1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my nero keeps saying PMA update failure

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by james111, Jul 1, 2005.

1. james111

james111 Regular member

im using nero 6 to burn im using ridate dvd whitch the guy at best buy said it was a good company, i have a LG dvd burner. every time i burn something that message appears, i treid using the thred to fix it but my windows is ME so it didnt work so what do i do to fix it?

2. marcus23

marcus23 Regular member

Most of the PMA failures are media related. Another longshot could be to update your chipset drivers for your motherboard.

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

Last edited: Jul 2, 2005
  4. james111

james111 Regular member

5. james111

james111 Regular member

i did that update but it still does the PMA update failure

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

ok, so you have now got the very latest edition of nero! good.

[bold] i just read another thread and it says clean your hard drive up! empty temp folders defragment your hard drive etc..[/bold]

but as said for the most part its media used! thats what i am reading on search

firmware is a little file you get from the makers website of your drive! it updates amongst other things being able to read or burn more discs that are for sale aswell as bug fixes!

7. james111

james111 Regular member

i did the firmware update but it still gives me the error so i decided to try other programs so i tried using magiciso but it dosent burn it stays on 0% so i tried dvd decrypter same thing, i was looking around for my LG cd and i found the case of dvds that came with the dvd writer when i tried burning same thing happend. i am really lost here

8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

its got to be hardware meaning your pc setup! not the apps then!

ok time to check a few things out!

[bold]so you have emptied your temp folders and tried it! and defraged your pc and it didnt work! [/bold]

ok now you have done that lets move to the next step! read below and dont miss anything out as after this i have no idea! sorry...

----------------------------------------
    HAVE YOU INSTALLED THE BURNER YOURSELF????????? did you set the jumpers correctly?????? is it on its own cable to the motherboard or does it share another drive????? if so you need to set the master and slave!

use nero info tool to look at this window! and tell me whats there!

[​IMG]

if you can take a picture and upload to a website then paste the url here so i can see it. or email it to me!
    ----------------------------------------

1. Running Programs

Make sure you quit all running background programs, such as anti-virus software.

Windows 95 Users
    Use the Ctrl-Alt-Del function to quit all the programs using the Task Manager, EXCEPT for the Explorer, systray, and your recording software

Windows 98/ME Users
    Select [Start] -> [Run], then input "msconfig". Disable everything under the [Startup] tab, except "system tray'.

Windows 2000/XP Users
    Open the Task Manager, then select the program/s under the [Application] tab, then click [End Task].

2. Drive Connection

Other devices may be interfering with the CD-R/RW drive. Disconnect all other removable devices, then try recording again. If there is still a problem, try the following.

Optimal Hardware Configuration

All hard drives are placed on the Primary IDE, check that the drives are correctly set as master/slave. CD-ROM/CD-R/RW drives are placed on the Secondary IDE, set the recording drive as the "master". If you are using a USB or IEEE devices, disconnect them.

Update your chipset

Windows 95/98/ME Users
    Right click on [My Computer] and select [Properties] from the menu. Click on [Device Manager], then click to open [Hard Disk Controllers]. You will find: the Primary IDE Channel controller, the Secondary IDE Channel controller and a brand name controller, e.g. Intel, SIS, VIA, etc. The brand name controller is what needs to be updated. Please visit their website to obtain these updates.

Windows NT/2000/XP Users
    Right click on [My Computer] and select [Properties] from the menu. Click [Device Manager] on the [Hardware] tab, then click to open the [IDE ATA/ATAPI (hard disk) controllers] section. You will find: the Primary IDE Channel controller, Secondary IDE Channel controller, and a brand name controller, e.g. Intel, SIS, VIA, etc. The brand name controller is what needs to be updated. Please visit their website to obtain these updates.

Configure Windows
    Make sure that your operating system has been fully updated. Visit the Microsoft website to acquire these updates.

3. ASPI Manager

Check your ASPI layer configuration. Your recording program is likely to use the standard windows ASPI layer, which has been replaced by another ASPI layer of yet another recording program. Make sure you have the original windows ASPI layer in use and retry. If the problem persists, contact the drive maker.

