1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie help with Openbox s11

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by a_a1, May 29, 2012.

1. a_a1

a_a1 Member

Was in two minds, whether to get an openbox s11 or blade 7000s. Blade 7000s is obviously the better of the two and I understand the setup guide with it. Will probably go with the openbox s11 considering the price difference, value, and it being my first box. I know we are limited to what we can discuss here, so pm me anything that I need to know that you cant say on this thread.

If anyone has an indepth s11 setup guide, simple, step by step, send it to me. The one on this forum for the s9 is the best ive seen, but its not for s11 and i assume i'll need different firmware.

But lets assume I have a open box s11, and dish (two aerial cables). Not motorised and not particularly interested in foreign channels. I want all UK satellite channels. We don’t need to discuss c-lines I vaguely understand this, know of them, but open to any suggestions.

What I don’t understand is:

1 – Why do I need firmware and where I can get it from ? (Send me the link :D dont say search because ive searched for ages !). Can I get an openbox and install c-line via remote control with standard firmware ?. Or do I need a specific firmware to enable me to achieve what I want, adding c-line for example. To install this firmware ill need a pen drive? ....
    2 - cccam.cfg (no idea really) – So can I just skip this and enter my c-line information via the remote control ? Or does this contain other information needed besides the c-line.

Will the s11 be similar to this ? http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f...nbox_s9_for_cardsharing_with_pictures-919157/ . If it is, I should be ok after playing around with it.

Pm anything you want to keep private. If anybody wants to nominate themselves as a point of help feel free :D

Thanks for all your time :) (Hope i picked the right room to post in)

2. piopat

piopat Active member

"1 – Why do I need firmware"
    the firmware is the tv software ,the box may come with regular free to air tv software but if your planning on using a c line you need to change this to the patched firmware .simply put the patched firmware contains the cams and hidden menus where you put your c line ,so if you plan on using a c line you need the patched s11 firmware .you can add a c line with the remote control or you can add your c line to a cccam.cfg file and upload it to your box .

"2 - cccam.cfg (no idea really) – So can I just skip this and enter my c-line information via the remote control ? Or does this contain other information needed besides the c-line"
    see the last few sentences above.

the s9 is a bigger box than the s10/s11 and the menus may look a little different and you have to use s11 firmware but the same principles apply to all 3 boxes ,so in that sense the openbox tutorial is good for all the openbox boxes .

3. a_a1

a_a1 Member

Perfect, just the person i was hoping would answer. So ive got the jist of firmware etc now. Any tips on where to find the firmware for a s11 ? :)

Or any suggestions on an alternative box and firmware, within a similar price range.

4. piopat

piopat Active member

hi mate thats really the only hd box capable of cs at that price range .the firmware is easy enough to get online or i can get it for you but first you need to know if the box is a clone or an original,of course you cant know this untill you actually have the box .so i suggest you buy the box and when it comes check post number 13 in my tutorial here
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f...for_cardsharing_with_pictures-919157/#5607948

once you know if the box is a clone or an original then we can get the correct firmware for it .you will need a usb memory stick ,which you download the firmware onto ,the stick then goes in the back of the box and you upload the firmware to the box using the box menus.it doesnt need to be an expensive usb stick with lots of memory an inexpensive 2 or 4 gb stick for about £6 or £8 will suffice.

5. a_a1

a_a1 Member

When ive got the box, ill check back to get the right firmware for it. Thanks for the help.

6. kieranstoke

kieranstoke Member

Hello Piopat.

Just trying to sort the firmware out on my new Openbox S11.
    Weve been speaking briefly on another thread.
    Any chance of that link for the new firmware?
    Its not on your profile is it? Spent an age nosying on there.

Kieran

7. piopat

piopat Active member

hi mate ive got openbox firmware in the first link of my signature area but non specific to the s11 .i know some of the firmware can be used on multiple boxes but i dont know for certain if the firmware in my link can be used on the s11 .i can direct you to where you can download the firmware ,but ill have to send you a pm .

