1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tsmuxer non-standard resolution mkv to blu-ray conversion

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by scienc30, Jun 2, 2008.

1. odin24

odin24 Regular member

I have a PS3 too, they should work on a standalone though.

2. scienc30

scienc30 Member

Hello, whassup,

The entire file is processing as we speak, (whoops, I mean type) so I should know if it actually works in about 4 days. Just kidding. I have a Core2Duo 2.66, 4GB RAM, and right now it's been running for 16 minutes and says I have 6 hours to go. Good night, I'll let you know what happens.

3. scienc30

scienc30 Member

Thanks for AVCHD-ME link, I'll check it out. 5:37:33 left to go. (just to keep you updated)

4. odin24

odin24 Regular member

If you finish it in the middle of the night, and complete it let me know. I workd the midnight shift so I'll be up until 8-9am tomorrow.

5. scienc30

scienc30 Member

Tomorrow @ 6AM starts my 16 hour shifts until Monday afternoon so I sleep as much as I can if you know what I mean. I'll keep you posted. Hey why not crank it up, it's only processing power + electricity. What could it hurt. It would be nice to have another independent test of the method. Just split up a file into manageable size segments and see what happens with one of them.

6. scienc30

scienc30 Member

Odin24,

My 300MB MKV segment worked fine, but when I try to encode the full 8GB file the video completes fine but the audio stops encoding at 46.4% complete. I split the file into two 4GB files, video completes but audio stops encoding at 95.4% complete with 30 sec. left. I stripped the AC-3 stream from the 4GB file and tried encoding it by itself, same result, stops encoding at 95.4% complete with 30 sec.

Is there a bug with MeGUI?

7. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Not sure, I've never encoded audio with MeGUI.

8. scienc30

scienc30 Member

Can you recommend an alternate to MeGUI that will process AviSynth scripts, MKV and AC-3?

9. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Not really, I am fairly new at this too and my experience is limited to basically all that we have discussed. But I do know there are several other apps that do handle .avs scripts.

If you go here and ask the same question the person who started the thread, Ryu77, a very experienced and knowledgable person when it comes to video processing may be able to help. So far what I have learned I have learned from him.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/639346

One thing though, he does live on the other side of the world (GMT+10) so communication might be kinda slow... the information gained will be well worth it though.

GL, O!

PS, I frequent that thread too. Here's another thread that might be helpful.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/621809

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  10. scienc30

scienc30 Member

Odin24,

I took one of the 8G files and split it in two, so it would fit on 4.7G DVDs. I followed the procedure above and was able to burn both DVDs as AVCHD. They played in the PS3 and audio stays in sync. So I thought I would try it with the full 8G file. No go. I get as far as muxing with TsMuxer and it halts with a "streams out of sync error" at about halfway complete.

I also dicovered that there seems to be inconsistencies in the AC-3 track on 3 of the 6 MKV files I am woking with. TsMuxer won't even recognize some of the AC-3 streams, although they all play fine on my PC.

So while I gave it one heck of a try, basically I quit on these 6 files. Thanks again for all your help.

11. odin24

odin24 Regular member

I have all six working @ 25fps all with AC3 5.1 surround. I agree that 3 of the DL tracks sucked, they were 2.0... episodes 2,3,6. If you have the original DVDs you can rip the AC3 from them, do a PAL speed-up and align them. They all work great, and @ 25 fps you barely notice the difference.

I didn't even try this but you might even be able to line up the DVD AC3 without a speed-up after you do a AssumeFPS on the video.

DUDE, this set does not warrant giving up on. Even at 25 fps is better than nothing. If you need help ripping a DVD AC3 track then converting it let me know, I'll help.

12. scienc30

scienc30 Member

Ripping the AC3 track from the DVD is a great idea. I'll have to see if I can get a hold of those.

I am assuming you burned these to MT2S and did not have to change the borders?

13. odin24

odin24 Regular member

If you are just going for the m2ts (Not Blu-Ray) then you do not need to add the borders, your PS3/TV will do that automatically. If you desire a AVCHD DVD (Blu-Ray format) then you will need to add borders. Since there are no other tracks like subs or DTS then I see not point. However if you have friends with plain-old stand-alone BD players and you'd like to lend them a copy then I suggest you AddBorders and make a Blu-Ray DVD.

