1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Need Help With VLC Please

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by BigGoose62, Jul 17, 2013.

1. BigGoose62

BigGoose62 Member

OK, fist specs. Windows 7 x64 with HDMI cable from MoBo to HDTV. Very Simple.

Now, I had to reinstall Windows 7 on my system, and obviously reinstall VLC. Before, I could play everything just fine. But now, my .mkv files with dts audio will play video but no audio.

I can't figure out what. I have tweaked the settings and still can't get it to work. Any advice would be welcome.

Thank you very much

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum. try re-installing the vlc software.

3. BigGoose62

BigGoose62 Member

Sorry, I meant to say that I have uninstalled and reinstalled. I also set the default player for .dts to VLC. But still no go

4. attar

attar Senior member

In Prefernces under audio, advanced, output modules, directx, there's a drop down menu for selecting hdmi.
    Any use?

5. BigGoose62

BigGoose62 Member

I will try this when I get home. But I will say that other files play with audio in VLC. So I know the HDMI is working for them

6. BigGoose62

BigGoose62 Member

GREAT NEWS! Somehow the audio is working! Here's what I did. I went into Device Manager and found my Intel Device Audio driver. I asked Windows to search for a newer one. Windows said my current one is the best one. So I closed out of that and searched the internet to see if there was a new one. Had a hard time finding that, so I moved on to attar's instructions. In order to get to that menu, I had to play a file. So I played one of the ones that wasn't working, and to my surprise the audio was fixed. I'm not sure what to say. That's literally all I did.

attar: I then followed your instructions, but for that drop down menu I do not have HDMI as an option. I had tried every option listed, but none worked. So I kept it on default.

Anyway, all is working. Thank you for those that replied