1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doesn't anyone use the guides before posting "how-to" questions?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cryptdigr, Mar 4, 2004.

1. cryptdigr

cryptdigr Guest

Hey Grogey,

My brother is 34 and just received his Master's Degree in Theology. I have to admit that he surprised not only myself, but many around him with this accomplishment. Determination got him there and determination keeps him going. If you'd like to talk further then feel free to contact me.
    Take it Easy :)

2. BenDover

BenDover Member

I second your sentiments cryptdigr. Here I am a newbie looking for simple infomation that I'm sure I'll find out is real basic. It would be easier just to post a question and wait for someone to answer me, but here I am in the "guides" thread first to search for my answer before bothering the people I'll need later on as I get better at DVD burning. If only everyone would do the same these boards would be much more efficent than they already are. The vets would be able to spend more time answering legitimate questions rather than answering the same questions over and over.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that participates in this forum ahead of time! I have seen in my short time here that there is all kinds of information to be had! Keep up the good work everyone!

Okay I'm off to read some guides! You'll be hearing from me shortly with my questions I'm sure. I'll try to make mine original questions too if I can.

Peace,

BenDover

3. cryptdigr

cryptdigr Guest

Yeah, the guides are THE reason I first started using this forum. Everything else I've learned including some of the people I have talked to are just bonuses of a GREAT forum ;) However, the TMPGenc guide might be a bit better if there were some "tweaking" guide to help with the numerous fine tuning available within the program itself. All in all, AD is the place to be!

Ciao!

4. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

i agree... thanks to everyone thats lent me a hand when i needed it!!!

this place and doom9.org got me into teh dvd backup scene and eventually the xbox mod scene..

like everyone else said, just read and read and read some more and hopefully what your reading doesn't contradict itself...

at times though it seems there are too many guides and which one do you use becomes an even bigger question...

so good luck! post ?s and we'll get ya going! :)

oh yea, check out my dvd and xbox guides..

peace
    seamonkey420
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]'knowledge is power, spread the power'
    -Athlon XP 2600+, 1GBMB DDR-SDRAM,HP DVD200i DVD+R/+RW, 100GB and 80GB WDSE HD
    -XBOX w/Matrix mod chip and 60GB HDD
    http://www.geocities.com/daseamonkey420 or
    http://www.geocities.com/seamonkeyguides[/small]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2004
  5. jimwat1

jimwat1 Member

I must say I agree with cryptdigr as regards performing proper research before asking questions. I just registered today but have been reading the guides for a number days. In common with most newbies I am perhaps a bit confused by the wide range of tools available. Is there somewhere an "unbiased comparison" of these.
    If one has a question regarding a specific guide or guides what is the best way to post this ??

:)

6. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Probably to pick a forum room most suitable for that guide and state the topic like "Problem with guide 'DVD to DVDR with DVD Shrink'" or something. If you have an actual suggestion to improve a guide or to fix a specific bug in a guide, use the feedback feature (under "About us" tab).

7. jimwat1

jimwat1 Member

Thanx dRd.

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Silly me, I had this thought, (I have so few now a-days it was really very special) wouldn't it be great if instead of that money generating "Flashing Ad sign" at the top of each page, the sign would read instead, "HAVE YOU READ A GUIDE?". How good would that be in that "Neon Pink" color we all know and love?

But then of course, on the other hand, - - - I have different fingers - -
    (Far too much Nitrogen in that tank of air - - )

Cheers,

To know him isn’t necessarily a good enough reason to love him - - -

Last edited: May 17, 2004
  9. jarradb

jarradb Member

Hi I would like to know how to burn dvds properly. I put the disc in and copy through nero and then back onto a blank disc. However when its finished it just doesnt work. All the files are on the new disk but the dvd title page doesnt come up and I cant choose the scenes and stuff when i try and watch it.

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there jarradb and Welcome to our little Club -

Yea, I guess you just found out things aren't as simple as you thought - but then again we all were in your shoes when we first started :D)

I have just the place for you to go to learn about backing up DVD's.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/79846

This is just a single thread loaded, and I mean loaded with tons of information about the proper media that you should be using (and if you think THAT isn’t important, you’ll wind up paying a costly lesson.), tips and even super duper guides and downloads that will save you time and money -

In the 12 pages of this thread you’ll find an answer to almost all of your questions and then some -

Grab a cup of coffee and read a while, be sure a take notes and I’ll bet you’ll be burning DVD’s in no time at all -

If ya get stuck with something, give a yell, we’ll be glad to let ya know where you slipped up -

Cheers,

Pete

11. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

apparently jarradb didn't read this thread.

