1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protected Music Burning

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Ryawhtny4, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Ryawhtny4

Ryawhtny4 Member

Does anyone know how I can burn protected music?
    when I go to burn it, Roxio easy cd creator 5, it says i do not have burning rights to the music. Does anyone know how I could take the protection off or get around it to burn?

2. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

How to rip copy protected audio CDs ...

As this is a frequently asked question, I make this thread sticky and sum up information from other threads here. If you have to add something, feel free to do so.

Basically there are 2 copy protection mechanisms for audio CDs:

1. Manipulated table of content (TOC)
    Result: Software that uses the TOC to find content on a CD instead of scanning the CD (like native Windows, most software players), can't find the audio tracks or confuses them with data tracks.

2. Manipulated error detection/recovery information
    Audio CDs contain 2 layers of error detection/recovery data (C1 + C2, comparable to redundant CRC checksums). If a CD is slightly damaged (-> light scratches), the audio data returned by the drive is still perfect as C1+C2 information is used to correct errors. On worse damages the original audio data can't be restored anymore, the drive still 'knows' which samples are wrong and tries to interpolate them to make the errors less audible. Generally standalone CD players are designed to do a better job on this than PC drives. Copy protections that introduce C1/C2 errors resulting in interpolation, intentionally try to do this in a way that standalone players' interpolation makes the errors inaudible, while PC drives fail, resulting in audible clicks/pops.

How to extract audio from protected CDs:

There are 2 ways:

1. Using standalone equipment

There are several ways depending on the available equimpent:
    - standalone CD player -> standalone recorder
    - standalone CD player -> digital connection -> soundcard -> PC recording/editing software
    - standalone CD player -> analog connection -> souncard -> PC recording/editing software

2. Using PC equipment

These are the steps that are important:

2.0. Shift button
    When inserting a copy protected CD press the shift button to disable autostart. Otherwise you might get software you don't want.

2.1. The Drive
    There are some combinations of drive and copy protection that will never work, no matter what software you use. Before getting desperate, try different drives and/or ask in formus like this about your drives. Trying different firmware versions *might* help in some cases.

2.2. How to recognise the audio content on the CD
    To be able to extract audio data, you must use software that works arround the manipulated TOC. There are several possibilities. Remember: With some drives you will just have no luck, so you don't have to try every possibility with each drive. The following software has been reported to help against TOC manipulation:
    - A replacement for Win's native CD file system driver CDFS.VXD
    - AnyDVD
    - CloneCD (next step (ripping) integrated), probably other similar programs
    - Exact Audio Copy (EAC) (ripping integrated), Version 0.95 pre-beta3 and earlier
    - Audiograbber (ripping integrated)
    - Plextools (only with Plextor drives - ripping integrated)
    - Easy CD-DA (ripping integrated) - in some cases this software makes clicks caused by CDS disappear that are there with other software.
    - Nero Burning Rom (Direct copy to CD-R; details here: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/83180 )
    - There's a CD manipulation trick reffered to as post-it or marker trick to cover a 2nd session data track on the CD and make it unreadable (see links).

2.3. The software used to read the audio data (and save them to HDD)
    - If one of the 1st two possibilities works, and the copy protection consists of TOC manipulation only, any audio extraction software can be used.
    - If creating an image with CloneCD (or similar software) worked, an image manipulation software like CDMage can be used to extract the audio from the image.
    - The 3 audio extraction programs mentioned at 2.2. have special options to handle manipulated TOC. With EAC it works like this:
    --- Get Exact audio copy 0.95 prebeta 3 from here: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_software/cd-da_extractors/index2.cfm - in newer versions some TOC manipulation options have been removed.
    --- Install EAC using e.g. this guide: http://users.pandora.be/satcp/cd2mp3-en.htm
    --- EAC -> EAC options -> Tools -> 'Activate beginner mode...' disabled
    --- Action -> TOC alterations -> try different commands, e.g. 'Detect TOC manually', 'Retrieve native TOC'
    --- Trying both - Inserting the CD after EAC is started and vice versa - can help.

