AfterDawn Forums

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

In case you want to ask something like "What components should I pick for my new PC?", start a new topic to our PC building forum.

#5726
I'll settle this.
Both cases are ugly. Quality is poor, neither look like they will stand the test of time. You bring shame upon your family name. Your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries.
Anyone with a certain level of sophistication, education and class knows that a thermaltake armor full tower is what a true afficianado uses to house their collection of parts that make up a PC...

AfterDawn Advertisement
#5727
I respect your opinion :)



To delete, or not to delete. THAT is the question!
#5728
I'll never know how you people can argue about cases when the SilverStone Temjin Series TJ11B-W takes the cake, bakes it for you, and serves it to you in comparison to those others. Unless your first name is Tom, you're not a real computer enthusiast if you don't have one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a...ID=3938566&SID=

EDIT: Anyone who says that I just went to pcpartpicker.com and looked up the most expensive case is a liar.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 21 Nov 2012 @ 2:38
#5729
That is a nice case Blazorthon. If I had the funds, I would totally entertain the idea of a build in that wonderful case! I don't know that the 600+USD figure is justified, but it certainly is a beauty. It nearly dwarfs my current case!



To delete, or not to delete. THAT is the question!
#5730
ROFL, I'll say this much. I had a mid-tower case as my main gaming PC case (NZXT Lexa) which served the role perfectly well until I took on the pair of HD4870X2s. Between them, those cards summed near enough 600W of heat. While that wasn't a problem for the cards themselves, it certainly was an issue for the chipset (having a chipset is a nuisance I don't miss!)

Enter the HAF932. Overkill for the majority of PCs of course but with that much heat, a system that was too hot to really work too well suddenly became a perfectly controlled thermal environment, at least until the graphics cards started to fill up with dust!

There are situations when you need a big case legitimately, just not many.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 21 Nov 2012 @ 5:22



Afterdawn Addict // Silent PC enthusiast // PC Build advisor // LANGamer Alias:Ratmanscoop
PC Specs page -- http://my.afterdawn.com/sammorris/blog_entry.cfm/11247
updated 10-Dec-13
#5731
And in my situation, I simply love large PC cases :p Large cases can vent a lot of heat as well ;)



To delete, or not to delete. THAT is the question!
#5732
Some rumours have begun circulating that AMD have cancelled the remainder of their large core architecture CPUs - Steamroller, Kaveri and Excavator.

AMD have officially denied these rumours, but it does make you wonder - rumours like this have to come from somewhere...

These architectures are already quite late, with 2014 releases slated for the successor to Piledriver.



Afterdawn Addict // Silent PC enthusiast // PC Build advisor // LANGamer Alias:Ratmanscoop
PC Specs page -- http://my.afterdawn.com/sammorris/blog_entry.cfm/11247
updated 10-Dec-13
#5733
Perhaps they've realized a new possibility, aimed more at per core performance. I certainly hope they're not going under though. A world of solely intel does not sound promising at all :S



To delete, or not to delete. THAT is the question!
#5734
I would disagree that it is that much better and I think you are getting picky a one or two points that don't warrant your conclusion as being much better, Sorry but true. I think your case is better, don't get me wrong as I would rather have a metal case, but as to performance not totally, and definitely not to price point.

I think I stated well prior why it isn't antiquated so I won't reiterate that point as you obviously aren't willing to comprehend. Inner height doesn't necessarily qualify that conclusion which seems to be the root of your argument.

We will have to disagree I guess,
Stevo

That's a really nice case Blaze but expensive.... WOW
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 21 Nov 2012 @ 12:29
#5735
Originally posted by Mr-Movies:
I would disagree that it is that much better and I think you are getting picky a one or two points that don't warrant your conclusion as being much better, Sorry but true. I think your case is better, don't get me wrong as I would rather have a metal case, but as to performance not totally, and definitely not to price point.

I think I stated well prior why it isn't antiquated so I won't reiterate that point as you obviously aren't willing to comprehend. Inner height doesn't necessarily qualify that conclusion which seems to be the root of your argument.

We will have to disagree I guess,
Stevo

That's a really nice case Blaze but expensive.... WOW

Stevo,

This is the second time you mentioned about "why it isn't antiquated", but you haven't given the reason or reasons. I'm willing to learn!

