1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying DVD videos

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bullet21, Nov 26, 2004.

1. bullet21

bullet21 Member

I'm new to this so i need help with the basics. Is it possible to copy from on dvd straight to another without doing it on the fly, cos only my writer can actually read dvd's. my other cd drive can't. How do i go about burning a dvd movie then, or do i have to some how put it on mym hard drive first?

2. zippyd

zippyd Active member

I'll give you a bit of study material to read. The thread that I'm referring you to covers basically any beginner problem that you may encounter.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/105641

Since you only have one dvd drive, you will have to take out your source movie from the drive and then insert your blank.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi bullet21, welcome to aD,

Let's try to answer the question, "Why do I have to backup to my Hard Drive (HD) ?"

Think of it like you're making a Peanut butter and Jelly sandwich. Everything you need is in one place, the cupboard. All your DVD files are in one place, the original DVD.

You need a place to put all your ingredients, the Bread, Peanut butter and the Jelly - so that you can assemble them into a sandwich, you use the kitchen table. You need a place to put all the *IFO, *BUP and *VOB files you are taking from the original DVD, you need to assemble them into a VIDEO_TS folder OR you need to put them all together into an *ISO image, you need a place to work, you need the HD.

You assemble your sandwich putting your Peanut butter and your Jelly into two pieces of bread. When you are finished you can one of two things. First, you can leave all the "Fixens" on then table to make another sandwich sometime later OR, you can put it all away and have your table clear again. In DVD backup, we needed the HD to lay out all the IFO, BUP and VOB files and then to assemble them into a folder called your VIDEO_TS folder OR to put them all together onto an ISO image. When you are finished you can do one of two things. First, we could leave them on the HD to make another backup DVD later OR we can have them in a temporary folder to be deleted and have our HD space clear again.

In a nutshell, you have to write the files you're working with to your HD. The work you're doing cannot be done in "cyber-space."

So, back to our original question - If you want to do a backup of an original DVD you'll have to backup your DVD to your HD in order to work on it to make your backup disc.

You can copy a backup copy (copy a copy) "on the fly" (without involving your HD) because it's already decrypted and processed to fit on a single disc.

Now that you know why, you can forget about that nasty old question and you can follow the bread crumbs back through the forest till you arrive safe and sound back in your own little bed. :)

Back you go to your "study thread" almost every other question you have will be answered there -

Cheers,

Pete

4. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Nice analogy Pete. I forgot about that one.

Looks like another bookmark for my AD help links folder. :)