1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod Modding Tutorials

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by Lethal_B, Mar 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

*This is part one of an ongoing tutorial (just one step at a time ;)
    *Pt.2 can be found here - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/323431#1894044 [update 02-04-06]
    *Pt.3 can be found here - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/5/323431#1933588 [update 15-04-06]
    *Pt.4 can be found here - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/7/323431#1982024 [update 02-05-05] [bold](*Rockbox*)[/bold]

There are many guides providing different information on how to go about hacking & customizing the iPod, so my aim in creating this thread is to hopefully simplify the methods in order for you to gain a better understanding. It is also a chance for you to put forward modding suggestions & tips.

The method of modding which I most prefer to practice is arguably the simplest and safest way to do so.

[​IMG]

[bold]INTRODUCTION[/bold]

iPod Wizard is a great program allowing you to change themes, fonts and graphics, and can be very rewarding as long as the process is done correctly. It allows you to modify the settings on iPod firmware using the Updater, and subequently implement them onto your iPod.

I am going to give a tutorial here showing clearly (whilst in detail) exactly how to change the [bold]graphics[/bold] on your iPod.

[bold]DISCLAIMER[/bold]

The methods I give in this tutorial are tried & tested by myself, and are safe to use providing they are followed correctly. The methods and techniques are not sanctioned by Apple, and could void your warranty. Follow these steps at your own risk!

[bold]THINGS YOU WILL NEED[/bold]

<1> A Colour iPod (iPod Nano, iPod 4th generation Photo, or iPod Video)
    <2> iPodWizard. The latest version is v1.2, and the download can be found through this link - http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=153441
    <3> iPod Firmware/Updater. I recommend you guys use version 1.0, as it is the most stable. The download of iPod Updater 2005-11-17 v1.0 can be found here - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y44N4BER
    <4> iHack - http://www.ipodwizard.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3392&d=1127255814

[bold]NOW TO BEGIN..[/bold]

<1> Extract and load your iPodWizard Software.

<2> Click [bold]"Open Updater"[/bold]
    [​IMG]

<3> Load the iPod Updater that your just downloaded. I recommend v1.0 (2005-11-17), but it should work with any other Updater.

<4> Under the "Firmware" menu, select your model of iPod.
    [​IMG]
    Once you have done that, click "Load".

<5>
    (i) Click on the "Firmware Editor" tab, followed by the "Pictures" (ii) tab. You will now have an 'index' (iii) with a dropdown menu showing you each and every graphic that is written onto your iPod's firmware.
    [​IMG]

We can modify these graphics and write them to the Updater, and once we synchronize our iPod using the Updater, the modifications will appear on the iPod aswell.

[bold]CHANGING THE GRAPHICS[/bold]

There are a couple of methods you can use to modify the graphics.

You can [bold]manually edit[/bold] the bitmap images..

Select an image you would like to modify/replace from the drop-down menu, and click "Save Image" (Located to the right of the interface).

This will save a copy of the image in .bmp (bitmap) format to your HDD. Open the image with an image editing program such as [bold]Photoshop, Macromedia Fireworks[/bold], or even just the basic [bold]MS Paint[/bold] -- and edit the image to whatever you wish.

[​IMG]

Remember though, [bold]Don't change the image’s dimensions![/bold]. Once you have finished, save the modified file and use the iPodWizard "Load Image" function to replace the existing photo in the firmware image. Repeat this process with each graphic you wish to change.

Alternatively, you can load a whole group of bitmap images that have been prepared as a 'Theme'.

To get hold of themes for your particular iPod, the best source to look are the [bold]iPodWizard Themes forums[/bold] - http://www.ipodwizard.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Once you have downloaded a 'theme' (which will consist of a .zip/.rar file filled with bitmap images), then extract them into an empty folder. (Please be sure that the themes you download are created for your firmware version, as the order & number of graphics varies with each update).

Then, click on the "Load All" function in iPW, and load the folder in which you extracted the 'theme'.

[bold]WRITING YOUR THEME TO YOUR FIRMWARE[/bold]

Once you have finished tweaking with your bitmap images, you are almost finished. Click "Write" which is located at the very top in the center.
    [​IMG]

Once the confirmation that the changes you implemented were sucessfully written onto the updater, You can exit iPodWizard.