Russ

GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 - AMD FX-8320 @4.0GHz @1.312v - Corsair H-60 liquid CPU Cooler - 4x4 GB GSkill RipJaws DDR3/1866 Cas8, 8-9-9-24 - Corsair 400-R Case - OCZ FATAL1TY 550 watt Modular PSU - Intel 330 120GB SATA III SSD - WD Black 500GB SATA III - WD black 1 TB Sata III - WD Black 500GB SATA II - 2 Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD-Burner - Sony 420W 5.1 PL-II Suround Sound - GigaByte GTX550/1GB 970 Mhz Video - Asus VE247H 23.6" HDMI 1080p Monitor


#5736
Originally posted by Mr-Movies:

We will have to disagree I guess,
Stevo


I think we should, really. It's not really that important. If anything, it's less important than arguing superiority between like products from a performance standpoint as people will buy those solely on how well they perform. With cases, a large amount of the sale is personal taste, so even if a case did come out as 'better' from this argument, that wouldn't necessarily read large numbers of readers to buy it over the other.



Afterdawn Addict // Silent PC enthusiast // PC Build advisor // LANGamer Alias:Ratmanscoop
PC Specs page -- http://my.afterdawn.com/sammorris/blog_entry.cfm/11247
updated 10-Dec-13
#5737
each to their own & we'll leave it at that if you get my meaning.
#5738
Originally posted by theonejrs:
Originally posted by Mr-Movies:
I would disagree that it is that much better and I think you are getting picky a one or two points that don't warrant your conclusion as being much better, Sorry but true. I think your case is better, don't get me wrong as I would rather have a metal case, but as to performance not totally, and definitely not to price point.

I think I stated well prior why it isn't antiquated so I won't reiterate that point as you obviously aren't willing to comprehend. Inner height doesn't necessarily qualify that conclusion which seems to be the root of your argument.

We will have to disagree I guess,
Stevo

That's a really nice case Blaze but expensive.... WOW

Stevo,

This is the second time you mentioned about "why it isn't antiquated", but you haven't given the reason or reasons. I'm willing to learn!

Russ
You'll have to read back, as I have given the reasons, or give up on it as I'm not wasting my time on this further, it's just not worth it and you've frustrated me enough especially as busy as I am with work and other stuff more important right now.

Sorry but thanks for trying,
Stevo
#5739
Originally posted by omegaman7:
That is a nice case Blazorthon. If I had the funds, I would totally entertain the idea of a build in that wonderful case! I don't know that the 600+USD figure is justified, but it certainly is a beauty. It nearly dwarfs my current case!
http://pcpartpicker.com/mr/ncixus/silverstone-case-tj11bw

NCIX has it for a little over $560 ;)

Honestly though, I've never sent much more than $50 on a case and I can't imagine doing so except on a very expensive build. I've really gotten into the habit of watching for good deals on getting higher end cases so I often don't even spend $50 anymore, granted I don't normally look for anything bigger than a mid-tower anyway.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 21 Nov 2012 @ 20:31
#5740
I'll need to advance at my job a bit further before I can justify an expense like that. Yes, I have two jobs, but I still only pocket/save a few hundred a month :p



To delete, or not to delete. THAT is the question!
#5741
I'd say it'd be a long time before I buy a case that much, but actually, my server case was 300+VAT ($500), so technically I did!
Still, I'd have more difficulty justifying a desktop tower case that price given what you can get for a quarter of that price. Large server cases don't really get much cheaper than what I paid sadly.



Afterdawn Addict // Silent PC enthusiast // PC Build advisor // LANGamer Alias:Ratmanscoop
PC Specs page -- http://my.afterdawn.com/sammorris/blog_entry.cfm/11247
updated 10-Dec-13
#5742
That case is much like a server case for what it can hold so as it is for a special unique purpose I can see why it is soooo expensive. Like Blaze I don't normally spend more than $50 for a case and look for deals too but I would love to buy Sam's server case and in a special situation I would buy that case too.
#5743
Well, I think things were much more EXCITING before Blaze admitted he was joking:

Originally posted by Blaze:
I'll never know how you people can argue about cases when the SilverStone Temjin Series TJ11B-W takes the cake, bakes it for you, and serves it to you in comparison to those others. Unless your first name is Tom, you're not a real computer enthusiast if you don't have one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a...ID=3938566&SID=

EDIT: Anyone who says that I just went to pcpartpicker.com and looked up the most expensive case is a liar.