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

sometimes ya feel silly posting BUT, somebody will get some use out of it :p)

"P"

13. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

wassup.. mods, let me know if you want to remove my link or not..
    but i have my classic site on doing dvd backups 4 ways..
    1. nero 6 and recode 2
    2. ifo editor and splitting
    3. dvd2one
    4. rempeg/manual transcoding

http://www.geocities.com/seamonkeyguides

just did a total layout revamp...

peace
    and happy backing up.!
    seamonkey

14. bigorange

bigorange Active member

seamonkey, am i allowed to say love your "matrix model"? oops, too late
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  15. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

hehe... thanks!
    i aim to please.. haha..
    peace
    seamonkey420

16. phsyc22

phsyc22 Guest

is n e one in here?

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

It's a good place for my guide -

a ScubaPete story guide to custom edit & backup your favorite DVD

Well Ok then, let’s just sit down and get comfy in front of the Big screen TV cause in just a minute or so the “Uncle ScubaPete Show” will be coming on the air –
    - CLICK –
    ”Brought to you this evening by AfterDawn, the “Fat chewing” champion’s location of choice - and under threats by a crazed spear waving maniac, we are forced to present Mr. Brain-Dead, direct from his extend stay at the Happy Hills Institute of the Mentally Disabled and Disturbed Souls, and here he’ll be until it’s been discovered that he’s escaped yet again from that fine facility - and here he is, live and unfortunately still disturbed, it’s Uncle ScubaPete - - - - “

Ooohhh Boy, Ooohhh Boy, am I excited ! I couldn't wait to see you !

And what’s so great it could get Old ScubaPete (the original couch potato) excited ?

FREE STUFF that’s what, the new FREE DVD Shrink version 3.2 AND DVD Decrypter !
    We now we can go from start to finish with just 2 programs (checkbook not necessary) and they are DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter -

Come on and get your FREE DVD Shrink, right here ~ ~>
    http://www.dvdshrink.org/

Now, over here in isle 5, get your FREE DVD Decrypter here ~ ~>
    http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

"How good is it ?" you ask ?It's so good that you might want to
    PRINT IT OUT NOW !
    (Easier to follow, don't you know ? :)

NOW, IS EVERYBODY READY ???

GOOD -

First, you should create a folder for your DVD backup before hand. This is the place on your HD where DVD Shrink will work on your movie files and DVD Decrypter can pick them up there to burn'em to disc. Try to put it someplace where you won't forget it - i.e. C:\All DVD work\ Sleeping Beauty Kills Bill, needs Anger Management

Now open up DVD Decrypter - and under "Mode", select "ISO" then "Write" - under "Source" you may leave that blank as DVD Decrypter will find the location that DVD Shrink put your ISO image in all by itself. Select your "Destination" as your Burner - and make sure that the box that says "Verify" is un-ticked (This last one will cut down on false DVD Decrypter errors). Do that now. OK, feel free to close DVD Decrypter now because when DVD Shrink is finished it will open DVD Decrypter by itself.

Let’s go get one of your favorite DVD’s and make a copy of it so should something unforeseen happen, like a waterspout hit the Mojave Desert and claim the original you’ll have a backup of it.

Now you can place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner's drive (If you have two drives). If you only have the one drive, put your original in that drive now. When the time comes for you to put in your blank in either the drive door will open OR a message will appear. As for your DVD media, PLEASE USE; TDK, Ritek G04, "Branded" RiData, Verbatim "DataLife", Verbatim DataLife "Plus", Phillips, Sony , media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO", Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets. Other media could cause unnecessary errors. Only the very best media should be used for DVD Video backups. Remember that RW discs will probably not play in older standalone players. But I suggest that you use your RW now until you get comfortable with the backup process. That way we won't be creating any "Coasters" during our trial period :) Now is defiantly not the time to put your, "Look how much money I saved on these." cheap stuff in.. Using quality media plays a major role in successful DVD burning. Certain "Name Brands" should not be trusted. If you're not sure, ask here before you buy.

Now, into DVD Shrink we go, let's "click" "Edit", then "click" "Preferences" on this page we're going to select "DVD Target Size" as "Custom" and set the size between "4300MB" to "4360". - We do this to make sure that we don't burn to the very edge of the disc. When using poorer quality disc we may have to go lower still as the dye toward the edge many times is uneven or absent. Then, under the "File I/O" tab "UN-tick" "Enable burning with Nero" then "click" "OK". Let's do that now !

