1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starview 4 The Box Super USB - Invalid Box?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by da_mage, Jul 8, 2009.

1. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

what company did you get the boxes from??

2. nealos

nealos Member

http://www.satandcable.co.uk/s/index.php?cPath=65

This crowd. Saying it'll work in ireland, it will alright then soon as you unplug it you have a fine paperweight.

I mailed them this morning but not holding my breath on a fast reply. I already used the Returns form on their site and i'll be sending them back after bank-holiday weekend.

A pure sickener.

Is it worth my while asking for Original SV's or just getting my momeny back and going elsewhere - possibly even getting the Kryptviews???

Cheers.

3. nealos

nealos Member

Sorry for double post - but perhaps a silly question?

Are ALL these clones going to go? I mean, is every clone going to stop working soon as it is unplugged or just the older models?

Am i right to send them back or as mentioned above is this mainly an issue with older firmware and older boxes?

???

4. Jabonski

Jabonski Guest

Nealos, that's the place where I got mine from, I have emailed them plenty of times and no response. I am from Liverpool and picked it up from the actual counter of their shop. I am currently working away during the week so it is awkward for me to get in to see them by person. I won't have a leg to stand on because I have already put later firmware on therfore invalidating my warranty. I hope you get your money back though. On your question regarding firmware, version 1.07 currently works fine with clone boxes in the UK but the latest one 1.10 is what kills the bootloader on clones, (and apparently some older but original Starview 4's), this is why the box appears dead when powering it on. As I say Version 1.07 works fine in the UK at the moment on clones but if there is an update by the cable provider then it won't. In Ireland I understand you need a higher version firmware than 1.07 so the clone will not be of use there.

5. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

well if they can replace them for originals, its your choice whether you want to take a chance!
    by the way were you asked if you wanted a B type box super, or an a++
    as ive seen this in some suppliers online catalogues,
    i just assumed that the B type ment clone as they were maybe £10 cheaper?

6. nealos

nealos Member

I'll be putting whatever software works in Ireland on them. I am not sure if that is 1.07 or 1.10? I'll have to look into that, all it says is SVbin file_beta?

So if i do not need to put 1.10 on for Ireland will this mean the boxes are ok to use?

7. nealos

nealos Member

Sorry just re-read that post. You mentioned that i need 1.10 due to it being ireland.

So brings me to my next question ... we're seeing "Some" people getting this issue with the bootloader getting killed. Is it every clone with high firmware? Or just some? Is it older boxes as is suggested above?

Agh, either way i have submitted it to the suppliers, i will see what they say and either return them based on that or flash them and hope for the best!

Anyone out there have a clone that still working? Would be nice to know that some work.

8. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

yes the newest firmware is the beta one for ireland
    but if you put firmware on the box and it dies you have no or little chance of getting them to exchange or your money back for that box/boxes, and believe me your box has a 100% chance of being blocked if it is a clone,
    you have been told the risk, i also sent you a pm read it

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  9. nealos

nealos Member

Yeah, i am definately returning them, already filled out the 14day returns from and i will get my money back if its the last thing i do.

Cheers for all the help!

10. nealos

nealos Member

RE: URGENT QUERY

I think the part on the forums about a box dying because it has a silver heat sink is a bit of nonsense. If the Starview 4 doesn’t have a heat sink surely this is a design flaw/ measure of saving money. As most engineers would agree that putting a heat sink over a microprocessor to stop it overheating is a good idea.

Its up to you we offer a 14 day unwanted returns policy. I’m pretty certain that loading any original software onto the box will have no affect whatsoever.

Kind regards

Sales

Sat and Cable Ltd

www.satandcable.co.uk
    ========================
    See guys we're talking nonsense ;)

11. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

12. OBEONE

OBEONE Member

i got 8 boxes for friends and family got them from a good supplier my one was the only one that died i phoned the company on thursday they told me to send it back i did and had a replacement on wednesday i think you have to be careful where you buy

13. legends1

legends1 Member

mine has bricked!!! just paid 90quid? not got a clue? are starview 4,s a no no??? totally peed aff!!! any help fae the experts will gae me some hope?

14. eddub

eddub Member

Just received 5 Starview 4 from satandcable and all have a silver heatsink!!!
    I seem to receive the basic digital package only (not rte2 or TV3 though...).
    So am I right in saying that, as of today, there's no firmware that I can safely install on these clones to view all channels?

15. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

you are correct, get back to satandcable and see if they will exchange them for you or money back.

16. cactikid

cactikid Active member

clone sv4 with heatsink cannot take the v1.10 or beta file as they will kill clones in irl,uk can use a different firmware as it will not kill them,so return to sender i would say.

17. AWSATS

AWSATS Member

18. AWSATS

AWSATS Member

they are the biggest sellers of clones in the uk

19. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

I am gonna add them to the list on the hits and tips page

20. bassliner

bassliner Member

Pleased to say i got my replacement box back today :)
    Sent email explaining what happened and was just told to send it back and it be replaced..
    Delighted they stuck to their word and guess they must be recommended based on my experience.
    http://www.theboxdistribution.co.uk/
    I had got a lend of one in the meantime and had no such problem with it..
    Fingers crossed this will not happen again , whilst i was rightly pissed off it happened in the first place i do think it's a great box with the USB recording and pause feature etc...
    Has anyone put a 2.5 laptop hard drive into an USB powered external enclosure and work ok , if so which enclosure did yas buy ?