Because, I pulled it up on newegg, looked at the pictures, and then I noticed - HOLES ALL OVER THE PLACE.

Before I noticed those holes, my first thought was - looks almost as good as my Thermaltake spedo! (Deadrum had the right maker, Thermaltake, just the wrong model, spedo not armor. :)

But then I read this:

Originally posted by Sam:
Enter the HAF932. Overkill for the majority of PCs of course but with that much heat, a system that was too hot to really work too well suddenly became a perfectly controlled thermal environment, at least until the graphics cards started to fill up with dust!

I added the bold - and that is precisely my point - too many holes, means those cases are not designed to be POSITIVE PRESSURE cases. What does that mean? It means that dust is sucked into the case, through all the little cracks and crannies, by the negative pressure of too many exhaust fans, not over-balanced by MORE intake fans.

Simple fluid flow: Keep your static pressure higher than ambience, through enough intake fans, and every little crack in the case will be blowing out - meaning that dust can never come inside the case and reduce the effectiveness of any cooler.

I know that Sam thinks my 6 intake fans, 5 of which are 140s, is overkill, but what he doesn't appreciate, is that the Demciflex filters on every single intake kill at least 50% of the airflow, (mftr web site says 15% but that is a bold faced lie) so I had no choice but to balance off the 2 140 rear exhausts, and the 200 ceiling exhaust (on a speed-reducer coupler that came with one of the phanteks) with those 6 intake fans - cut in half air-flow wise by the demciflex filters. (I am not including the 800 rpm 120mm scythe exhaust fan BEHIND the motherboard as its airflow is minimal.)

I HAVE NO DUST INSIDE MY CASE - READ IT AND WEEP - NO DUST.

But I do indeed have dust on my filters - in fact my Demciflex filters are THICK with dust - it's time to wash them, and I should capture a photograph as part of this post, but at the moment I'm too lazy.

- hoping to spark a huge argument over positive pressure vs negative pressure cases so I can watch DDP once again say something to the effect: "Let's keep it in check boys." LOL

Rich
#5744
i can always do it to you so people can see i'm serious. are you game?
#5745
Originally posted by Mr-Movies:
That case is much like a server case for what it can hold so as it is for a special unique purpose I can see why it is soooo expensive. Like Blaze I don't normally spend more than $50 for a case and look for deals too but I would love to buy Sam's server case and in a special situation I would buy that case too.
Well then now it makes sense steve ;) Now don't get me wrong buddy! I'm not counting the cheaper cases out. I'm sure there are nice enough cases in that price range. Certainly for a build, that a customer isn't too 'hip' into PC's like we are ;) Why spend more, when a cheaper case can just work. And heck! If you find a cheap one, that isn't loud, accommodates the build, then go for it! ;) I'll likely do it! I've done it!!! I only splurge for myself LOL! If a customer wants a nice case, I'll direct them to one. If they want a cheap PC, I'll build them a cheap pc...

I'm not saying that your linked case is unworthy of big spender, but generally, they are. Because most shoppers know that you get what you pay for. I don't know about you, but I filter my results by price ;) And I don't always go for the cheapest.

I hope this isn't insulting. I totally have respect for you.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 21 Nov 2012 @ 21:52



To delete, or not to delete. THAT is the question!
#5746
Originally posted by Mr-Movies:
Originally posted by theonejrs:
Originally posted by Mr-Movies:
I would disagree that it is that much better and I think you are getting picky a one or two points that don't warrant your conclusion as being much better, Sorry but true. I think your case is better, don't get me wrong as I would rather have a metal case, but as to performance not totally, and definitely not to price point.

I think I stated well prior why it isn't antiquated so I won't reiterate that point as you obviously aren't willing to comprehend. Inner height doesn't necessarily qualify that conclusion which seems to be the root of your argument.

We will have to disagree I guess,
Stevo

That's a really nice case Blaze but expensive.... WOW

Stevo,

This is the second time you mentioned about "why it isn't antiquated", but you haven't given the reason or reasons. I'm willing to learn!

