1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FireFox embedded video capture; NO programs required!

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by nanu-nanu, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nanu-nanu

nanu-nanu Member

I have posted another guide for "retrieving videos" in Internet Explorer which can be found here.

This guide is for "retrieving videos" if you use Firefox.

First you must "Unhide" the "Application Data" folder.

1. Start-->My Documents-->Tools-->Folder Options
    [​IMG]

2. View. Make sure the items checked or not checked in red, as seen below, are the same items checked or unchecked on your Computer.

[​IMG]

3. Click Apply then OK.

Now you are ready to find the videos.

Here is the folder/file path:

C:\Documents and Settings\~username~\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ug2v6ezh.default\Cache

[​IMG]

As you can see I arranged the "files" by size. For videos look for files that are thousands of kb in size. Then just "drag and drop" the file to the desktop. As for playing the videos. I have the latest k-lite full codec pack installed, and VLC Player. The file will play with either media player or VLC Player. The file can also be renamed to an .avi file. Additionally, the file can be converted using SUPER.

You will have to select each large file and try to play it to find the video you are looking for. I have found that the best way to do this is to "Clear Private Data" or Crtl+Shift+Del when firefox is open, then go directly to the internet site of the video you are looking for. Let the video load then go:

C:\Documents and Settings\~username~\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ug2v6ezh.default\Cache

Locate the video "drag and drop" to your desktop and enjoy.

The smaller files are pictures, which you can "drag and drop" to the desktop, rename to a format compatible with what ever program you view pictures with.

Cheers, Enjoy.

nanu-nanu

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  2. nanu-nanu

nanu-nanu Member

I have noticed that not all videos are "thousands" of kb in size, many videos are less than 1000kb in size.

Also, you might want to set the size of your cache folder to larger than 50mb.

To do this in Firefox:

Tools-->Options-->Advanced-->Network

3. nanu-nanu

nanu-nanu Member

there are videos on other sites that will show you how to tweak Firefox to have it download faster, I recommend this as it makes things go faster.

4. Wizinla

Wizinla Guest

For larger videos, I found that I had to increase the cache setting in my flash player in order to allow it to cache the whole video. For those that don't know how to do that, just right click on the video and when the flash player settings box pops up, click on the file folder tab on the bottom. Then drag the slider to increase how much information the site can store on your computer. Make the number big enough so the whole video can be cached. This setting may be site specific, so you may have to do this when you visit each site for the first time.

5. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Multipost closed...one thread per topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.