTI DRIVES Every pentium/intel ive sat down too seems slow. Maybe theyve changed though.

4. creaky

A main movie mode (first example i found in Rebuilder's logfile) was Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, 65.8%, 48mins to encode. Full disc episodic's (nothing removed, so average of 7GB i guess), 54% average video compression take just under an hour to encode.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well... My mighty machine (LOL) hasnt seen rebuilder yet. This weekend im gonna have to give it a shot. Shrink will do a 55% comp in about 45 minutes. TOTAL PROCESS TIME. However most the time I do 2 at a time. Its a shame shrink doesnt have 2/4 core support. OR... Gpu encode support.

6. creaky

ah, but Shrink's output at 55% is utter crap, whereas Rebuilder's output at 55% is phenomenal. Period :)
    Don't get me wrong, Shrink's an excellent program, but only if there's not much video compression to be done; i used to use Shrink for anything below 90%, now i only use Rebuilder, even if it's at 98%, i'd rather see the phenomenal results from Rebuilder even if it takes longer than Shrink. Quality versus time taken, any day of the week.
    I used to swear by Shrink, until i was introduced to Rebuilder. I'm afraid Shrink has hardly been fired here up in the longest time.

7. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

My typical encode time with RB at about 55% runs between an hour and an hour and a half. I'll have to buck up and get me a quad core soon.

With Zohan i ran through Deep Analysis first, then transcoded. Total time there was about 35 minutes.

Amen there. I'm starting to use RB more and more these days. Still haven't messed around with it a whole lot yet.

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Totally open minded dude. And this wouldnt be the first time ive heard that. But "semi-pro" is the only one ive had come up in the last year as only SLIGHTLY ROUGH video quality. But that was 50-52 % comp as i recall. THANK YOU FOR CONVINCING ME. NO JOKE! You sound like you know what your talking about. And ive got alot of episodic projects coming up. :)DIDNT LOOK BAD ON MY MOMS 50" Plasma! Sorry about the OT. I do however imagine that ran through a projector i would begin to notice the pixelation.

9. creaky

I do use Rebuilder heavily, but i don't mess with any of the settings, but you're right, each to his/her own. Once you've seen the output from Rebuilder though, you'll be impressed..
    I'm no expert on the finer settings, though i know Dialysis uses them, he posted about it around here somewhere a day or few ago in fact.

10. Vulcan94

Vulcan94 Member

Same with me, Creaky! I don't see why more people use Rebuilder. I just set up a batch to encode and then let it do its thing overnight. The next day I use Imgburn to make the disks. What's so hard about that?

Vulcan94

11. 13echo4

13echo4 Regular member

I did the Zohan w/ DvDFab 4120 and DvD Shrink and burned ISO w/ ImgBurn. I did'nt have any problems and it looks good on my 37"? lcd TV.

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Hey vulcan, im curious. Did you know about High quality adaptive error compensation with DVD SHRINK? 55% percent doesnt look bad in my experience. Heck... i believe that King Kong 2005 Was about that. It didnt look bad at all! Remember though, the higher the video quality it has to work with, the better. Dont misinterpret though. I used DVD-RB today. I LIKE IT! Its first run was only marginally better than shrink. Im aware of other settings though.

13. creaky

Before i was introduced to Rebuilder, i did King Kong 2005 with DVD Shrink, and the output wasn't good enough at all but to be fair i can't remember if i used Shrink's quality settings. Am glad you are happy with the results but am afraid the two programs are just not as comparable in their output as you are saying. I redid Kong with Rebuilder and the difference was staggering, plus i don't ever use Rebuilder's extra features such as steal from extras etc.
    Try doing the Lord of the Rings movies for instance, then compare the difference.

Anyways, back to Zohan, haven't got this movie yet so can't comment on the quality.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I have zohan, havnt watched it yet. I imagine its good though. I like adam sandler. Happy gilmore's awesome. So am i to understand, (CREAKY) you use the HC encoder (Primarily?) and you keep the extras and dont even compress them? MUST BE one hell of an encoder! Well... If HC is dual core ready, i'll have to try that one and post my results.

15. creaky

Yes i use HC Encoder primarily, in fact i use Rebuilder primarily. Can't remember where i posted it recently but i no longer use DVD Shrink for even movies that need virtually no compression, i just use Rebuilder/HC Encoder for everything these days.
    I found one link but can't find the other one.. - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/707702/4310144

edit- doh!, couldn't find the link i was after because it's the first post on this very page/thread already :)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  16. varnull

varnull Guest

k9copy.. title 16 ;)

dvd:rip -- fail

acidrip -- next to longest title.. 4 seconds less that the other reported 30 or so.

Wait to see the Europe version to compare.