Russ
You'll have to read back, as I have given the reasons, or give up on it as I'm not wasting my time on this further, it's just not worth it and you've frustrated me enough especially as busy as I am with work and other stuff more important right now.

Sorry but thanks for trying,
Stevo

Stevo,

No, I'm not going to read back. Especially since in your other post you weren't sure whether you had posted it at all!

This whole thing was portrayed by you as a joke, you know, pulling Sam's chain! I guess in the back of your mind it wasn't a joke at all! Otherwise you would have no reason to be frustrated now! You started this issue, not me so please don't be blaming me for your frustrations!

Respectfully,
Russ

GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 - AMD FX-8320 @4.0GHz @1.312v - Corsair H-60 liquid CPU Cooler - 4x4 GB GSkill RipJaws DDR3/1866 Cas8, 8-9-9-24 - Corsair 400-R Case - OCZ FATAL1TY 550 watt Modular PSU - Intel 330 120GB SATA III SSD - WD Black 500GB SATA III - WD black 1 TB Sata III - WD Black 500GB SATA II - 2 Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD-Burner - Sony 420W 5.1 PL-II Suround Sound - GigaByte GTX550/1GB 970 Mhz Video - Asus VE247H 23.6" HDMI 1080p Monitor


#5747
Originally posted by harvardguy:

I HAVE NO DUST INSIDE MY CASE - READ IT AND WEEP - NO DUST.

But I do indeed have dust on my filters - in fact my Demciflex filters are THICK with dust - it's time to wash them, and I should capture a photograph as part of this post, but at the moment I'm too lazy.

FWIW, this situation occurred when using:

Intake: 4x120mm @ 1900rpm, 1x230mm @ 700rpm
Exhaust: 2x120mm @ 1900rpm, 1x140mm @ 1000rpm

I believe that makes it positive pressure from more intake than exhaust, as per your setup?
The only real way to stop dust is dust filters, which the side intakes on the HAF932 (closest to the graphics cards) don't have.



Afterdawn Addict // Silent PC enthusiast // PC Build advisor // LANGamer Alias:Ratmanscoop
PC Specs page -- http://my.afterdawn.com/sammorris/blog_entry.cfm/11247
updated 10-Dec-13
#5748
Originally posted by harvardguy:
Well, I think things were much more EXCITING before Blaze admitted he was joking:

Originally posted by Blaze:
I'll never know how you people can argue about cases when the SilverStone Temjin Series TJ11B-W takes the cake, bakes it for you, and serves it to you in comparison to those others. Unless your first name is Tom, you're not a real computer enthusiast if you don't have one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a...ID=3938566&SID=

EDIT: Anyone who says that I just went to pcpartpicker.com and looked up the most expensive case is a liar.

Because, I pulled it up on newegg, looked at the pictures, and then I noticed - HOLES ALL OVER THE PLACE.

Before I noticed those holes, my first thought was - looks almost as good as my Thermaltake spedo! (Deadrum had the right maker, Thermaltake, just the wrong model, spedo not armor. :)

But then I read this:

Originally posted by Sam:
Enter the HAF932. Overkill for the majority of PCs of course but with that much heat, a system that was too hot to really work too well suddenly became a perfectly controlled thermal environment, at least until the graphics cards started to fill up with dust!

I added the bold - and that is precisely my point - too many holes, means those cases are not designed to be POSITIVE PRESSURE cases. What does that mean? It means that dust is sucked into the case, through all the little cracks and crannies, by the negative pressure of too many exhaust fans, not over-balanced by MORE intake fans.

Simple fluid flow: Keep your static pressure higher than ambience, through enough intake fans, and every little crack in the case will be blowing out - meaning that dust can never come inside the case and reduce the effectiveness of any cooler.

I know that Sam thinks my 6 intake fans, 5 of which are 140s, is overkill, but what he doesn't appreciate, is that the Demciflex filters on every single intake kill at least 50% of the airflow, (mftr web site says 15% but that is a bold faced lie) so I had no choice but to balance off the 2 140 rear exhausts, and the 200 ceiling exhaust (on a speed-reducer coupler that came with one of the phanteks) with those 6 intake fans - cut in half air-flow wise by the demciflex filters. (I am not including the 800 rpm 120mm scythe exhaust fan BEHIND the motherboard as its airflow is minimal.)