Now let's burn a DVD, OK ? Kweel ! Alright then, let's open DVD Shrink and "click' "Open Disk". We'll have to wait anywhere from 30-seconds to a minute for DVD Shrink to analyze (rip) your DVD. If you wish, we can edit your movie now. To trim some unnecessary items from your movie, you can "un-tick" some extra audio you don't want like the foreign audio streams, i.e. Klingon, Solarian Cluster Mush OR Eastern Himalayan Yak language selections or the Director's comments (also known as Outer Mongolian). This will result in your DVD requiring less compression and therefore providing you with a better quality picture.
    If you would like, as I do, to get rid of all the extras and trailers thus compressing your movie as little as possible (giving you the very best quality picture), click "Re-author" then, under "Main Movie" select "Title 1" If there are additional choices, look at the time and select the title with the longest time as that is usually the main attraction. "Click" and drag the "Title 1" from the right-hand side of the screen to the left-hand side, under the "DVD Structure" (DVD) and release it there. Additional editing may be done by using the "Start" \ "Finish" controls to the right of the "DVD Compilation" heading on the left-hand side of the Re-author window. Bingo, Bango, you are done editing, giving you the least compression (best quality), backup possible. Now select "Backup" to get ready to finish.

NOTE:
    If you want a "Full backup", that's everything on the original disc on your backup. We need to be sure that the "Full Disc" icon is depressed. Don't try to cheer it up and don't worry, it likes being "depressed". There's no problem in doing a "Full backup" as long as we don't see any "Red" on the size bar at the top of your window. If you should see some "Red" on the size bar, simply "Un-tick" any foreign languages, i.e. Klingon, Solarian Mush-mouth, Director's comments or DTS sound boxes until the "Red" disappears. Actually you can "Un-tick" those things anyway, it'll lessen the compression on your backup. (a good thing :) With no "Red" visible on the size bar we just let the "Automatic" (Default) settings alone.

Since we are editing our DVD, DO NOT TOUCH THE "FULL DISC" BUTTON.
    Clicking the "Full Disc" button will erase our editing work and reset DVD Shrink to do a full backup.
    It's now time to select Backup". Take just a second and under "Target Device" go to "Select backup target " once there, select "ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter". Now, under "Quality Settings", if it's SPEED you're after, "un-tick" the box which says, "Perform deep analysis" and "un-tick" the box for "Compress the video with high quality adaptive error compensation". This will give you an acceptable DVD backup.
    If it's QUALITY you're after and have some extra time to spend, "tick" Perform deep analysis before backup to improve quality" AND "tick" "Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation." There you may adjust quality enhancements. Practicing with the settings can produce even better end products. For a no-frills DVD's like "There's something about Mary" I like Extra Smooth BUT for DVD's with a lot of special effects, I use the Extra Sharp setting. That's for me, you'll have to decide what you like :) If all the boxes are "grayed out" that's OK, it means your DVD is small enough that little will be lost from the original. Good, now click "OK." Finally, where it says "Select target image file", browse till you find your created folder for your backup, C:\All DVD Work\Sleeping Beauty Kills Bill, needs Anger Management and click "Save". That's it ! Click "OK" and enjoy a peaceful cup of tea. DVD Shrink will work it's little heart out, obeying your commands and putting a copy of your work on your HD while instructing DVD Decrypter to toast your DVD to your waiting disc to a rich, golden "Done"..
    - Believe it or not, that was as hard as it ever gets -
    We'll not have to mess with our settings again :)

I KNOW you won't go anywhere near that PC while it's working cause we don't want to mess up the burn this late in the game do we ?

Tell me now, . . . .

Wasn't that finer than frog hair ?

Slicker than a slimy, slithery, Southern, three-toed Sloth ?

Yep, ya see, . . . . I thought you'd say that - .
    Me and thee, what a team :-D)

Thank you for choosing a ScubaPete Guide.

(Remember, when you want a guide with a "out of sight, out of his mind" personality, shop ScubaPete :p)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2004
  18. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hi all. :)

Pete, I just wanted to say ... I luuuuuv your guides. :D

They are both funny and informative, which is very rare. ;)

I hope everyone appreciate the time and effort it takes to write them.

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Thanks much Mr. Senior ddlooping -

We tries ta makes it interesting, Yes Sir Boy, Boy, it's what we do :)

"P" :p)

Did I say congrats ? I meant too - "CONGRATS !"

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
  20. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Thanks for the congrats. :)