[bold]TRANSFERRING TO IPOD[/bold]

All you have left to do, is simply connect your iPod to your PC and use the "Restore" feature on the Updater to rewrite the firmware with the modified version.

However, if you don’t want to "Restore" your iPod (Which deletes all content), You will have to patch the Updater with [bold]iHack[/bold]

iHack will set the iPod’s firmware version a small amount below its current level before you run the iPod Software Updater, re-enabling the "Update" button. Open iHack (you will find it at C:/Program Files/iHack/ by default), and click the "Patch..." button while your iPod is connected to your PC and the [bold]disk mode[/bold] feature is enabled. Select your iPod’s drive letter, and iHack will do the rest. Now click the "Update" button, and you will have successfully changed the graphics on your iPod.

[bold]GALLERY[/bold]

This is the sort of thing your can expect to see upon modifying your theme..
    [​IMG]

Enjoy!!

Last edited: May 2, 2006
  2. jasonyhap

jasonyhap Member

If you should have any problems with the themes is it possible to restore the firmware for your ipod.

3. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Thanks This is so cool!
    What is the Name of your Theme?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  4. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

Very Nice addition Lethal. Good Work. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2006
  5. Lethal_B

Cheers jazo. The themes picured aren't the ones I have applied to my iPod. I have a "Super Mario" theme as I am a SNES junkie as well as an iPod enthusiast.

Yes. If you are unhappy with your theme or you haven't applied it correctly, all you need is a clean (unmodded) Updater.

This is [bold]extremely basic[/bold] modding for the newbies. As this thread progresses, I will instruct on how to change writing styles amongst other more advanced hacks & tips.

6. jasonyhap

jasonyhap Member

Thks. for the info..good job by the way...:)

7. Lethal_B

Thanks jasonyhap.

Don't be afraid to try this out. It is an extremely basic procedure, and can give your iPod a real cutting-edge theme. If anyone gets stuck, please post here. If anyone sucessfully mods their theme, please post us a screen shot :)

8. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

You can also downgrade you Firmware in iPodwizard and then Update it not Restore it to apply the Theme!

~Domreis

9. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

I will test the themes of it over the weekend and post a picture by Monday hopefully.

10. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

Lethal, do you have the link to your Super Mario theme, I've been searching for it on that website [for about 2 hours through both the website and google searches] and can't find it. Did you make it yourself?

11. Lethal_B

Domreis, that only works if your modded firmware is newer than the one already on your iPod. And if it isn't newer than your installed firmware, then you have to use iHack -- as mentioned above

12. Lethal_B

I took a 4g mario theme and modified it to work with my 5g. I'll send it to you if you give me your e-mail address (via PM)

13. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

Lethal--

Where can I find a theme like the pic that you posted on the bottom?
    Is that the Red Tribal theme?

14. jasonyhap

jasonyhap Member

Lethal's screenshot is Tribal theme i saw it from the site he provided a link to for the themes.

15. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

Okay, TY

16. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

Lethal-

I opened up iPod Wizard. I didn't even bother installing the 2005-11-17 software because I already have v1.0 firmware installed. I go to "Open Updater" and I can't find the 2005-11-17 folder, so I restored my iPod using 2005-11-17, since that is the version that you recommended.

I still can't find it when I go to "Open Updater". It is on my desktop under "iPod", but when I open the folder in "open updater" it doesn't have it. I go into iTunes and it doesn't have any of my music on the iPod, so I know it restored it.

I'm not sure what to do, please help!!!
    Thank You all who reply!

17. jasonyhap

jasonyhap Member

i think you can find your ipod updater in the ipod folder in your program files..if thats what your looking for...also if you have the disc you received with your ipod you can copy over the updater to a folder on your harddrive.don't know if that would help...

18. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

I know what folder it is, it just won't show up in that folder in iPod Wizard. :)

19. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

Okay, I finally found it in iPod Wizard. I click on "iPod Updater 2005-11-17" and click on Open. Nothing happens. Any suggestions?

20. jasonyhap

jasonyhap Member

Don't you get the option to pick which firmware to load

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.