1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starview 4 The Box Super USB - Invalid Box?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by da_mage, Jul 8, 2009.

1. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Its a supplier issue see if they will replace the box under warranty for you, as you said if they are decent they will. The problem is that earlier models are been killed by the clone killing firmware, obviously this wasn't looked at when the firmware was introduced.

The firmware makes a number of checks and then if it finds/ or doesn't find certain things then bye bye bootlader. If you see the same message constantly flashing during channel change my only advice is never turn the power off. You just put it in standby, if you unplug it or are unfortunate enough to have a power failure it wont come back on.

As TheBish said above there is a Jtag header on the board. I have also looked into the type of Jtag and application needed, but its up to the supplier to provide the Jtag information. No one should be forced down this route if they have a genuine box.

2. da_mage

da_mage Member

Just updating to say I never did hear anything back from the supplier I bought the Super USB's from 'cablebox4u.co.uk' following a few emails asking for advice, so suffice to say I won't be using them again when I decide to purchase a Kryptview.

From what I've been reading, suppliers don't want to know or get involved regarding this Starview problem which is a real shame. IIRC there was a 1 year warranty on my Starviews, but not sure how the policy works if I loaded firmware on there myself - then again the firmware releases are offical Starview releases aren't they?

3. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

early ones were, but later ones were done by other sources, ya see these things are tricky at the best of times when it comes to warranty etc, what constitutes a breach of warranty or what invalidates a warranty, because the nature of the beast and its use, anything could be thrown at you as an excuse, for example, they can say "well I sold it FTA" its what you put on it that broke it etc etc etc. its a bloody mire,

4. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Just put the FTA only firmware back on it.

5. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

yep, ya could do that alrite, but would the error code not give them game away perhaps? that you tried to flash it or was flashed? just wondering

6. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Sorry Mick I missed a :) or lol after my last post as you cannot load anything onto one of these bricked boxes.

Sometimes my sense of satire is lacking :)

7. bassliner

bassliner Member

Appreciate reply :)
    It's a fine mess atm, will look more into the Jtag and anything else i can find out.
    Will let yas know what the provider says when i attempt to get something out of this, wanna wait a few days and see if same thing happens to my friends unit.
    But as Mickah says they might argue that i damaged it with the firmware i uploaded on it.
    Will stick with your advice about leaving it on standby, so if the 'invalid box' mesage comes up again on each channel change ,would ya recommend flashing with the FTA firmware till or if there will be a fix for it ?

8. bassliner

bassliner Member

ps scouser ..would appreciate any info on the Jtag and application if possible sent by PM or post on here..
    Cheers :)

9. Jabonski

Jabonski Guest

I got one of these boxes in April all was fine until last week when I was getting the invalid box message after updating firmware. I didn't know not to turn it off until it was too late, now obviously it won't switch on. The thing I am upset with is I bought it from a place in Liverpool (I won't name incase I break forum rules) but was not made aware it was a clone, I found out it was when I read an article on the silver heatsink and other tell tale signs of a cloned box and found out mine was. Obviously they don't want to know as the firmware has been ammended. I hope someone can come up with a fix as otherwise I have a bricked box for good. Does anyone know the liklihood of a fix for original and clones or shall I just get a Krpytview? Thanks

10. da_mage

da_mage Member

sc0user, I was just thinking again about the firmware bricking the box but something confuses me: why did it take approx 3 weeks for the box to brick following a successful flash?

I mean, I successfully flashed the firmware and it worked perfectly up until the 'invalid box' sega began 3 weeks later - if the firmware was bricking the boxes, wouldn't it do it pretty much instantaneously?

If not, is there a 'timebomb' delay of sorts on these things to kill the clones over time or is it when the keys roll over maybe? My other box is still fine, but now I'm worried the timebomb factor will kick in again and brick this one too.

11. Jabonski

Jabonski Guest

da_mage, Were you switching the box on and off or leaving yours in standby mode say overnight? The reason I am asking is mine was ok for three days after flashing until mine bricked but on thinking back I remembered I had only turned the box of at the wall the night before it wouldn't come back on then in the morning it would not switch on. From what I can gather it is the bootloader that gets wiped out and if you leave the box switched on or even in standby mode it is ok, it is only once you switch it off completely the bootloader is needed and won't then work. I may have miss understood something but that's how I understand it from the posts on here and other info I have obtained.

12. da_mage

da_mage Member

Jabonski, I hear what you're saying - I can't be 100% sure that the unit was turned off via the wall socket/power switch, i would have thought over the approx 3 weeks since the flash it would have been, but I'm just not sure to be honest.

I read that there will probably be a hardware/software combo (Jtagger?) released eventually for the Starview Super USB to fix this problem, but by the time it's available Negra*ison 3 will be fully rolled-out and the box will be usless anyway!

13. axle108

axle108 Member

got sv4 usb 2 weeks ago, box was working fine, yesterday warning invalid box came up on screen. i know dont unplug it. box was bought from s...onder. looks like earlier boxes are being supplied.

14. axle108

axle108 Member

help.........me too getting warning invalid box message,

15. OBEONE

OBEONE Member

Last night i was getting the same message and like every night i turned the power off from the wall to day its dead all power gone it wasent a clone or now i ask what is a clone i bought mine on line have reported the fault they seem to be nice enough if every one that has the same thing happening the box get in thouch were you bought it they might do something about it iam getting looked after also my friend got one same day as me neaver turns off the power and her box is working fine

16. Ireland23

Ireland23 Member

have the same problem, not gonna turn mine off. Hopefully there will be a fix soon

17. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

get back on to your supplier and see will he do anything for ya/exchange for another box,
    (but be warned once you put firmware on your box thats your warranty gone)

18. nealos

nealos Member

Know what lads, i am sick as a pig right now. I ordered 5 boxes off a supplier in Liverpool (Is it really against rules to post names cos i am not one bit happy about this!) and they are all clones!

I am not making a penny off them but doing friends a favour to get them in for them. I was going to get Kryptviews and instead they all wanted these SV4's.

Anyway, i just wanted to say thanks to the fore-warnings and i am not going to flash these boxes now instead return them ASAP for a full refund. Probably lose the shipping but hey, better than having 5 angry guys on my doorstep in 48 hrs!!!

Cheers!

19. Skelly88

Skelly88 Regular member

You just put it in standby, if you unplug it or are unfortunate enough to have a power failure it wont come back on.

Maybe you should think about running it off a generator lol

20. legends1

legends1 Member

sure i got recommended the company getting mentioned on this forum?? think we have to tell fellow purchasers to stay clear?? no one likes losing cash? just after buying one off that firm for a friend? will not be a friend for long?