4. DMA Settings

Setting DMA mode:

Windows 95/98/ME Users

Right click on [My Computer] and select [Properties] from the menu. Click on [Device Manager], then click on [CD-ROM]. This will expand to show the CD drives on your system. Right click on a drive and select [Properties] from the menu. Click on the [Settings] tab and check that the [DMA] option is enabled. Repeat this procedure for the remaining CD drives.

Win NT/2000/XP Users

Right click on [My Computer] and select [Properties] from the menu. Click [Device Manager] on the [Hardware] tab, then click to open the [IDE ATA/ATAPI (hard disk) controllers] section. You will find: the Primary IDE Channel controller, Secondary IDE Channel controller. Complete the following procedure:

Right click on the Primary IDE controller and select [Properties] from the menu.
    Select the [Advanced Settings] tab. Check that the [Transfer Mode] for both devices is set to [DMA if available].
    Repeat this for Secondary IDE controller.

Note: In some cases older CD-ROM drives will not support DMA mode. In that case please set both devices to PIO mode.

5. Disc

Recording errors often occur when the disc is dirty, or has fingerprints or scratches. If an error occurred during test simulation (before actual recording), clean the disc. If you are getting recording errors, try the following.
    Use a different blank, recordable disc.
    Use a different manufacturer's disc.
    Ensure the disc is clean before recording:
    Remove all fingerprints, dirt, and dust from the shiny side of your disc using a nonabrasive cloth with a mild, nonabrasive soap solution.
    Wipe the disc from the center to the edge of the disc.
    Dry the disc completely.

Error during file verification
    If an error occurred when the files were being verified, record the same files again using a different disc.

Read error when copying a disc
    When copying a disc, if an error occurred while reading data from the original disc, the original disc may be scratched or dirty.
    Try cleaning the disc.
    Remove all fingerprints, dirt, and dust from the shiny side of your disc using a nonabrasive cloth with a mild, nonabrasive soap solution.
    Wipe the disc from the center to the edge of the disc.
    Dry the disc completely.
    Try using a different source drive.
    To change the drive you use to read your disc, click the Change button when asked to insert a source disc into your drive tray.
    Select the drive you wish to use from the drop-down menu.
    Insert your disc into the new drive.
    Try using copying the disc using one drive as both the source and destination drive.
    When you use your recorder to both read and write to your disc, B's Recorder GOLD creates an image file of the entire disc to your hard drive and then copies that temporary file onto your blank disc. This can be helpful if the drive you are using to read your original disc is slow or unreliable.

If the problem persists, contact the drive maker.

6. Drive

If you have tried Actions 1 through 5 above, there may be a problem with your drive. Contact the drive maker with details of the error code. If the 5th and 6th digit of the error code is 80 through FF, then the error code is maker unique. The descriptions of these error codes differ depending on the maker.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2005
  9. james111

james111 Regular member

for the neroinfo her it is
    -*** unkown
    -*** GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE47
    * ****** DMA on
    -*** GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE47
    * ******* DMA on
    -*** HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4160B
    * ******* DMA on
    * ******* Autorun off
    -*** 52X32X52X CD-RW
    ********** DMA on
    ********** Autorun off

i tryed all of them but for 2. mine says dual fifo i searched on google but couldnt find anything

10. james111

james111 Regular member

i founld out that my ASPI was for win98 so i download the winme now the drive is missing and it says missing windows file

11. james111

james111 Regular member

12. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

1, find out what your motherboard is and go to the website and download all the chipset drivers like VIA4in1 etc and install them!

then when insatlled and you reboot your pc do #2

2,download force aspi layer and install
    http://clonecd.gearhost.net/clonecd/forceASPI17.zip

13. james111

james111 Regular member

inside the aspi folder do i do just the INSTAASPI or i have to do something else.

14. lovatto

lovatto Member

Hello,

I was having the same problem and would like to share what solved the issue for me. I found the answer in a forum but now I canĀ“t find it anymore, so I am posting this for the record:
    if you have an nvidia based chipset in your motherboard (mine has this nforce2 chipset), unistall the SM bus controller. In the Add/Remove programs tab, go to NVidia Drivers and uninstall the SM bus controller driver for the chipset.
    Hope this helps.
    /Clayton

15. lovatto

lovatto Member