I HAVE NO DUST INSIDE MY CASE - READ IT AND WEEP - NO DUST.

But I do indeed have dust on my filters - in fact my Demciflex filters are THICK with dust - it's time to wash them, and I should capture a photograph as part of this post, but at the moment I'm too lazy.

- hoping to spark a huge argument over positive pressure vs negative pressure cases so I can watch DDP once again say something to the effect: "Let's keep it in check boys." LOL

Rich

Hi Rich,

I used the airflow, with a little addition in fans, to direct the dust to the side cover fan on my C/M RC-534+. Nothing but air flows through the radiator. I haven't cleaned it since I installed the CoolIt. That's at least a year ago! I'm not sure what I will do with that cooler yet. It's far more cooling than I need in the new Corsair 400R, case, that's for sure. A Corsair H-60 does just fine, with 1/3 less radiator, and only a single fan. The case is a marvel at cooling. It's 75F (23C) in my room. It idles at 23C-25C, which just happens to be the ambient room temperature. I've ordered one of these Arctic Cooling PWM fans to replace the 1700 rpm stock fan on the H-60 radiator. Strictly pull out the top of the case, no push. vewy vewy Quiet! It has 18 more cfm than the stock fan at 1350 rpm, 36, so it should cool it just as well as the Scythe Slipstream 140, another serious noisemaker, did. 650 to 3000 rpm, 12.4dBA to 36.4 dBA. This Arctic Cooling fan should be a perfect fit for my needs, and much quieter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a...fans%20120%20mm

Best Regards,
Russ

GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 - AMD FX-8320 @4.0GHz @1.312v - Corsair H-60 liquid CPU Cooler - 4x4 GB GSkill RipJaws DDR3/1866 Cas8, 8-9-9-24 - Corsair 400-R Case - OCZ FATAL1TY 550 watt Modular PSU - Intel 330 120GB SATA III SSD - WD Black 500GB SATA III - WD black 1 TB Sata III - WD Black 500GB SATA II - 2 Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD-Burner - Sony 420W 5.1 PL-II Suround Sound - GigaByte GTX550/1GB 970 Mhz Video - Asus VE247H 23.6" HDMI 1080p Monitor


#5749
Originally posted by theonejrs:
Originally posted by Mr-Movies:
Originally posted by theonejrs:
Originally posted by Mr-Movies:
I would disagree that it is that much better and I think you are getting picky a one or two points that don't warrant your conclusion as being much better, Sorry but true. I think your case is better, don't get me wrong as I would rather have a metal case, but as to performance not totally, and definitely not to price point.

I think I stated well prior why it isn't antiquated so I won't reiterate that point as you obviously aren't willing to comprehend. Inner height doesn't necessarily qualify that conclusion which seems to be the root of your argument.

We will have to disagree I guess,
Stevo

That's a really nice case Blaze but expensive.... WOW

Stevo,

This is the second time you mentioned about "why it isn't antiquated", but you haven't given the reason or reasons. I'm willing to learn!

Russ
You'll have to read back, as I have given the reasons, or give up on it as I'm not wasting my time on this further, it's just not worth it and you've frustrated me enough especially as busy as I am with work and other stuff more important right now.

Sorry but thanks for trying,
Stevo

Stevo,

No, I'm not going to read back. Especially since in your other post you weren't sure whether you had posted it at all!

This whole thing was portrayed by you as a joke, you know, pulling Sam's chain! I guess in the back of your mind it wasn't a joke at all! Otherwise you would have no reason to be frustrated now! You started this issue, not me so please don't be blaming me for your frustrations!

Respectfully,
Russ
You just don't get it!
#5750
I have a feeling someone's going to get it soon! Haha.



If you do not have an AfterDawn.com accout yet, please enter a nickname and your email address below.

We will send an account activation link to the email address you provide, so please make sure to use a valid address. Content will be published on site after you have activated your account.

If you already have an AfterDawn.com account, please login using the next tab.

Login by using your AfterDawn username or your email address.

Reply to this discussion thread