1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CapWiz & DVD Xpress Problems

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Landis, May 30, 2004.

1. Landis

Landis Guest

Greetings,

Since I am setting the stage for my querry, this
    e-mail is rather lenghty. Here goes...

Earlier today, I won a Hi-8 camcorder and was greateful. However, since I did not know what that was, I did an online search. While searching for
    Hi-8, this link to your forum was in the search results...

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/85634

where you discuss a problem similar to one I have been having for over six (6) months, and hopefully, one of you may know of a simple solution.

It involves the purchase of "DVD Xpress" from ADS. I want to edit some VHS tapes and transfer them to DVD. Just like with this Hi-8 camcorder
    investigation, I did an online search for capture devices from analog sources that did not require a capture card to be inserted inside my computer. I found "CapWiz" which was bundled with DVD Xpress. So, I bought it since it was under $100.00 for I am not rich. But, it doesn't work and the company, ADS, ignores both me and the BBB in my attempts to get it to work.

Specifically, here is the problem:

When I connected my new ADS DVD Xpress hardware device to my computer (as well as installing Version 1.1 software), I received these two error reports:

============================

1.) One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.

Try reconnecting the device. If Windows still does not recognize it, replace the device.

2.) The software you are installing for this hardware ADS DVD Xpress has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP.

Continuing your installation of this software may impair or destabilize the correct operation of your system either immediately or in the future. Microsoft strongly recommends that you stop this installation now and contact the hardware vendor for software that has passed Windows Logo testing.

And, when I click on the "CapWiz" icon, I receive this message:

CW0005: Unable to detect USB capture device. Please check power light and secure all cable connections.

The light does not come on automatically. I have to unplug and plug it from the USB port over and over and over again. Even after all of that the light may or may not come on.

On the instances when it does, I next click on the "CapWiz" icon again whereupon I receive this updated message:

CW0006: Detected USB Capture Device model is unsupported. Please install a compatible version of CapWiz.

When I go to "Device Manager" on my computer and click on my USB port "properties" I get the message that "There are no drivers connected to this device."

Also, it sometimes happens that my computer automatically disconnects, then reboots and reboots and reboots some more until I unplug the device out of the USB port.

By the way, I already have "VideoStudio 7 SE DVD" installed on my computer which came bundled with DVD MovieFactory 2. Even so, my "VideoStudio 7 SE DVD" software does not initialize unless I uninstall "Capture Wizard" first. Maybe some other of my programs are effected, too, I don't know.

I have gone to ADS's download page at ...

http://www.adstech.com/support/downloads/drivers/drivers.asp?os=Windows&product_id=USBAV701

and downloaded both the "CapWiz 3.0.0.5" as well as the Ulead Video Studio 7 Patch to see if that trick would work. It didn't.

DVD Xpress Purchase Date: 11/07/2003
    My Computer Processor Speed: 1.67 GHz

My computer is a year old and the Operating System is Windows XP.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

May you have many blessings.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well It sounds Like you don"t have either the Drivers for your USB Ports installed or the Drivers for the Capture device aren"t installed Properly or the Device is defective....
    From most of the Things i have heard about this device and most ALL USB devices is that it/They suck and from the 2 different USB devices I have owned It seems to be True...
    I would suggest you take the ADS DVDExpress Back to the Store and get a Refund and go for a PCI capture card as PCI Capture Cards are Much more reliable than USB devices and PCI Devices have a Much Larger Bandwidth so they can transfer More video data at a Faster speed than a USB 2.0 device which Translates into Better Image Quality....
    You can get a Good PCI Capture Device with a High Quality 10Bit decoder Chip for about $30 to $50...If you are Useing it just to capture from your Hi8 Camecorder then you can get away with getting one without a TV Tuner Attached which you can pick up for about $40...Like this One...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ails.asp?EdpNo=763441&Sku=O38-1046&CatId=1425

Or this one with a TV Tuner for $55:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ails.asp?EdpNo=674681&Sku=O38-1034&CatId=1427

USB devices just haven"t been perfected yet ,Well not ones in the Price range that a Regular Person can afford...As long as you have a Fairly Fast PC Like at least a P-4 2.0ghz or Athlon XP 2000+ then you will be able to capture to High Quality Mpeg2 for DVD Creation or you can capture to Any AVI format that you have Codecs for Plus PCI Cards are Compatible will Most all Video Capture Programs were USB devices are not....

Well good Luck...Cheers

PS:If you Have to get an External Capture device then I would suggest getting a Firewire capture Device Like a Hardware DV Encoder Like the Canopus ADVC-50/55/100 which are about $150 to $250 depending on the Model you get as these are about the Only Good external capture devices unless you are willing to spend $400 on a Good USB Hardware Mpeg2 encoder like the Canopus MpegPro, But unless you have a Laptop there is"s really any reason why you should be limiting yourself to a USB device when PCI devices are clearly better in the Under $100 Price range....
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]It"s better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On!!![/small]

Last edited: May 31, 2004
  3. Landis

Landis Guest

Greetings,

And thank you for your timely response. Even though I have never installed any internal hardware on a computer, I will take your advice and buy the card with TV tuner from TigerDirect.com. Hopefully, it comes with "how-to" instructions. I'm nervous.

May you have many blessings.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Trust me ,Any Idiot Can Install a PCI Card, Hell any Idiot should be able to Build a PC from Scratch....I built my First PC with nothing more than the Manual that came with my Motherboard and it was Simple as long as you use a Little common sence...
    Installing a PCI card takes Literally about 20 seconds, and there might not be any instructions with the Card becayse it is such a Simple Thing.....But if you need help just ask....

You shouyld learn a bit about working on your PC because every at least 3 months you should open up your PC and Clean out the Dust Bunnies and dirt that collects on your Fans and Heatsink, Because if you don"t your PC will have a Very short Life span...Cheers

5. iamdb

iamdb Member

I have treid 6 different video capture devices, USB and PCI,(also TV Tunercard with video input) I for one found that the ADS DVDXpress totally out-performed all others! Including the Ospry 100 PCI card. Perhaps it was due to bad luck on my choices of other video input devices. The problem I found was that the Microsoft USB drivers worked best, and the error messages that showed up for you I had also received using a inexpensive digital camera, dumped that and now have conversions that I am very pleased with. Just anohter persons opinion, but a positive one. Very true that anyone can build a computer, and even more so that it should be opened and cleaned every 3 months or so, but do not forget to replace your fans! They do go bad! At the slighest increase of noise floor, mine are replaced. I am using Windows 2000 (found XP to be a bunch of crap in my opinion too many crashes) with a 2gig cpu built over 3 months for under $125.00 for all including 1 gig of memory, watch for sales