1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WMA Music Files Purchased from Download Sites

Discussion in 'Audio' started by toddcons, Apr 11, 2005.

1. toddcons

toddcons Member

Aloha,

I am new to the music downloading process and have a few questions regarding WMA files that I am paying for and downloading from the internet. I want to give some background info first to show the steps I have taken:

I just finished transferring 600 MP3 songs onto my new MP4 player which plays the following formats: MP3(MPEG1 Layer 2, Layer 3), WAV(LPCM, ADPCM) and WMA(WMA-9 Layer 2a) and all 600 MP3's play fine with no problem. I created these files from my own music CD's.

So I decided to go onto Buy.com and Musicmatch to pay for and download some songs, which are all WMA files.(Which my MP4 player is supposed to play). When I download the songs onto my computer in "MY MUSIC" folder and play them on Musicmatch Jukebox, everything is fine.

The problem is when I transfer them to the MP4 player, none of them will play. The recorder trys to read it and then just skips to the next song. So what I tried to do next is convert them to MP3 files using a program called "One Click Audio Converter". When I go to do this, I get an error and am unable to convert.

Is the problem that the songs that I am purchasing from these sites have a protection on them that prevents me from doing what I would like to do? Or is it something else that I am missing. Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.

Aloha,

Todd Constantino

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

3. toddcons

toddcons Member

Thanks for the info Ced, is that the reason they won't play on my MP4 player as well? Is it because once they are transferred off my computer, they won't play? Just wanted to clarify?

Aloha,

Todd

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Ur welcome,

Yes, unless the your MP4 player has a license from Microsoft that allows it to play protected files they won't play. This license would be purchased by the company that makes your MP4 player and it would be implemented in the players ROM/Firmware.

Ced