1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

saorview box and aerial

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by deiseman, Feb 28, 2012.

1. deiseman

deiseman Member

hello im confused when it comes to getting a saorview box and aerial firstly about the box what is the best box to get for the small amount of channels and what kinda aerial will survice because the place i will be getting it for is or has a aerial on it from nthell not the digital boxes but the little box attached to wall in my parents house that type of aerial would that work?if not where would i get an aerial thanks

2. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Firstly there are a few boxs, for me, a Combo box is best, this is a Sat and DTT box, depending where you are in the country you may or may not need an aeriel outdoors, a small powered aerial will do, I suggest you look st soarview.ie for info, but if you have a sat dish I would go for the combo boxs, they give sat and DTT soarview all in one

EDIT: Look at tvtrade.ie also, the have boxs there

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  3. cactikid

cactikid Active member

i have a triax hd combo i got from power city around 150 euro,7 day epg on the dtt side but only now and next on the sat side which is a pain if you want to set up recordings in advance
    mick it is saorview, a before o lol.

4. deiseman

deiseman Member

so what kinda aerial would i use indooors would or could it be one of those rabbit ears and haveing a combo would i need a sat and a aerial ?thanks,and what will the picture be like with nio aerial

5. jondalor

jondalor Regular member

the need for an aerial depends on where you live, are you able to receive rte analouge with what you have? if so youre ok, if notyou need some sort of aerial. as suggested tvtrade is youre best bet, note there is a difference between the cheaper dtt boxes and the soarview ones, ie no teletext on rte hd and possible future problems with red button features. a wideband aerial (black tip) will sort you out almost everywhere except sligo (i think vhf still used there)

6. deiseman

deiseman Member

i live in the seaside in the southeast
    i live in the seasside in the southeast i have rabbit ears at the moment but the reception is terrible ,will the box work without an aerial

7. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

As been said above, if you can get analogue chans, then you prob wont need an outdoor aerial, get a small powered one which boost the signal/reception (Powercity, DID, EBAY etc), but check out www.saorview.ie/ as you were advised for more info on it. Up to you which box ya go for, a combo box is the best of both, connect it to a sat dish and you will get all the Free sat chans including BBC, ITV, UTV, C4 and the DTT (saorview) side will pull in RTE's, TV3's etc etc some in HD quality also, if teletext is a selling point (who uses it now a days, sorry thats just me) then get a saorview approved box, but the combi is the way to go, such as the Triax cactikid mentions or see what Tv Trade have, you will get all the better chans and no bills.

8. cactikid

cactikid Active member

i forgot to mention some sat installers fit a sat dish and aerial for dtt which gives you both feeds ready for the combo,i have my big aerial in the attic from years ago with mpeg 2 boxes.

9. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

if yer getting analogue, even if its a bit poor reception, an internal powered aerial should bring em in

10. jackoooh

jackoooh Regular member

Hi guys when does analogue disappear from our lives?theres goin to be some fun trying
    to tell the old folks they will have to upgrade.

11. cactikid

cactikid Active member

october 2012 its all on the saorview page.

12. jackoooh

jackoooh Regular member

Thanks cactkid.

13. deiseman

deiseman Member

what kinda indoor powered aerial do u mean do uhave a link or a name of one i can buy ?would this box be ok Ferguson Ariva 120 Combo and Ferguson Ariva T65? would they work with the indoor powered aerial and do they need to have software put in them,thanks for all ue help too.i have been using a One For All Indoor Amplified TV Aerial just putting it into the back of the tv will that work with the boxes i mentioned ?is that what u mean ?but the recption is terrible with it just in the tv

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  14. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

the ferguson is a good box by all accounts, you will need to check the soarview site to see what type you will need, but generally, a good indoor aerial will do, now if your using one already, then you may need an external aerial, but I suggest you check first on the site and also speak to someone in your local reatailers such as a DID etc and ask about the correct aerials they have, the boxs come with software on them and play from the box, TVtrade may even sort the chans for you for a small fee, where they are all ready in order, the only thing you will have to do is scan the DTT chans, there will be a manual to show you how.

15. lenny123

lenny123 Regular member

The great thing about the Ferguson Ariva 120 Combo is by flashing patched firmware you can run CCcam ;-), I got mine here & they will install patched firmware if you want,...hya MICKAH hows life

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  16. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Hows the form lenny, yeah the combo boxs are excellent, especially for the irish punters, even without the ccam, all the main chans (rte's, Tv3 etc) and via sat the others, but if the box comes with ccam loaded, thats excellent, how easy is it to load the details? via USB? Manual?

17. lenny123

lenny123 Regular member

flashing is via usb memory stick or null modem cable, patched firmware is identical to official except it has a hidden CCcam menu where you add your line info with the remote...I still use the dreambox 800 for all the satellite channels but I have a cheap €7 usb DTT tuner connected at the rear of the 800 which brings in the saorview channels.

18. cactikid

cactikid Active member

whats the name of your cheap dtt tuner as others may want one,does it give you rte2hd lenny?

19. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

seen em on satboxes .com small dongle

20. lenny123

lenny123 Regular member

You can pick them up a lot cheaper on ebay any dreamelite BH phoenix image ver 133 & above comes with a USB tuner setup menu & a collection of drivers, most cheap tuners like the one in the link above are based on the Afatech 9015 chipset & these work great on the dreambox800 & they pick up any HD channels including RTE2 HD, the supplied mini aerial is no use unless you are in a very strong signal area & you will need a mini coax cable to connect it to a bigger rooftop/attic aerial but you could make one yourself.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012