When you finally get a hold of the DVDs let me know and I'll help.

14. scienc30

scienc30 Member

I'm stuck again, I've got an H264 mkv 23.976 video stream and an AC3 stream to match. I used mkvmerge to create the 8GB mkv file. I can watch the entire file. When I use tsMuxer to create blu-ray from this file it stops at 54.2% complete with Return code -2. The error states: "Reading buffer overflow. Possible container streams are not synchronized. Please, verify stream fps."

When I watch this it is in sync.

15. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Never came across that one before. Are you taking two streams (vid & aud), running through mkvmerge, then running through tsMuxeR? If so you can omit the mkvmerge process. You can load the two raw media files directly into tsMuxeR.

16. scienc30

scienc30 Member

Hey Odin24,

I did what you suggested, I obtained the 6CH AC3 audio streams from the NTSC source. I used MeGUI to convert the MKV H264 video stream to 23.976. I had to put a small amount of negative delay on the audio stream to get it in sync. The amount of delay is different for each movie, I just had to do a trial-and error until I got it right. So I converted the result to AVCHD Blu-ray using tsMuxer and burned the folders to a DVD9 using ImgBurn. It worked. I did have to compress the video stream to 7GB so it would fit on the DVD9 after conversion to the AVCHD Blu-ray format. I guess I may be able to tell a little bit of difference in resolution from the original stream, but it looks really good and is much better than the standard DVD. Thanks again for all your help.

17. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Good to hear.

18. mudstuff

mudstuff Member

Interesting thread thanks. Is it possible to add borders to a non-standard resolution file without having to re-encode? I remember using an app to patch svcd files, make a dvd menu in tmpgenc, output the necessary files and then patch back before burning.

I appreciate blu is more complex but is there not a way of modifying the properties to fool the player? Re-encoding defeats the point for me, i just want to quckly and simply make the files compliant if possible (panasonic bd30).

19. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Not that I am aware of. It's not necessarily just adding borders, resizing is involved too.

20. socal500

socal500 Member

I might be in the wrong discussion but after reading many threads, this one seems to be the most suited to my situation. I have backed up about 10 of my Blurays to a reduced 1280x720 (2gb size) for playing on my laptop. They all look great but on two of them, Ratatouille and U Don't Mess with the Zohan, the audio progressively gets out of sync. I would say first 1/4 to half is right on or hardly noticeable at half. After this it gets apparent. Not sure why these two movies are doing this. Here are the steps I take.

After ripping to HD..
    1. Load movie file into TSMuxer. I remove all unwanted audio and leave movie and desired audio stream, which I choose AC3 5.1. If Tru HD or HD DTS is the only option I choose downconvert to AC3 5.1. I then choose m2ts muxer run it. The resulting m2ts plays fine and audio is in sync throughout. I create this file for streaming playback to my PS3.

2. I also demux the audio stream alone for later use in the smaller movie that I play on laptop. I have tried demuxing this from the original and the mux m2ts I created in the first step.

3. Now to size down for laptop, I create avsynth script after starting meGUI. I select the muxed m2ts file from step one. I choose resize to 1280 (it automitcally sets other dim to 720). I set type to FILM. I save and it opens back up in meGUI.

4. Under encoded settings I select X264:Unrestricted 2 Pass Fast and set container to mkv.

5. Under tools I choose the bitrate calculator. I select the audio file I demuxed in step 2. I set the desired filesize to 2.3 gb. Save and choose include bitrate settings.

6. I add to cue and let it run.

7. Once complete I use mkvmerge to merge the resulting mkv file and the demuxed audio file.

This has worked great for me on all my movies except these two. Again the muxed m2ts file has perfectly synced video/audio so I have to think the problem is coming in during the encoding but do not understand why it has not done this to my other vids.

Hope I included the pertinent info. Im not asking for someone to just solve this for me. I have tried different variations and get the same results. Since the audio is in sync at the beginning of the video Im not thinking that a frame rate adjustment would fix it. I am open to any suggestions.