1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Youtube guide any good?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Diafel, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Diafel

Diafel Member

This is new to me and I want to research the heck out of soft modding before I do it so I don't end up with a brick.
    Is this guide any good? There are 8 parts to it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRVVI9RyhbQ&feature=related
    Also, I tried to download the files and it was not a valid zip file. I think it may be a virus. However, the guide itself looks good and I did get the real files elsewhere. I work so much better with a visual rather than written guide. That's why I'm asking.
    I have a new Wii that we got a couple of weeks ago and updated to 4.2u before I thought of hacking it.
    If the guide is no good, can you point me to a good, easy one? I just want to be able to play back up discs. Also, if I do play backup discs, what do I need to have installed or what games do I need to avoid to prevent bricking?

2. VOLmaniac

VOLmaniac Member

I would stay away from Youtube. Larry's guide on here is a good one that is easy to follow. I've done multiple consoles with Larry's guide, and it works every time with no problems.

3. Diafel

Diafel Member

Thanks for the reply. I have been considering using Larry's guide and I am certainly leaning more towards it. AD has treated me well when it comes to DVD backups, etc in the past. It is certainly a trusted site for me.

If I play backup discs, what do I need to have installed or what games do I need to avoid to prevent bricking?
    Will I need Priloader among others?
    I've been reading a ton and it seems the more I read, the more confused I become. Some say yes, I should have it. Others say no. Just not sure which way to go.
    What would be the recommended setup?
    Also I saw somewhere that the newer Wiis can't play backup discs. I have a serial that starts with LU73. Is this the case for me? I hope not!

4. jex29

jex29 Member

I have soft modded two Wii's one is an old model that can play backups from a DVD the other is a recent Black Wii that cannot play backups from the DVD.

Basically you need Priiloader if BootMii allows you to install it as an IOS only (usually the case in a new Wii). If it allows you to install it a Boot2 then you don't need Priiloader to restore the Nand in case of a brick. You will get presented with the options of how to install BootMii when you are in the process of installing it.

The easiest way to find out if your Wii can play DVD backups is if you try it after you softmod it (ex using Neogamma backup loader). If it doesn't work after you have tried a few backups known to work then you have the newer dvd drive. You are then restricted to using a USB hard disk (ex WD My Passport). Use WBFS Manager to tranfer the game isos to the hard disk. Then use a USB loader to play ex USB Loader GX.

If you use Larry's guide it will be OK (I did).

Jex

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Everything you need is in my guides.

You can find them in my sig below.

As jex29 said installing Priiloader if Bootmii can only be installed as an IOS is recommended (you can install priiloader even if Bootmii can be installed to Boot2).

As for what type of drive you have. Either do as jex29 said and try a few backups. If you keep getting error 1101 then you probably have a new drive (short of that you will need to open up your system and check the chipset).