8. richo44

richo44 Member

hi piopat,ive just read this thread and im wondering if you can direct me to where i can get the right firmware for s11,im new to all this stuff and any help would be gratefull,thanks

9. piopat

piopat Active member

richo first you have to find out if your box is an original or clone ,click on the fourth link in my signture area (near the bottom of my posts and pms ) its a link to an openbox tutorial . its for the s9 but dont worry as s9 to s11 models are pretty much the same . theres a page there explaining how to check if your box is a clone or an original ,once you know that you can get firmware .

10. saammii688

saammii688 Member

Hi i bought an openbox s11 six months ago everything was ok till the other night when all the channels became locked can u help me please?

11. piopat

piopat Active member

hi mate you say ALL the channels but do you mean just pay channels ? are you recieving free to air channels ? . if your not recieving free to air channels atleast then perhaps your firmware has gone on the blink ,which means you will probably have to flash the box again . you say all worked fine for 6 months so if your free to air channels are working but not pay channels then maybe your c line has expired ? .

12. saammii688

saammii688 Member

hi yes still recieving free channels, what is a c line? i paid for mine already done x

13. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

will you keep your question to one thread, a cline is what you paid for, so I suggest you contact the person who supplied it to you and find out whats happened as its sounds to be the cline is gone or expired

14. piopat

piopat Active member

i can only assume you bought the box ready to go or plug and play ,which means that all you had to do was connect it up to your dish and broadband router . but the box would have come with whats called a c line inside it ,you may not have known about the c line but thats what would have to have been in your box . simply put a c line is basicly a line of info that the person who sold you the box put into the box ,a c line allows your box to connect to a server ,then your box collects the info it needs and the pay channels open .when you purchased the box the fee would have included the c line and the pay channels ,but a c line like this only works for a specific lenght of time which is determined by how much you paid for the c line . usuall a c line lasts a month /3 months /6 months or 12 months ,in your case it seems you got 6 months .

to put it in very simple terms how all this works is imagine when you put a friends phone number into your phone what happens ? your phone connects to your friends phone and you can have a conversation. well in a way a c line works in a simillar way ,basicly when your box has a c line and the box is connected to your router the c line acts like a phone number and it connects your box to whats called a server ,and then the sever provides the info to your box so that it can open the pay channels .

now a c line is not free ,and i can assure you that you paid for a 6 month c line when you bought the box , your box shouldnt really have cost any more than about €90 to a €100 as standard (if you check online stores you can see the price an openbox s11 goes for ) id say you probably paid quite a bit more maybe upwards of €200 ,that would include a fee for the guy to set your box up and includes the cost of the c line .

so you have 3 options
    1/ you contact the person who sold you the box and ask them if they will re activate the c line for another 6 months ,of course you will have to pay for another 6 months and that will be an on going thing every 6 months .

2/ you could try and buy a c line yourself from another source and put the c line in the box yourself ,this is relatively easy on an openbox but again as above a c line is not free .

3/you could just forget about a c line and view the free to air channels

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  15. Ciaran_mac3

Ciaran_mac3 Member

Hi,

I am a newbie and have been trooling the threads for days gathering the information I require. I am basically looking the same as above...

step by step setup instructions for openbox s11.

Anybody out there has anything for me that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ciaran

16. piopat

piopat Active member

17. Ciaran_mac3

Ciaran_mac3 Member

Thanks Piopat well needed I shall let you know how it goes looks detailed enough

18. piopat

piopat Active member

hi ciaran these boxes are reasonably easy to setup but i know they always look complicated when its your first time,so just read the tutorial first and be sure your understanding what you need to do .and when you try it id say you will be just fine .

19. Ciaran_mac3

Ciaran_mac3 Member

Thanks Piopat it does seem quite daunting at first but im sure its like everything else, easy when you know how, should be fine with the tutorial....just can't wait to try now (box ordered and en route)...:D

Cheers piopat...Leg-end

20. piopat

piopat Active member

your wellcome mate ,if you have any problems or questions you know where we are mate.