1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about mods

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by tech3475, May 31, 2010.

1. tech3475

tech3475 Member

I have an old GC lying around at my grandparents doing nothing so I am thinking about modifying it to run backups of my games.

Now, I know it's possible to run GCOS using AR and files installed onto an official 59 but I need some help here:

1. Can I install these files using my hacked/chipped Wii?
    2. What are good discs to use? Can I use RWs or get a cheap case mod for standard DVDs?
    3. What is a good up to date guide on this?
    4. Or am I better just getting a modchip?
    5. What other good mods are there?

I am sorry about some of these questions, but I only just heard about these mods since I started getting into hacking (by which point I was into the Wii,PS2, Xbox, etc.).

Thank you.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  2. Menion

Menion Regular member

Your best bet would be an Xeno Chip for $8-$12 can easily be soldered in less than 3 min (look for tut on youtube) As for media the GC is very picky Ridata Ritek Media is the best, if you get a case mod you can use 4.7GB full discs but remember you can only use 1.35GBS that the GC will read due to the laser, or you can buy the mini Dvd-R's from venues on the net.

There are many tutorials on here about using the Action replay but it generaly require you purchase the AR SD Media Launcher (19.99) and booting the GCOS from the SD Card loaded in the Media Launcher card but again its a swap method, dosent support as much as the xeno chip and costs more.

So yes there are several chips and the SD media launcher method but the cheapest and quickest which seems to be what your looking for is the xeno chip

3. tech3475

tech3475 Member

thanks for the reply, unfortunately I can't seem to get hold of the modchip from a reliable UK source, also, I am not very good at soldering. Or can you link me to the files for something like this:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/321246

thank you.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010