2.4. What to do with CDs with altered error recovery data
    The signs for such a CD are these:
    - Even if following 2.0-2.3 resulted in successfully extracted audio files, these files contain audible errors like clicks, pops or gaps of silence.
    - Extraction is noticably slower than of ordinary CDs, especially in EAC secure mode, C2 activated (if drive supports it)
    To get better results this might help:
    - Lower extraction speed, if not accessible with the extraction software you use, with CDBremse or Nero Drivespeed
    - Try burst mode (EAC)
    - Try different drives
    - Extract with different drives, do a WAV comparison (EAC -> Tools) or a wave substraction using a wave editor. Due to different interpolation algorithms, you'll find positions with interpolated samples by this. Listen closely to these positions, if necessary use a wave editor's click/glitch removal (time consuming).
    - One of the methods using a standalone CD player might give better results.

http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/cactusdatashield.cfm (article by cd-rw.org about CDS)
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/47122
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/47666
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/51009
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/27915 (threads about copy protected CDs)
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/34124 (Post-It/Marker trick)
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/60316 (about EAC 0.95pb4 missing TOC features)

3. Ryawhtny4

Ryawhtny4 Member

The music is downloaded, napster, not from protected cds

4. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

musicmatch or windows media player both should work then

5. Sir-Age

Sir-Age Regular member

Nero wouldn't burn it for me so i used
    dBpowerAMP CD Writer
    and it worked great!

6. Ryawhtny4

Ryawhtny4 Member

With dBpowerAMP I get thi error

The file 'D:\My Documents\My Music\[bold](MY AUDIO FILE)[/bold].wma' is encrypted which dMC is not able to decode.

7. Ryawhtny4

Ryawhtny4 Member

I spent 6+ hours trying to do this

I've gone through 8 different cd burners and 5 different conversion tools...

NOTHING...Screewwwww Microsoft's DRM!!!

8. puternerd

puternerd Member

This was on Gizmodo yesterday, works great I have tried it.

Practical how to:
    (credit goes to warlock1711 of club.cdfreaks.com for discovering this loophole)

0. Download and install Napster, sign up for 14 day free trial.

1. Download and install Winamp

2. Download and install the Winamp Plug-in Output Stacker

3. Open Winamp Options->Plug-ins->Output->Dietmar's Output Stacker->Configure
    a. Add out_ds.dll from Winamp/Plug-ins folder
    b. Add out_disk.dll from Winamp/Plug-ins folder
    c. Select out_disk.dll in the Output Stacker->Configure
    d. Set the output directory and output file mode to Force WAV file
    e. Exit preferences

4. Load downloaded Napster protected WMAs into your Winamp playlist

5. Press play and each file will be converted to WAV as it plays

6. Burn WAVs to CD with your favorite burning program

9. tmfloria

tmfloria Active member

or use tunebite if you really need to convert to MP3 or OGG files

10. Ryawhtny4

Ryawhtny4 Member

this is pretty sad...i cant even find the plugin
    can anyone send me a link to it, i looked over the winamp plugin page and couldnt find anything with that name

11. puternerd

puternerd Member

It looks like they removed it. I'm betting at the request of Napster. Might not be too long before they alter the DRM on the downloadable songs. You might try searching the net for output_stacker.exe it should be about 41k in size.

12. Ryawhtny4

Ryawhtny4 Member

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!
    Tunebite works very good...
    The only problem is that it takes longer, and with 44+ hours of music it's going to take almost 2 days to record

Thats ok though...ill just leave my laptop on

THANK YOU!

13. Eugenides

Eugenides Guest

Hey-

Check out this great site that is giving away totally FREE iPods!

I've joined and I think you should as well.

It's a completely legitimate offer, and this company has already given away $4 million in FREE stuff!

All you have to do is join, complete an online offer, and refer friends to do the same. That's it!

Here is my referral link. To help me get my iPod, click this exact link to join, or copy and paste it into a browser:
    http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15078453

14. Sir-Age

Sir-Age Regular member

@ Eugenides

Isn't this sort of message what gets people banned?

15. Sir-Age

Sir-Age Regular member

@Eugenides

Isn't this sort of message what gets people banned?

(sry double post, please delete)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  16. Sir-Age

Sir-Age Regular member

Is it only WMA that has protection from WMA -> wav/mp3 and burning or does mp3 have this sort of protection as well?

17. Ryawhtny4

Ryawhtny4 Member

I'm not sure, I think it's possible though

18. stumbo

stumbo Member

I used Virtuosa 5 to convert WMA --> mp3, worked great for me. I loaded the mp3's on my ipod so I'm sure you could burn a disk without much trouble.

19. Ryawhtny4

Ryawhtny4 Member

After 44 hours of using Tunebite I'm FINALLY done
    Thanks again, worked great

20. diabolos

diabolos Guest

A free app that does what [bold]Tunebite[/bold] does and allot more, for free, is called [bold]Jet Audio Basic[/bold].

Link to my guide:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/125931

Also, Mp3s have no type of DRM protection. Thats why noone in the legal music download buz. uses it!

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2005