1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't Convert Those Pesky DRM .wma files?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Hulkmania, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Hulkmania

Hulkmania Member

I have figured out a quick and efficent way to do just that! It's so simple, but i havent been able to find any way of achieving this. Only method i have been able to find is the one found here:

http://www.zittware.com/Products/CDMaster32/Tutorials/CopyProtected_WMA_to_MP3.html

That requires the burning of a CD, and who has time for that!? Not me! All you need is:

Latest version of nero (old ones probably work too)
    Windows Media Player 10

With nero, make an image drive (via Start -> Programs-> Nero -> Nero Ultra Edition -> Nero ImageDrive) click the ticks for image drive, (i had to use 2 because one wouldnt appear in explorer)

Now using nero, make an new audio compilation. Drag the wma's you wanna burn into the window.

Click the burn button and save the image to where ever you want.

Now open the nero image drive, click the eject button if u have an old image loaded and then chose the image you have just made with nero.

Using WMP 10 rip the image into .mp3. To set the ripping options go to Tools, then options the Rip Music. Chose mp3 and the quality you would like to rip at. Click ok then Rip Music.

Thats it, simple as can be! It took me a couple hours to figure out a fix for this, as i have never downloaded DRM files before. I found that site i posted earlier in the tutorial, decided i didnt wanna waste my time burning a CD and figured out this neat little trick. Thanks for your time, and happy ripping.

2. dredaz3

dredaz3 Member

Hulkmania i did everything you told me i made the image then when i try to rip it in wmp10 it doesnt recognize it. when i go to options and devices i see it and i see it in windows explorer what am i missing? your help is very appreiciated
    Andre

3. Hulkmania

Hulkmania Member

When you try to open it in WMP10, did you try opening it as you would a CD? In other words, try treating the loaded nero image like a CD you have just inserted into your CDROM. The image drive appears in My Computer, try right clicking on the image drive with your image loaded and see if there is an option to que it in WMP10. From there you should be able to rip it. Let me know.

4. punx777

punx777 Regular member

why not just burn the cd, and rip it. i think thats much more simpler, with blank cds being 5-10 cents(at least for me)

5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Technically, thats exactly what there doing punx777.

6. MNcordia

MNcordia Member

every time i try to use nero(6.3.0.2) and protected music, it gives me a message that basically says: this is protected and you can't burn it.

7. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Meaning that instead of burn the image to a CD-R/RW you simply save the image to your hard drive. Its obviously a glich in Nero. It must check to see if the files are protected before burning them to a disc but not before making the image (the image is made first to make sure all the data will fit on the CD). Its a logical error.

The only way to use a disc image save to a HDD is via software emulation (e.g. the Virtual CD/DVD-Rom drive).

Is everyone on the same page now?
    Ced

8. dredaz3

dredaz3 Member

i went into my computer and right clicked. it doesnt say anything about the wmp10. when i have a real disc it says audio cd in my computer but with the nero image it just says my disc. I tried to play it and when it started playing i clicked on the rip tab in wmp10 and it says insert audio cd so i need something that will make it recognize the image as a audio cd.

Andre

9. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Have you tried using a differnt app to rip from the image like: dBpowerAMP or EAC?

10. dredaz3

dredaz3 Member

yep just tried them no luck

11. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Unless Hulkmania has a remedy I don't know what to say. I have had great success doing such things with [bold]Alcohol 120%[/bold]. It sounds as if your Virtual drive isn't configured just right. I will only sugest onw more app. [bold]IsoBuster[/bold].

Link:
    http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/

Regards,
    Ced

12. dredaz3

dredaz3 Member

Nope no luck thanks for all your help diabolos. You did say that you found sucess using alcohol 120 could you explain how you use the prog thanks

Andre

13. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Alcohol 120%:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/alcohol120.cfm

Whenever I wanted to do anything involving vitual drives and/or images I have used this app. I have never had any problems with it. The virtual drives it creates work like there suppose to. Disc images seem to be physically in a CD/DVD-ROM drive to the OS. In other words I can read and rip using any program I want. 120% also lets you burn discs from a variety of image types for many media purposes.

Ced

14. dredaz3

dredaz3 Member

Im going to have to mess around with the program a little bit. Thanks for all your help

Andre

15. Hulkmania

Hulkmania Member

Sorry for delay on replies, dont check my mail daily. When you make your image, is it an audio compilation? I'm not sure what is causing the hangup with WMP10 not recognizing your image. I used nero 6.6.0.6. I havent done this for over two months, and when i discovered it, i posted my exact steps here. I downloaded some music from a pay site...and winamp wouldnt play the .wma files with my plug-in, because plug-in only recognizes mp3's. I didnt wanna waste a blank CD, and i found this method much quicker than burning a CD and ripping it. Is there anyone who has had sucess using this method, other than myself?

16. dredaz3

dredaz3 Member

Are you creating it in Burning Rom?

17. lukemst3k

lukemst3k Guest

is there any way to convert files from Napster that have been downloaded but not purchased?

18. backswift

backswift Regular member

I bought a music cd that lets you burn the drm files on a reg. music cd with no problems.

19. Jesse12

Jesse12 Member

I gave it a try! I was able to burn the image as an Audio file to cd. The cd plays in other computers, of course you need to download the right. Iam also able to play the image thru WMP but I am not able to see the songs, so I cant rip them. Any suggestions.

20. diabolos

diabolos Guest